No announcement yet.

Micky Thompson ATZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they do look pretty open, the tread design looks a bit softer/less aggressive than the generals, the sidewall lugs look a bit more aggresive though.

As you know, there's loads of tyres out there all with advantages and disadvantages, even if i decided i wanted BFG's i couldn't justify the initial spend.

What size are you looking for, 33s or going back to 31s or something in between? Are they to replace the muds with an AT that will do a bit of everything and eat up the miles, or are they gonna be mostly a road tyre but taking you to morrocco? and back next year, and keep the muds for your local offroad stuff?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
      Spot on mate, they are a cheap tyre!! If your not doing loooads of miles then they wont be an issue for a long time to come.

They are an amazing tyre so you cant go wrong!!

Im on BFG MT an dont notice any vibrations in the wheel.
      good good. al need to tell my mate his is not right then. ha ha no luck for him, he says its was cos they were so chunky

Comment

Try Mudzillas if you want vibration! Slowing to a stop, its like rolling over thos raised marks they paint on the road as you approach roundabouts etc!

They are bleedin noisy, buzzy. But, they are a much more extreme mud than a BFG MT and similar tread.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

If money is not an issue then BFG I now run he 33" BFG MTs and they are spot on. No noise or vibrationto talk of and perfect off raod. I wuld imagine the ATs are evy bit as good. But as I said above the GGs are unbeatable i terms of value for moiey
          Brian

Comment

Nero, as you say, they'll stay on the truck 90% of the time, and will take me to Pyrenees next year.

The Mudzillas are noticeably thirstier than even the Kumho (BFG mud pattern) I had on before. I'll keep those for playtimes.

Sticking with 33s though. 31s look lost on my truck.

Comment

I used to be in the tyre business and in my opinion and experience:

I would go for BFG's every time if you have the cash, a set of these are capable of 100,000 miles are extremely hard wearing and are made by Michelin

The Generals' are a very good subsitute will do comparative mileage and are cheaper ( these are made by Continental)

I don't run off road in my Surf and have been running on General UHP's, now have a set of Kumho's on the front axle, these are good tyres but soft and you will get less milage than the BFG's and Generals.

I guess its down to personal preference and finances, If any of the local guy's need new tyres, give me a shout 1st, I can still get a reasonable discount.
              Entered this world with nothing, ain't got much of it left.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy 69 View Post
                I used to be in the tyre business and in my opinion and experience:

I would go for BFG's every time if you have the cash, a set of these are capable of 100,000 miles are extremely hard wearing and are made by Michelin

The Generals' are a very good subsitute will do comparative mileage and are cheaper ( these are made by Continental)

I don't run off road in my Surf and have been running on General UHP's, now have a set of Kumho's on the front axle, these are good tyres but soft and you will get less milage than the BFG's and Generals.

I guess its down to personal preference and finances, If any of the local guy's need new tyres, give me a shout 1st, I can still get a reasonable discount.
                Shout!!!

How much for a set of BFG 33 x 10.50 x 15???
                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Never MickeyT tyres Andy, I have Pit Bulls on the 4Runner.

I'd always stump up for BFG A/T's on any dual purpose truck, we've had nothing but good time with ours over the years and they last forever with decent tracking. BFG M/T's run nearly as nice as lots of Budget A/T's and work great offroad.

I've had two sets of Khumo M/T's recently, 31's on the 4Runner, and 35's on the pickup. They are a very good mud terrain tyre for little cash and for this get my vote.

Always skipped General Grabbers as the Khumos are cheaper, and the BFG's are better, so they've always got left out when I buy tyres for our junk.

If I want serious tyre my Boggers go on.

I do like look of the KL71's though, but never enough to change what we have.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                    Shout!!!

How much for a set of BFG 33 x 10.50 x 15???
                    A 33x10.5 will look very skinny. You will get 12.5 on an 8j rim
                    Brian

Comment

I think my choice is down to BFG-AT and GG-AT depending on price I can get, and availability.

If there is discount available, I'm after 33 x 12.5 fitted on preferably 10" -32 rims, but would take 8" if the price is right. (I'd just swap my muds onto the 8" ones in the long term)

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        A 33x10.5 will look very skinny. You will get 12.5 on an 8j rim
                        I have a spare set of 15 x 7s so the 10.50s will fit them.....not too bothered about them being skinny, less tram lining....
                        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I've had my Surf about a month now and have just read the thread above and found it very interesting. I have just read the info on my tyres [which still have tread on them] and don't understand and I am unable to correlate with your types.

4 of my tyres are MARSHALL Power 70 P265/70 R15 110T M+S, the spare is a Bridgestone Dueler H/T P265/70 R15 110T. They look like a big fat version of whats on the wifes Corsa.

Q. When it is time to change shortly [for mainly road use (to start with)]
                          1, what should be the correct tyre size be
                          2, best type/make/tread for 1 above
                          3, best supplier(s)
                          4, as above but for a trip to Africa. I've read many articles including Bundu Bashers very informative site.

Appreciate your comments/suggestions
                          If it ain't fun it ain't worth doing!

Comment

Originally posted by BushBuster View Post
                            I've had my Surf about a month now and have just read the thread above and found it very interesting. I have just read the info on my tyres [which still have tread on them] and don't understand and I am unable to correlate with your types.

4 of my tyres are MARSHALL Power 70 P265/70 R15 110T M+S, the spare is a Bridgestone Dueler H/T P265/70 R15 110T. They look like a big fat version of whats on the wifes Corsa.

Q. When it is time to change shortly [for mainly road use (to start with)]
                            1, what should be the correct tyre size be
                            2, best type/make/tread for 1 above
                            3, best supplier(s)
                            4, as above but for a trip to Africa. I've read many articles including Bundu Bashers very informative site.

Appreciate your comments/suggestions
                            Don't worry mate everyone on here talks of tyre size in inches as a norm. I run 16" rims so I have 305/75/16 which in this thread would equate to 33"x12.5"x16".
                            Camskill are a great supplier if it's tyes alone you are after. Sliverline do good tyre/wheel packages.

Remember to go bigger than a 31" or 265/75 you will need to lift the Surf

Use this link to convert imperial to metric
                            Last edited by yoshie; 18 June 2008, 16:26.
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy 69 View Post
                              I

My truck had BFG's all round when I bought it, they were slightly worn.

I got over a 110,000km's out of them, but that was rotating the spare in amongst the front pair. The rears stayed on and just seemed to go forever.

They are a very hard wearing tyre and if I had the cash I would go for them every time.
                              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                                My truck had BFG's all round when I bought it, they were slightly worn.

I got over a 110,000km's out of them, but that was rotating the spare in amongst the front pair. The rears stayed on and just seemed to go forever.

They are a very hard wearing tyre and if I had the cash I would go for them every time.
                                Post 2000 who better to reply to.

Andy glad to hear it as I spent over £500 recently on BFG MTs
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X