WVO and water question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WVO and water question

Just after some additional advice regarding water removal from WVO, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

Several possibilites at the moment, and just wondering which might be the best way to progress.

1) Chuck all the oil into a 55 gallon steel drum, (rough filtering it on the way in), and then heat the oil in that container to attempt to shift any water and then just let it settle for a few days, then run it through a fuel filter for the final filtering.

2) Plastic 120 litre drum. Pop the oil into there, (again rough filtering on the way in), and just leave the oil in there for upto a week or two for any solids and/or water to settle via gravity, then tap off from about a fifth of the way up the drum through a fuel filter for the final filtering. Thought one of those water butts with the tap near the bottom might be useful for this option. Possibly add another outlet slightly further up than the tap, and use that to pull the oil from, and then just use the tap to drain out the dregs/water.

Opinions or suggestions?

p.s: Yes, I know i'm an over complicating finnicky fart.

i would of said opt 1 would be best

Comment

You're not being picky - If the WVO has been cooking chips it will have water in it.

I did see a set up where the guy had a number of 25litre clear plastic drums, all placed inside what looked like a large closh/small green house kind of thing.

The set up was in a sunny part of his garden and painted black. Relies on the sun though, so not so good for the winter!
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

dont get me wrong i know nothing on the subject,but oil spits at heat when theres water in it,is there no way of warming it to remove water(and no i dont mean do it in a frying pan lol)

Comment

water reducing admixture??

dunno what it is, but they put it in concrete.... it's brown and stains the back of the mixer when it spills!!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
            water reducing admixture??

dunno what it is, but they put it in concrete.... it's brown and stains the back of the mixer when it spills!!
            That stuff is the same as using fairy liquid, keeps the mix pliable but without the bubbles.

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
              dont get me wrong i know nothing on the subject,but oil spits at heat when theres water in it,is there no way of warming it to remove water(and no i dont mean do it in a frying pan lol)
              To separate the water from the oil it is heated to about 50deg C, the water sinks to the bottom where it can be drawn off via a low mounted tap.

Its not heated like when you're making chips!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                That stuff is the same as using fairy liquid, keeps the mix pliable but without the bubbles.
                isn't that "super plasticiser"??... smells of ammonia and first time i had a load of it, i stuck my head in the drum to wash out and nearly fell off the ladder!!
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                  isn't that "super plasticiser"??... smells of ammonia and first time i had a load of it, i stuck my head in the drum to wash out and nearly fell off the ladder!!
                  its called Febmix ain't it to keep the mix pliable and it does smell of ammonia especially when you have a good sniff of it
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Heating the oil would decrease the value of any saving you were making using WVO.
                    Will the water trap on engine filter not do the job? I know yoshie pays it no attention and his has run fine, only requiring a filter change after losing power but he had been running veg for some time.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                      Heating the oil would decrease the value of any saving you were making using WVO.

CORRECT - WHICH IS WHY PEEPS TRY TO COME UP WITH CHEAP METHODS

Will the water trap on engine filter not do the job?

DUNNO!

I know yoshie pays it no attention and his has run fine, only requiring a filter change after losing power but he had been running veg for some time.

IF HE IS RUNNING WVO MAYBE ITS IN GOOD NICK , RISKY THOUGH.

Comment

Why risky Andy? I know nothing about this stuff, I have the luxury of only driving 10 miles a day total for work.
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                          Why risky Andy? I know nothing about this stuff, I have the luxury of only driving 10 miles a day total for work.
                          When veg oil is heated for cooking it chemically alters. WVO should be modified to bring it back to be more like diesel (SVO is not quite the same as diesel but its close enough).

This site has a good write up on it

http://www.biodiesel-fuel.co.uk/how-to-make-biodiesel/

The risk comes from sending soap though your fuel system.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                            When veg oil is heated for cooking it chemically alters. WVO should be modified to bring it back to be more like diesel (SVO is not quite the same as diesel but its close enough).

This site has a good write up on it

http://www.biodiesel-fuel.co.uk/how-to-make-biodiesel/

The risk comes from sending soap though your fuel system.
                            I had a good read and I understand now. cheers Andy.
                            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                              You're not being picky
                              Remind me never to use Google again though. Why can the VO community always throw more contradictory information around than you can shake a stick at?

Heat it so that it thins and the oil and water will separate easier. Which is the general advice for suspended water, it would seem.
                              That, however, is then counteracted by the supposed possibility that heating can cause the absorbed moisture content to become higher, or something suchlike. I've forgotten the specifics due to the amount of techno-drudge I've been sifting through. (Btw, this is the reason I disappeared for several hours after posting this thread. If I see another dual drum setup picture, I'm gonna scream). Gone into brain melt mode now.

Comment

Working...
                              X