Mud pattern tyre shortage - 16'' rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
    Christ, you've been doing your research. But yeah, after I had them delivered I was told by numerous peeps that they should have gone onto 8'' or preferably 10'' wide rims.

So a 11.5'' tyre might be better for my rims.

Having said that, I have never had any problems and they have seen some action over the past couple of years.
    I'm a tyre geek now mate!!

Im not sure how much more 'dangerous' it would be having a 12.50 on a 7" rather then 11.50 on a 7"... its only about 10mm each side difference.

At the end of the day i would see how much ££ it comes down too! If its silly money extra to go 305/70 then i could be swayed.... maybe

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
      7.50R16 and they way it's written denotes whether it's radial or crossply construction, the R in the 2nd example denoting radial, not sure if the decimal point is of any significance.

as much as i believe skinny tyres may well perform better offroad in a lot of circumstances, that's taking the pee a touch.
      Wasn't this a standard size on old military Landy Defenders? Could be wrong, but wasn't this the size that Bundubasher run on his truck when in Africa?
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        Wasn't this a standard size on old military Landy Defenders? Could be wrong, but wasn't this the size that Bundubasher run on his truck when in Africa?
        yeah had them on my landy
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          twas indeed, the reasoning behind it i don't know though, or understand going quite that skinny, i can only assume it was a tyre size that was easily available or popular way back when and it just stuck. I like the 10.50s on the surf, but don't want to go any wider, i quite fancy going a little taller so may look for some 16" rims and go 235/85/16 (32x9.50 ish)when the time comes around again.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

I seem to recall that a couple of tyre companies made extremely strong, long lived tyres in that size specifically for the military, hence the 'popularity' of the size for some uses .
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Probably cost driven decision as well.
              Plus the ability to swap tires with other vehicles.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
              X