Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    Oooh, 'dovetail', 'learning curve'...

I think he's right though. You need to get your ladder up against their wall so you can get your iguanas in one sock. You can then firebrigade into their customer-centric synergistic expectations. Hell, its a self licking lollipop, man!

(You will NEVER out-buzzword me. I spent over 20 years with MoD)
    yeah well synergy wise and with some blue sky thinking,this win win outcome ,or indeed this self licking lollipop.......nurse nurse !!!
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

ok after consulting my PA (mrs chaos) and taking onboard your thoughts and help, here's a re-draft.

Thank you for contacting me via e-mail after the Gifford open day. I am writing to you with regard to the positions available for Graduate Engineers in Highways or Marine within your Southampton office.
      In 2006 I graduated from Kingston University with a Bsc Hons in Construction Engineering. During my course I completed a module on traffic and transport engineering, which I took a great interest in. This was furthered by my block release workings with the contractor Edmund Nuttall Ltd; as I was on sites which involved road building. This helped me see the whole highway design and construction process. I would be very keen to further develop my skills and understanding in this area.
      I am now working for Poole Harbour Commissioners in the Engineering Department. This is useful in giving me an understanding of marine engineering and how ports operate and develop.
      I would like to think of myself as a self motivated individual. A trait which has helped me complete the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, a tandem skydive and the Three Peaks Challenge, all of which were for charity.
      My methodical approach allows me to work efficiently as an individual or as part of team. I feel at ease in social situations as I am part of a vehicle owners club which has regular meets. I am not afraid of a challenge, as part of the owners club I am learning many new skills in order to customise and modify my vehicle. And if I am a successful applicant I look forward to the many new challenges ahead.

Respectfully yours,
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
        ok after consulting my PA (mrs chaos) and taking onboard your thoughts and help, here's a re-draft.

Thank you for contacting me via e-mail after the Gifford open day. I am writing to you with regard to the positions available for Graduate Engineers in Highways or Marine within your Southampton office.
        In 2006 I graduated from Kingston University with a Bsc Hons in Construction Engineering. During my course I completed a module on traffic and transport engineering, which I took a great interest in. This was furthered by my block release workings with the contractor Edmund Nuttall Ltd; as I was on sites which involved road building. This helped me see the whole highway design and construction process. I would be very keen to further develop my skills and understanding in this area.
        I am now working for Poole Harbour Commissioners in the Engineering Department. This is useful in giving me an understanding of marine engineering and how ports operate and develop.
        I would like to think of myself as a self motivated individual. A trait which has helped me complete the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, a tandem skydive and the Three Peaks Challenge, all of which were for charity.
        My methodical approach allows me to work efficiently as an individual or as part of team. I feel at ease in social situations as I am part of a vehicle owners club which has regular meets. I am not afraid of a challenge, as part of the owners club I am learning many new skills in order to customise and modify my vehicle even if i was part of a 2 man team who forgot to undo bolts while lifting the body on a surf to put in body spacers. And if I am a successful applicant I look forward to the many new challenges ahead.

Respectfully yours,
        redone for you m8 seriously though m8 good luck

Comment

One way of looking at a covering letter is to consider that while the CV deals with your technical qualifications and experience, the covering letter gives an idea of your behavioural capabilities. What with 'emotional intelligence' being one of the big current fads behavioural competencies are now given a lot more consideration. A lot of employers will nowadays stick you through a 'Tech Check' to cover the technical stuff and only consider the behavioural stuff at interviews, i.e no technical questions at all just a lot of stuff like 'give me an example of a situation where you were faced with a conflict with a colleague and how you dealt with it'.

Some of the behavioral stuff that could be covered includes your attitudes to:
          - working in a team (we'll get far further working as a team than we ever will as a collection of individuals);
          - change (you thrive on it) - no covering letter should be without this word;
          - personal development (this job will provide another piece in the jigsaw of your well planned career);
          - integrity (honesty, decency, respect and dignity to colleagues);
          - success (you celebrate it at every opportunity recognising as you do the importance it has for motivation and productivity)
          - excellence (you strive after it yourself and encourage it in your staff - both explicitly and by example
          - communication (you recognise the importance of this and are a skilled practitioner of written and verbal communications and are a brilliant presenter). Another must have buzz word.

Squeeze as much of this stuff into the covering letter as possible without turning it into a parody.

A lot of it is bullsh1t but if you can write it down you're more than half way there - it's what they want to see in the letter. Try to write the letter in terms of how you excelled in these areas in your last job and that you see the new job as providing you with the opportunity of taking you to the next level. As long as you don't then turn out to be a techie who sits in a corner refusing to speak to colleagues then you will be ok. In my view wrongly, simply being a techie who is 'merely' extremely productive is now no longer enough. Sad but true. We have lost sight of the fact that it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi View Post
            One way of looking at a covering letter is to consider that while the CV deals with your technical qualifications and experience, the covering letter gives an idea of your behavioural capabilities. What with 'emotional intelligence' being one of the big current fads behavioural competencies are now given a lot more consideration. A lot of employers will nowadays stick you through a 'Tech Check' to cover the technical stuff and only consider the behavioural stuff at interviews, i.e no technical questions at all just a lot of stuff like 'give me an example of a situation where you were faced with a conflict with a colleague and how you dealt with it'.

Some of the behavioral stuff that could be covered includes your attitudes to:
            - working in a team (we'll get far further working as a team than we ever will as a collection of individuals);
            - change (you thrive on it) - no covering letter should be without this word;
            - personal development (this job will provide another piece in the jigsaw of your well planned career);
            - integrity (honesty, decency, respect and dignity to colleagues);
            - success (you celebrate it at every opportunity recognising as you do the importance it has for motivation and productivity)
            - excellence (you strive after it yourself and encourage it in your staff - both explicitly and by example
            - communication (you recognise the importance of this and are a skilled practitioner of written and verbal communications and are a brilliant presenter). Another must have buzz word.

Squeeze as much of this stuff into the covering letter as possible without turning it into a parody.

A lot of it is bullsh1t but if you can write it down you're more than half way there - it's what they want to see in the letter. Try to write the letter in terms of how you excelled in these areas in your last job and that you see the new job as providing you with the opportunity of taking you to the next level. As long as you don't then turn out to be a techie who sits in a corner refusing to speak to colleagues then you will be ok. In my view wrongly, simply being a techie who is 'merely' extremely productive is now no longer enough. Sad but true. We have lost sight of the fact that it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
            some one knows there stuff
            i have had something very close to that said to me on a corse i went on
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post

In 2006 I graduated from Kingston University with a Bsc Hons in Construction Engineering. I would like to think of myself as a self motivated individual. Hence I am a monkey that will work happily for the nuts you shell out on a monthly basis, whether they be of the pistachio, cashew or pea variety. I will continue as I have in my present role to be both a "yes-man" and a man who can pucker up to the brown starfish in order to further my own ambition up the greasy corporate pole. Further I would hope that you will not be overly dramatic or alarmist over the number of people whom I shall personally trample over or back-stab in an effort to feather my own nest, a trait which has helped me complete the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, a tandem skydive and the Three Peaks Challenge, all of which were for charity.
              My methodical approach allows me to work efficiently as an individual or as part of team, although the members of that team who were either hospitalised and or referred for pschiatric evaluation after "the incident" had nothing to do with me whatsoever (please refer to the court transcripts for evidence). I feel at ease in social situations as I am part of a vehicle owners club which has regular meets, they do kid around some though, and I have spent many a fun evening covered in used engine oil, stark naked tied to a chair on a busy roundabout (the other members assure me they do this to everyone in the group eventually). I am not afraid of a challenge, as part of the owners club I am learning many new skills in order to customise and modify my vehicle, although when they told me to put the Barbie tassles on my wing mirrors I was a little uncertain, but they assured me they look really cool.
              If I am a successful applicant I look forward to the many new challenges ahead.

Respectfully yours,
              Re-drafted to account for 100% truth serum effectiveness.
              Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L3Mm1n6 View Post
                Re-drafted to account for 100% truth serum effectiveness.
                lol thanks

Comment

I've just remembered the second reason why I'd never become an employee ever again. Are these people, (employers), for real? What does that crap, (not C.C's specific info, but the motivation bumph concept in general), have to do with being suitable for a job?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    I've just remembered the second reason why I'd never become an employee ever again. Are these people, (employers), for real? What does that crap, (not C.C's specific info, but the motivation bumph concept in general), have to do with being suitable for a job?
                    hell if I know. But hey, you want job you jump through hoop. You wanna keep job, you jump through hoop. There's a pattern somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X