would you hire me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you hire me?

based on this cover letter (sorry motivation letter) plus anyone think it needs adjusting?

Thank you for contacting me via e-mail after the Gifford open day. I am writing to you with regard to the position available for an Assistant Engineer within your Southampton office.
    I have graduated from Kingston University in 2005 with a Bsc Honours degree in construction engineering. During this course I completed modules in the following:
    · Traffic and transport engineering
    · Contract law
    · Surveying
    · Building maintenance
    Whilst at university I did work placements on block release with the contractor Edmund Nuttall Ltd. During those times I worked on varied sites as an assistant engineer. My responsibilities were to set out and control works such as:
    · Highways and drainage
    · Flood defences
    · Reinforced concrete structures
    The skills I learnt while I worked on site were used to gain an NVQ level 3 in Site Technical Support, which was provided as part of the university course.
    I am now currently working in an engineer’s office at Poole Harbour Commissioners. My duties range from arranging contractors to come in carry out general repairs to the port estate, to writing specifications and contract documents to be put out to tender for larger projects. Since working in a drawing office I have gained a working knowledge of AutoCAD Architectural 2009. Also Microsoft programmes Word, Excel and Outlook.
    Thank you for your time and I hope that you will consider me for an interview.

Respectfully yours,
    Hold my beer and watch this

All of that information should be on your CV.

Your 'letter of motivation' should explain why you want to work for that company, doing that specific job.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
      All of that information should be on your CV.

Your 'letter of motivation' should explain why you want to work for that company, doing that specific job.
      it pays more than what I'm earning at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
        it pays more than what I'm earning at the moment
        You might want to make some other stuff up....

Comment

Sorry sir we are unable to offer you a job!! far to accident prone!

off topic but those parts are in the post and should be with you tomorrow!!

Comment

Oh p.s as long as that is in the CV dont put it in the covering letter!

put in you feel you have given all you can in your current role and are looking for some new challenges and to forward your carrer!!

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
              Oh p.s as long as that is in the CV dont put it in the covering letter!

put in you feel you have given all you can in your current role and are looking for some new challenges and to forward your carrer!!
              thanks, will re-draft another one.

Cheers for the parts too.

Comment

NO
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

as a demolition derby driver yes2thumbsup
                  iv'e seen the potential
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                    You might want to make some other stuff up....
                    I still think my motivation note was more suited.

Comment

Most of that should be in you CV, Cover letter should be brief, easy to read and include:

why you want to work for them
                      How wonderful you are
                      How great they are
                      What you can bring to there team
                      how they will benefit from employing you.

And how you are looking forward to working with them!

Good Luck
                      If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

it should also state that you have your own p.p.e. but you dont really need to use it coz anyone with a head as hard as yours...........
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

You should maybe state that you can find your place of work consistently, and not be damaged by it

In reality, they want their egos stoked. Tell them how the whole point of your life so far has been waiting to work for them. (In not so obvious fashion)
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by mckirdy-services View Post
                            Most of that should be in you CV, Cover letter should be brief, easy to read and include:

why you want to work for them
                            How wonderful you are
                            How great they are
                            What you can bring to there team
                            how they will benefit from employing you.

And how you are looking forward to working with them!

Good Luck
                            Research their curent contracts and explain what a great asset you would be to them on these, how your knowledge would dovetail into their manaagement team and how short a learning curve you would need.

Best of Luck
                            Tony
                            www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Puppywalker View Post
                              Research their curent contracts and explain what a great asset you would be to them on these, how your knowledge would dovetail into their manaagement team and how short a learning curve you would need.

Best of Luck
                              Tony
                              Oooh, 'dovetail', 'learning curve'...

I think he's right though. You need to get your ladder up against their wall so you can get your iguanas in one sock. You can then firebrigade into their customer-centric synergistic expectations. Hell, its a self licking lollipop, man!

(You will NEVER out-buzzword me. I spent over 20 years with MoD)
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X