yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of getting a car that's cheaper to run than the surf!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Growler View Post
    I've just had to do the same meself mate. Only diference being i went for a newer model as i'm putting over 800miles a week on it. Picked up the 1.5Dci model and am getting a constant 55+mpg out of it, and bonus is only £35 road tax.
    Aye, that's what the ex missus drives, great little cars, only I can't afford to buy another one!

I'll just have to start at the bottom again, I've seen a citroen ZX for £500-£700 on ebay, with only 60k on the clock.
    They'll give 50mpg and should do 2-300,000 miles before they die, only down side is the £185 in road tax and the fact that the car is in coventry, so if I want it, I'll have to buy blind, although that's what you do anyway really, as you never know what you've got until you've put a few thousand miles on it.

I do 5-600 miles a week, so driving the surf to work is killing me ( it ain't doing the surf a lot of good either)
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
      I'll just have to start at the bottom again, I've seen a citroen ZX for £500-£700 on ebay, with only 60k on the clock.
      They'll give 50mpg and should do 2-300,000 miles before they die, only down side is the £185 in road tax and the fact that the car is in coventry, so if I want it, I'll have to buy blind, although that's what you do anyway really, as you never know what you've got until you've put a few thousand miles on it.

I do 5-600 miles a week, so driving the surf to work is killing me ( it ain't doing the surf a lot of good either)
      Work permitting i may be able to give it a once over for you if you wanted, at least you'll know how accurate the description would be. Think i'm in Heathrow, Crawley and Clacton this week though

Comment

Have a look at peugeot 106 diesels (1.5) Plenty of poke, group 2 insurance cheap tax and look pretty too. I just looked at one for a friend it was a T-plate for £650 and only 70k on clock with mot and tax. 65 MPG . That would be my choice mate as they do have a bit of go in em. Sancho's AX is the same engine although not quite as pretty but same as 106 they run on fresh air
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Work permitting i may be able to give it a once over for you if you wanted, at least you'll know how accurate the description would be. Think i'm in Heathrow, Crawley and Clacton this week though
          Aye thanks, I'll have another look at it, and maybe talk to the garage.
          It's a 1.2 or 1.4 petrol model, so I'm not sure what they do to the gallon, but it's cheap coz it's been "posted" ( reversed into lamp post).

I'll let you know.
          Rob

Comment

i know it could be classed as a bit girly (though there are quite a few driven by men in cheltenham)but have you considered a smart car, two seater, four seater or sports , my wife has a two seater gets 60mpg (super unleaded)and £35.00 road tax per year. 600 cc turbo charged top speed 75mph the 700 cc is faster then there is the 1000cc and the brabus tuned ones.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner View Post
              Have a look at peugeot 106 diesels (1.5) Plenty of poke, group 2 insurance cheap tax and look pretty too. I just looked at one for a friend it was a T-plate for £650 and only 70k on clock with mot and tax. 65 MPG . That would be my choice mate as they do have a bit of go in em. Sancho's AX is the same engine although not quite as pretty but same as 106 they run on fresh air
              Aye, that'd do me for sure, it's just hard to find one down here at that price, and I wonder why people are selling their "great little cars" if they're so great?

I worry about buying a lemon!

Those little froggy diesels should be good for 2-300k if they've had regular oil changes, so as long as the milage ain't silly I'm not that bothered.
              Last edited by plumb bob; 5 May 2008, 18:10.
              Rob

Comment

Aye, that'd do me for sure, it's just hard to find one down here at that price, and I wonder why people are selling their "great little cars" if they're so great?
                I would be happier buying a small car thats fairly old then buying a new one.

Most of the people selling the cars would probably be about 18 or so after having there first car an wanting to move up to something more powerful etc.

a new car is just being sold before it falls apart before its first MOT! someone just trying to pass the car on before they realise the depreciation is huge!

I worry about buying a lemon!
                Dont blame you mate!! I'm sure with some advise from here if need be you'll get a decent car!

You should go tyre kicking with my Dads mate Garry! The jammy sod always gets a total bargain!!

Comment

my peugeot 406 1.9td was slow and no fun to drive... but did nearly 50mpg and was really reliable... never a problem starting... but it did smell like a dead dog!!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-ZX-Vol...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Most of the diesels seem to have very high milage, I looked at a pug 106 this evening, it had 160,000 miles on it, and although the engine sounded ok, the female driver had obviously driven into every pothole she could find for about 100,000 of those.
                      The knocking and cluncking from the suspension when hitting the smallest of bumps in the road was quite alarming.
                      What is it with women and cars, can't they feel the road when driving, does childbirth alter their sense of feel???

Anyhoo, I'll look at some more soon.

There are a lot of petrol engined pugs and clio's around, on low milage and cheap, but I can't find any info on the MPG for the 1.2 and 1.4 model clio's, any ideas??
                      Last edited by plumb bob; 30 April 2008, 08:11.
                      Rob

Comment

There are a lot of petrol engined pugs and clio's around, on low milage and cheap, but I can't find any info on the MPG for the 1.2 and 1.4 model clio's, any ideas??
                        Have a look at the parkers car guide web site mate http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...aspx?manu=8219
                        You should find all the info you need there

Comment

Have a look at the parkers car guide web site mate http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...aspx?manu=8219
                          You should find all the info you need there
                          Thanks, good web site that, although it looks like they are a little behind on the prices, as their valuations are about 2/3rd the current market rate, which will be due to the obcene cost of fuel.

I've seen a clio diesel, and test driven it, the garage want £995 for it, but it is clean, and he'll put a new MOT on it, and I'll try to get something off, or a new set of tyres.

We'll see how it goes.
                          Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X