Is it Art? (iculation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
    a huffenpuff, stamp the foot and sulk in the corner (not playing anymore!)methinks
    Gotta go and pick all those toys up now....

Comment

You've got it the wrong way round Paul. The front CV's are the weakest part of the whole drivetrain, welding/locking the front, mean when you lift a front wheel, 100% of torque is on the wheel left on the ground. Which is great for traction, but not great of the CV joint, an open or LSD diff relieves strain on the CV's, as the other wheel can spin a little and take away some of the load.

I'd always put a locker in the back first.

Welding isn't a option on the back on a road truck, so the front gets done as you can fit locking hubs for on the street. But on full lock under any sort of load, you will demolish CV joints with a locked front. (but I have a pile of good used ones....) Especially with big tyres.

Improved flex is the way to go, keeping all the wheels on the floor negates the need for a locker, its been LR's philosophy for never fitting lockers from way back.

but you need to consider this with a Surfs lame front articualtion, with you really can't do anything aobut because of the shortness of the wishbones and front driveshafts.

If you have the cash, lock the rear. If you have no cash weld the front and fit manual hubs.

Driving a truck with locked diffs a completely different style, you don't need to take a run up and rely on momentum. You can crawl up and over stuff with little effort and no RPM. Most people here would probably just break stuff with lockers

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
      I guess the best question to ask is why do you want improved articulation? I'm pretty sure it's to improve traction in cross-axle circumstances. In which case I think you'd be better off looking at some form of locking diff, that way it doesn't matter if one wheel is flailing around in the air. Of the two diffs, I also reckon the front is the one to do if you only do one. The main reason for this is because the front diff is the weaker of the two, and so locking it reduces the chance of breaking something because the power gets distributed more evenly. I've also seen a video of a LC demonstrating how much difference front and rear lockers made, and locking the front was a much bigger difference.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thats pretty much the answer I expected. The suspension geometry doesn't appear to allow much articulation, and I dont really want to go into the cost and complexity of lockers.

Therefore, I will continue to be circumspect about the lines I take... or give it the beans and hope there's nothing too solid to hit
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

id save for the solid front axle, although if that were mine id have the side step off too

Comment

Thats quite impressive. I'd say significant work has been done to the rear end suspension too...
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by pete-w- View Post
              id save for the solid front axle, although if that were mine id have the side step off too
              Now that, is uber cool...
              Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

now that's what i want mine to do ..... NIGEL

- although to be honest when the time comes the base vehicle will probly be a pickup of some sort
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X