Is it Art? (iculation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Art? (iculation)

Having cut down the rear bumpstops, fitted balljoing spacers, but down the front bumpstops etc etc, I just went onto the wasteground at work to try out some axle twisters.

Whilst it is better than it was - the rear wheels now push up into the arch without rubbing and on the most angular twister I could find, the spring seat came within 1/2" of the new shorter bumpstop, the articulation of the front end is pretty lame.

I know there are limits to what an IFS will do, but are there any ways to improve it without breaking the bank? (ie cant afford solid axle!)

I did notice that at one point, the rear lifted a wheel / opposite wheel pushed into the arch, but it was still possible to push the lifted wheel down. What is lifting it? The shock wasn't topped out or anything... At this point, there wasn't a huge amount of articulation at the front. I appreciate the rear will tend to articulate first as all the weight is at the front of the truck.

Any ideas to improve things, cheaply, and as radical as you like
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    Having cut down the rear bumpstops, fitted balljoing spacers, but down the front bumpstops etc etc, I just went onto the wasteground at work to try out some axle twisters.

Whilst it is better than it was - the rear wheels now push up into the arch without rubbing and on the most angular twister I could find, the spring seat came within 1/2" of the new shorter bumpstop, the articulation of the front end is pretty lame.

I know there are limits to what an IFS will do, but are there any ways to improve it without breaking the bank? (ie cant afford solid axle!)

I did notice that at one point, the rear lifted a wheel / opposite wheel pushed into the arch, but it was still possible to push the lifted wheel down. What is lifting it? The shock wasn't topped out or anything... At this point, there wasn't a huge amount of articulation at the front. I appreciate the rear will tend to articulate first as all the weight is at the front of the truck.

Any ideas to improve things, cheaply, and as radical as you like
    I guess the best question to ask is why do you want improved articulation? I'm pretty sure it's to improve traction in cross-axle circumstances. In which case I think you'd be better off looking at some form of locking diff, that way it doesn't matter if one wheel is flailing around in the air. Of the two diffs, I also reckon the front is the one to do if you only do one. The main reason for this is because the front diff is the weaker of the two, and so locking it reduces the chance of breaking something because the power gets distributed more evenly. I've also seen a video of a LC demonstrating how much difference front and rear lockers made, and locking the front was a much bigger difference.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

In view of Paul's comments above, maybe resurrect the thought of welding the front diff?

Comment

I guess the best question to ask is why do you want improved articulation?

Well, just for the hell of it really. I doubt I'm likely to find the kind of extreme things I was playing on today whilst out laning. It was more of a hypothetical thing. Are there cheap ways to improve articulation (for traction reasons) on an IFS truck?

Dont want to weld the diff as its too permanent, and guaranteed I WILL forget to unlock the hubs one day, and 'cue expensive sounds'

As for diff lockers, if I could afford them, I'd probably use them once in a blue moon, and I did say 'cheap' methods
        Last edited by Apache; 17 April 2008, 16:25.

Comment

Fairy nuff.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

I think I've suggested it before, but is there any kind of LSD that could replace the front diff - maybe from a different vehicle?

Comment

Yes I remember, and I think it was met with a huge silence then too

Comment

Yes I remember, and I think it was met with a huge silence then too
                Fine. Sort out your own entirely unnecessary way of getting extra traction to drive your wibbly-wobbly blancmange-mobile around your work car park.

Comment

Is it me or did that sound like a flounce ?????

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

It was supposed to. I learnt it from my girlfriend. She's much better than me though.

Comment

And because I can't put these things down....

Yours for $500AU or about £220.

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

or, for even less

http://www.offroadlockers.com/item.p...0/320003/.html
                      Last edited by Sancho; 17 April 2008, 17:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                        And because I can't put these things down....

Yours for $500AU or about £220.

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

or, for even less

http://www.offroadlockers.com/item.p...0/320003/.html
                        Cheers mate I'm for them. How good will my wee truck eat up Drum and Glentarki with those beauties fitted.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                          Fine. Sort out your own entirely unnecessary way of getting extra traction to drive your wibbly-wobbly blancmange-mobile around your work car park.
                          Uhhhh???

Why the outburst?

All I meant is your reasonable question fell on deaf ears last time too.

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

a huffenpuff, stamp the foot and sulk in the corner (not playing anymore!)methinks
                            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                            Tony

Comment

Uhhhh???

Why the outburst?

All I meant is your reasonable question fell on deaf ears last time too.
                              Sorry, just assumed you were taking the p1ss.

Comment

Working...
                              X