Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pirate-storm View Post
    hi n welcome to the mad house watch out for the squirrel n the yeti

kerrsurf is colour blind n everyone knows black is best!!!!

but he is right about 2.4's i wish i had got a 3l in the begining but saying that its a good ol truck bit slow on hills but ok.
    not much diff in use of fuel between the 2 really but the 3l got more humphhhh
    Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    Disregard most of the above, a blue 2.4 will rock your world.

Welcome to the nut house by the way
    Hi

Don't take any notice of these two, everyone knows that burgindidy is the way to go. Preferably with a generous mud top coat
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
      Hi

Don't take any notice of these two, everyone knows that burgindidy is the way to go. Preferably with a generous mud top coat
      what does he know poor fool he is use to running around in his hamster wheel n then he would still break something or get stuck

Comment

Oi

I ain't broke my truck for a few weeks now, or got stuck

Seem to remember though that your's wouldnt steer the other day!
        My other cars a QUAD
        (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
        http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Oi

that was due to the size of his gut catching the steering wheel so not able to turn it...
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Oi

oi little person i could steer it just didnt want to go around roundabouts

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
              that was due to the size of his gut catching the steering wheel so not able to turn it...
              n dont you start lanky

Comment

Air suspension?

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

With help and advice from here, I was beginning to think that my learning curve was leveling off slightly....until yesterday that is! Took the wife's car for MOT and spotted one of the mechanics at the garage working on his own off-roader. This machine was a serious piece of kit and the guy had obviously spent a lot of time and money on it...problem was, it was a Discovery.

I expected him to be biased toward LR but he didn't seem to be at all. He admitted that he hadn't done too much work on Surf's, but from what he could recall, they seemed to be a capable machine with its own set of problems just like any other. He seemed to think that the 3.0L is just as likely to suffer head problems as the 2.4L and also recalled that there were\are some issues related to the ECU on the 3.0L too, but couldn't remember exactly what the problem was, or had been. One thing he did suggest was to stay as far away from air suspension as possible, especially if there was the slightest chance that the vehicle would be used offroad....not just on the Surf, but in his opinion, any breed of 4x4. He didn't know exactly when Toyota had begun to fit air suspension to the Surf but said it could have been on what he called "The facelift model" around 1995. Am I correct in thinking this would be the 3rd gen and if so, is it fitted to all of them?

Your thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Alan
                If at first you don't succeed,
                Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Comment

I don't think any of the surfs have air suspension, unless modified ( or maybe 4th gen)

The 3rd gens have coil spring and damper all round, the 2nd gens have rear coil springs and front torsion bars, and the 1st gens have rear leaf springs and front torsion bars.
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

might be referring to the hard/soft suspension setting?...

don't think that ever really works?.. it's just like electrically adjustable shocks
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

They ARE electrically adjustable. Very simple, and work.

Never heard of a Surf with air suspension as standard. Never heard of more problems with 3.0 ECU over 2.4 ECU. Its basically the same box. 2.4 heads ARE more prone because of a fault.

More random heresay from garages...
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                      X