Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question

Hi

A newbie to the forum and to Surf's here.

Now the kids have buggered off to lead their own lives, I've recently decided that a new toy (a Hilux Surf) is in order - maybe a midlife crisis, but who cares? Before parting with my hard earned cash, I've decided that its probably best to hang around this forum for a while to find out as much as possible from those in the know, and to ask the odd question here and there.

So far, from what I've read here, I've come to the conclusion that the 3.0L model is preferable to the 2.4L but I don't seem to be able to find out the reasons for this. Having looked around at Surf's for sale locally, there does seem to be more of the 2.4L variety for sale than the 3.0L so maybe there is something I should know. Am I right in thinking this or have I completely misunderstood something? If I am right, could someone please explain why one is more preferable than the other?

Thanks in advance

Alan
    If at first you don't succeed,
    Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

More grunt, a lot more, roughly same fuel consumption and less engine problems overall. ( overheated and cracked heads)

really need to have a pros/cons list but most seem to agree the 3.0 is a better beast.

on the pro side for the 2.4 however is the relatively cheap abundance of spare parts, plenty of 2.4's breaking. ( a lot of body parts, trim etc is the same for all trucks but engine parts for the 3.0 can be pricey )

oh and grey is the best colour.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

the 3.0's tend to be a bit more expensive to buy as well.

Lots of 2.4 owners have great trucks they are really happy with and others are planning to buy a 3.0 for their next truck.
      I have driven both and I think if you do the same it will make your mind up.

It you need a stronger workhorse get the 3.0, if you just want a cheapish truck to play with and enjoy go for a good 2.4 that has had the head work already done.
      Alan

Comment

hi n welcome to the mad house watch out for the squirrel n the yeti

kerrsurf is colour blind n everyone knows black is best!!!!

but he is right about 2.4's i wish i had got a 3l in the begining but saying that its a good ol truck bit slow on hills but ok.
        not much diff in use of fuel between the 2 really but the 3l got more humphhhh

Comment

Disregard most of the above, a blue 2.4 will rock your world.

Welcome to the nut house by the way
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Go for a 3rd gen. They're now available for <£3k if you shop around. More modern than a 2nd gen, and being newer are probably gonna be more reliable. Those in the know reckon the 4wd system is better too.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks all for the prompt replies.

Hadn't noticed until just now that the very same question was asked on here only yesterday by ICE, so apologies for duplicating.

Looks like I'll be going the 3.0L 3rd gen route then once I've learnt enough about what I'm looking for.....and also if I can manage to find something decent to view that isn't a million miles away.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again

Alan

Comment

If you get a 3rd gen, drop me a note. I know an excellent hairdressing equipment supplier.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  If you get a 3rd gen, drop me a note. I know an excellent hairdressing equipment supplier.
                  Jealousy's a terrible thing.

I'll have a 3rd gen next (or a crew cab hilux) and all of the jokes will just roll off my shoulders - because I'm worth it.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

3rd gens do have excellent 4wd properties but look really gay.

your choice though.
                    Alan

Comment

Welcome to the nuthouse, come inside and make yourself at home.

Don't worry about our pirate, he's our example of care in the community (the guys with white coats wouldn't take him without a pay rise !)

3.0 litre is the way to go.

Trev
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Next question......

Thanks all for the info. Still looks like the 3.0L is the way to go, but now for my next question.....auto or manual?

I've also noticed while looking around, that Surf's with auto box are much more common than the manual type....come to think of it, I haven't yet seen a manual in the flesh. I've also never owned a vehicle of any kind before with auto box so was wondering if they are just as capable offroad as the manual variety?

Alan

Comment

Most will say that an auto is better offroad. You are correct, manuals are rare, especially manual 3rd gens. Obviously, with an auto you get a slight dip in MPG but you're looking at the wrong vehicle if that's a major concern.

The auto boxes are strong and smooth, plus you get to smoke, drink and molest the missus whilst driving. I actually personally prefer manual but that's because I just like changing gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                            Most will say that an auto is better offroad. You are correct, manuals are rare, especially manual 3rd gens. Obviously, with an auto you get a slight dip in MPG but you're looking at the wrong vehicle if that's a major concern.

The auto boxes are strong and smooth, plus you get to smoke, drink and molest the missus whilst driving. I actually personally prefer manual but that's because I just like changing gear.
                            am going to try that RIGHT now
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I'll stick with the maual .............. ...............
                              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                              X