harmonic balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harmonic balancer

Ok i have a twiterin noise when the engine is at idol looking at the pully there does seem to be some movement. A. is it ok to drive and B. how easy to change? any advice from anyone who has changed one before? if i take it to a garage and get them to change the cam belt also can they do it at the same time?any idea on price funds low at the moment!!!!!

bump
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Right! not to bad a job, it's a lot easier if you remove the rad but possible with a struggle with it in, first i'd make sure it has come adrift, if you can manage to paint a small white line accross the two halfs of it you'll be able to see if they become out of line when you run the engine,
      assumeing the bond has gone you need to remove the fan assbly then undo the four bolts holding the two pullys on the front of the ballencer, slacken off the alt and steering pump (and air con pump if you have one) remove the belts, you need to lock the engine from turning, i had a 2ft bar with holes drilled so you can bolt it to two if the holes in the balencer then when you undo the crankshaft bolt (it's useually tight, so you want a decent socket and wrecking bar for leverage) the bar will jam on the chassi and stop the engine turning, fit the new one (unless your doing the timeing belt) and torque up the crank bolt, not sure what the setting is, i just made dam sure it was was tight, refit everything in reverse order and ya off,
      If your doing the cam belt remove the timeing cover before fitting the new ballencer and turn the engine over till all the timeing marks are ligned up,
      slacken the idler pully and remove the old belt, take care when fitting the new one in case the timeing marks move once your satisfied it's on ok re tension the idler and turn the engine over several times to make sure the marks still lign up, fefit every thing in reverse and should be ok,
      when i did my belt it went on so easy that i thought i'd done it wrong,
      hope this help ya mate
      Attached Files
      Last edited by POPEYE; 24 March 2008, 13:15.
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
        A. is it ok to drive
        Don't drive if you don't have to. The more you drive it, the worse it will get. Also, the worse it gets, the more likely it is to chew a hole through the cam belt cover.

B. how easy to change?
        Fairly.

if i take it to a garage and get them to change the cam belt also can they do it at the same time?
        Yes. Once the rad is out everything becomes far more accessible.

any idea on price funds low at the moment!!!!!
        I paid my local mechanic £80 to fit the new pulley. The pulley itself came from Roughtrax, priced at £104.50

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
          Right! not to bad a job, it's a lot easier if you remove the rad but possible with a struggle with it in, first i'd make sure it has come adrift, if you can manage to paint a small white line accross the two halfs of it you'll be able to see if they become out of line when you run the engine,
          assumeing the bond has gone you need to remove the fan assbly then undo the four bolts holding the two pullys on the front of the ballencer, slacken off the alt and steering pump (and air con pump if you have one) remove the belts, you need to lock the engine from turning, i had a 2ft bar with holes drilled so you can bolt it to two if the holes in the balencer then when you undo the crankshaft bolt (it's useually tight, so you want a decent socket and wrecking bar for leverage) the bar will jam on the chassi and stop the engine turning, fit the new one (unless your doing the timeing belt) and torque up the crank bolt, not sure what the setting is, i just made dam sure it was was tight, refit everything in reverse order and ya off,
          If your doing the cam belt remove the timeing cover before fitting the new ballencer and turn the engine over till all the timeing marks are ligned up,
          slacken the idler pully and remove the old belt, take care when fitting the new one in case the timeing marks move once your satisfied it's on ok re tension the idler and turn the engine over several times to make sure the marks still lign up, fefit every thing in reverse and should be ok,
          when i did my belt it went on so easy that i thought i'd done it wrong,
          hope this help ya mate
          ^^ Post of the Month IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by MadcapMagician View Post
            The pulley itself came from Roughtrax, priced at £104.50
            cor, i hope i dont have to do one of those
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
              ^^ Post of the Month IMHO.
              and i held my breath while typeing

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                and i held my breath while typeing
                Bet your missus loves you!

Comment

Yeah great post cheers for the advice! not sure i`m up to changing this!!! I will try the white line test first see if that confirms my suspicions!!

Comment

I think you'll know when it finally part's company, the noise, the overheating, the lack of chargeing, some pully bolts come off easy some tight, some pullys come off easy some ya need a puller, my bolt was bl00dy tight, thought i was going to snap the bolt, it did this to a cut down ring spanner and a 3 ft tube bar on it, but the pully just tapped off with a rubber mallet, just make sure you do it up tight tho and unlike me, forget it, resulting in the whole lot comeing off and shattering the pully flange and nearly buggering the crank shaft spigot,
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok so here is what i have is there anything else i need to do this job

1 cam belt
                      2 Tensioner
                      3 Idler Pulley/Gear Toothed
                      4 Front Crank Pulley

I was looking at the roughtrax site they sell Timing/Cam cover gasket,
                      Woodruff Crank key, and Cam tensioner spring is it worth changing these aswell or do i have all i need??

Comment

Ok so here is what i have is there anything else i need to do this job

1 cam belt
                        2 Tensioner
                        3 Idler Pulley/Gear Toothed
                        4 Front Crank Pulley

I was looking at the roughtrax site they sell Timing/Cam cover gasket,
                        Woodruff Crank key, and Cam tensioner spring is it worth changing these aswell or do i have all i need??
                        You already got more than i had, i just replaced the belt and the pully (after it fell off) although i think i still have a new woodruff key (roughtrax) if you want it (nowt) it would'nt fit in my slot due to it being a bit buggered when the pully came loose, gasket! no need unless you mess up the one on there, they come off ok useually tho, keeping em on the cover while you refit it's the sod, ended up glueing it on, not sure about the spring,

Oh and for christ's sake dont turn the engine over with the belt off!!!!!
                        Last edited by POPEYE; 31 March 2008, 18:09.

Comment

Check the front crank seal while you have it all apart
                          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Working...
                          X