Hydraulics or ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulics or ?????

i'm looking for advice on how to do the following, i need to make a side step for the passenger side so my mrs can get in and out easier, she's finding it increaseingly difficult and i know the next thing will be "you'll have to get rid of the surf and get something i can get in" so to avoid this i was thinking about an extended hinged step thats possibly opperated by a simple up and down buttons on a hand held unit, first thing that came to mind was an hydraulic method but if anyone has another idea i'd be glad to hear, obvisiouly as cheap as poss, forgive the "drawings" but it should give ya some idea of what i had in mind, it's a cross section looking forward from astern of the pass door, would it be powerfull enough to lift a person (but not fire her over the top of the truck) what would i need and where's the best place to look for prices/parts etc, i thought possibly two rams spaced evenly along the step which has to be slightly shorter than the door, any help/advice apprecieated, ta, ian
    Attached Files
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

If you are after the cheap option, please forgive me for swearing but couldn't a LR folding step be of us ?

Something like this ?

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

This is even cheaper and can be used anywhere http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.as...q=step%20stool
      My other cars a QUAD
      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

I have a cut down surf step trev, but she still has probs, (parkinsons, arthritis, etc) what i need is summat that lower's to the ground, she steps on and can raise it till she's able to sit, i can then fold it up and lock it in position for driveing, i could go to a mobility place and have it don but those bleeder will want a couple of grand,

SV i am not running about behind her with a pair of step ladders!! i'd only need some boot polish and i'd look like a red cap on the trans am

Comment

geeeeeeeeezzzzzzz a couple of grand

It would be cheaper to fit hydraulic suspension like the yanks have on their bouncing cars.
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Why not just get one of those little floor standing double step things like they used to use for the old caravans and such. You could just chuck it in the back once she's in.

Edit: I know you'd prefer something chassis mounted, but there's no easy or cheap way to achieve that. As soon as you start with pneumatics or hydraulics, you're in for a world of pain and expense.
            Last edited by MattF; 9 March 2008, 17:28.

Comment

Know what you mean Matt, thought i'd ask tho, as it is i have to help lift her in by her arse, bl00dy comicle at times, if this idea falls flat i might try a second flip over step sort of thing, (or a trolly jack)

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                Know what you mean Matt, thought i'd ask tho, as it is i have to help lift her in by her arse, bl00dy comicle at times, if this idea falls flat i might try a second flip over step sort of thing, (or a trolly jack)
                Have you thought of a cantilever design step? That could be the simplest and least obtrusive chassis mount method, and would take up very little space once retracted. Something like the design of those cheap and cheerful collapsible wine racks, but at a 45 degree angle to the chassis and with steps.

Comment

Could you get somthing like this made up that pulled out from under or instead of the side step then you unfold the hindge to create a ramp to walk up ?

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?i...idestepcf0.jpg

Comment

No matt, had'nt thought of that, sounds like a good idea mate, something i could slide out, then unfold, or drop down with some treads on it, come to think of it when i was working at the coach builders they did a similar pull out ramp for wheel chair users,before they made the "easy access" busses,
                    thanks for the drawing madcampbell, summat like that with treads fitted otherwise she'll go skidding down there,
                    if i were working there now it'd be handy, they had some real heavy duty runners than the twin batterys were fitted on, to pull em out two of those battery's were definatly heavier than my mrs
                    cheer's guys you've given me some idea's there,

Comment

Concertina would seem to be a better term for what I was meaning. Here's a loft ladder with the type of design I was thinking of:

http://www.northamptonloftladders.net/concertina.htm

Comment

fit a little sidecar, or a trailered side car sort of thing! best of both worlds then - easy for your mrs to get in and out of and peace and quiet when you're driving!

what do i win?
                        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                          Concertina ]

i went to a metallica concertina lovely stadium last year. Wembley's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by logey79 View Post
                            what do i win?
                            A bitch slap?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                              A bitch slap?
                              what's with the violence dude? feeling frustrated?

Comment

Working...
                              X