No announcement yet.

Hydraulics or ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POPEYE, At last found some more rams, i will post all the sizes later. if you have a size in mind, i will see if i have it.

Comment

Sweet mary mother of jesus that thing's big

One thought Ian, you could use an electric motor to do the job - I'm thinking electric wheelchair here. If you got a few gears you would be able to link the step part to the lifting arm part so that the step was self levelling. It would need maths but it gives one of the engineers the chance to show off.

Comment

Even if you use a ram for the arm, a gear mechanism should self-level the platform.

Comment

Ram sizes

Here are some sizes

Diam x Stroke

80mm x 50mm
          80mm x 150mm
          80mm x 200mm
          100mm x 50mm
          100mm x 125mm
          100mm x 200mm

These are the most powerfull of the short stroke (got some 300mm long)
          and they are all new and unused
          Last edited by Woppit; 2 April 2008, 16:10.

Comment

Cheer's Shane/Sancho OK! i been buggering around with verious methods of doing this lifting step and unless it involves some bl00dy complicated gearing or folding/telescopic arrangement (which is beyond me) it aint gonna work, i even made a sort of scale model out of lolly pop sticks and pins to work out the pivoting, prob is with the step in the up position and sticking out at the right measurement when it's lowered it'd be under the truck, so i thought of a larger folding step hinged on the one connected to the ram so she could stand on it, be raised up, and once inside and the door shut i could fold it up so it sits alongside the door, problem with this is it'd look like i was driveing about with a big sheet of chequerplate stuck on the side (cr@p) also the strain on the ram may prove to much,

So! wot i'm going to do is a pull out step with a drop down step under it, i would still like to make it air powered but the ram will not have to work hard, just push the step out, and (aint worked this bit out yet) a second ram to push the lower step down, however for now i could push it in & out manually with a locking catch of some sort to stop it shooting out while driveing,
            i did get a quote from a firm that make roller bearing heavy duty runners, like the drawer runner, but they wanted £68 + vat + shipping each (2 needed)
            so bolloks to that, next is roller bearing's off ebay!! if i can make up some channeling for em to run in and work out how to attach em to a step, i'll need around 3-4 hundred mm of travel on the step (outwards) in order to give her a decent size footing, so the 300mm one you list will do fine, if you let me know how much you want for em mate, i'll sort summat out,

Meanwhile i'm going to have a go at makeing my own side bars (instead of the roughtrax type steps) ordered some 3" polished s/s tube and just been to B&Q for some flat bar, already made a couple of brackets and bolted em to the chassi as part of the bracketry to hole this step set up plus the side bars,
            got the stuff foy my mig welder, gas wire, and a auto darkening helmet from these guys, (check out the "felsen group, wot'd ya think ODESSA or what?, definatly some waffen SS in there! Anna's ok tho)
            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=002
            Last edited by POPEYE; 2 April 2008, 18:18.
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Been looking at some more rams and found another 63mmx300mm, if you are only moving the step out then this is more than enough and its mainly stainless. Again its new and unused, ill pop a pic on later so you can see it, as for cost how does £30 sound.

Comment

Here is that pic

Comment

http://www.truck-gear-supercenter.com/Power_Steps.html

another way to do it

or you could go for something like this which is very very simple

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...em290219703866
                  Last edited by truckarms; 4 April 2008, 07:58.

Comment

Hi Shane, that one looks like the job, and £30's fine, (i was looking through for your email address but it seems to have disapeared) how much do you reccon it'll cost to post it? just weighing up that cost against fuel to get to hastings, (think the post will be less) that is if you dont mind posting, i can pay by paypal or whichever way you want, thanks for yor trouble mate, apprecieate it, once i have this set up, i'll work out what ram travel lenght i'll need for the lower step, and give ya a shout later, anyway let me know,

truckarms!! i like that step, play'd with the controll for ages, cost an arm and a leg i'd guess tho,

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                      Hi Shane, that one looks like the job, and £30 fine, (i was looking through for your email address but it seems to have disapeared) how much do you reccon it'll cost to post it? just weighing up that cost against fuel to get to hastings, (think the post will be less) that is if you dont mind posting, i can pay by paypal or whichever way you want, thanks for yor trouble mate, apprecieate it, once i have this set up, i'll work out what ram travel lenght i'll need for the lower step, and give ya a shout later, anyway let me know,

truckarms!! i like that step, play'd with the controll for ages, cost an arm and a leg i'd guess tho,

OK ill ask a mate round the corner, he's an ebayer and will know the cheapest and best way to send it to you (he also has paypal if thats any help). Ill get it packed up and weighed, then let you know.

Comment

if its not to heavey then parcel force will take it for £15.04.i send a few large parts with them up to about 10-15 kg and they have been ok with it or try www.parcel2go.com i use them also for sending parts but i would be inclined to go parcel foerce cause of the wieght
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Woppit View Post
                          OK ill ask a mate round the corner, he's an ebayer and will know the cheapest and best way to send it to you (he also has paypal if thats any help). Ill get it packed up and weighed, then let you know.
                          Cheer's mate, if you are happy about payment by paypal i'll pay a bit more to cover their charge so you (or you mate)dont loose out,
                          thought i might have to come along your neck of the woods as i bid on a 1000lt tank in Battle, near you i think, but someone out bid me at the death,

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                            if its not to heavey then parcel force will take it for £15.04.i send a few large parts with them up to about 10-15 kg and they have been ok with it or try www.parcel2go.com i use them also for sending parts but i would be inclined to go parcel foerce cause of the wieght
                            Cheer's richard, that dont sound too bad, it looks a heavy bit of kit tho, the PO verying charges baffal me, i sent a quattro drill i sold on ebay yesterday, special delivery would have been over £21 normal delivery was £10.97! yet i've ordered a 3mt lenght of 3" s/s tube from metalsdirect and the carrage is only £8, suppose they get a reduced rate for regular custom,

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                              Cheer's richard, that dont sound too bad, it looks a heavy bit of kit tho, the PO verying charges baffal me, i sent a quattro drill i sold on ebay yesterday, special delivery would have been over £21 normal delivery was £10.97! yet i've ordered a 3mt lenght of 3" s/s tube from metalsdirect and the carrage is only £8, suppose they get a reduced rate for regular custom,
                              Sorry not been on for a bit, the ram's weight is 2.7 kg mate round corner said about tenner-ish to post. Never used paypal, so if you let me know what you need from this end, i will get it sorted. Let me have your address and i will get it sent this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Woppit View Post
                                Sorry not been on for a bit, the ram's weight is 2.7 kg mate round corner said about tenner-ish to post. Never used paypal, so if you let me know what you need from this end, i will get it sorted. Let me have your address and i will get it sent this week.
                                Hi Shane no worries, nowhere near ready for air yet but never the less! for me to pay you useing paypal via your mate, i would need his email address,
                                or if you preferred i can send you a cheque which you can stick straight into
                                your bank (assumeing you have one) obviously you'd want to wait till it clear's before sending the ram, if so i'll need your postal address, (and name) either way's ok with me mate, up to you, whichever way if i make it £45 that'll give ya £30 for the ram and £15 to cover post etc
                                (plus paypal charge if ya go that way), is that amount ok?
                                as i cant PM you and your email add's dissapeared, my address is
                                ian price,
                                2 cadnam lawn,
                                warren park,
                                havant,
                                hampshire, po9 4eg (02392 791888)

let me know, cheers ian

Comment

Working...
                                X