No announcement yet.

Make XP look like Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have loaded Vista Transformation pack on mine however it does have some interactions with one of the updates which needs to be removed. I have removed it and just use Windowblinds 6 which works well and gives you most of the look and feel if you want it.

On the subject of Linux, have a go with Mint Linux if you want an easier user experience. Package installation is a lot easier as there is a front end installation tool (based on Ubuntu which I think is based on Debian). I have a partition on my Laptop with Mint on it and it works great, plus it works straight out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky View Post
      On the subject of Linux, have a go with Mint Linux if you want an easier user experience. Package installation is a lot easier as there is a front end installation tool (based on Ubuntu which I think is based on Debian). I have a partition on my Laptop with Mint on it and it works great, plus it works straight out of the box.
      Every year for the last 10 years or so I have tried out a couple of Linux distros. Every year with the same result - I'm still running Windows. It just seems to me that Linux desktops delight in making things more awkward than they need to be. Sure, they're configurable every which way you can possibly think of, but I'm not interested in that. Picking a colour scheme that I like is about as far as I am interested when it comes to that sort of thing. At the end of the day, I want an OS that just works, and Windows does that for me. BTW, I'm no computer novice, I've been a software developer and general PC/Server/Network tech support bod for nearly 15 years.

My most recent PC purchase was an Asus EeePC which comes with an easy to use custom Linux OS pre-installed. I really tried to use and like it for about a week. The result... it's now running XP, and I love my little EeePC.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Slugsie.

I do kind of agree with you, on eof the things that MS are good at is making the user experience easy. What they are bad at is making it fast with less than leading eadge equipment.

MINT Linux is the best distro I've seen so far in terms of being easy to use, that being said I normally use XP or Windows 2K. I just keep the Linux if I want to try some website setup stuff as I have apache loaded up on it and also if I want to do something quickly as it boots quicker, has access to the other partions (Linux can read NTFS partitions as well as EXT3 and EXT2 partiotions which is one thing it has over Windows that can only read windows type partitions) and I can use Openoffice to access any documents. I also use Opera on the Linux rather than Mozilla which is getting as slow and unwieldy as IE.

All this being said, Windows XP Service Pack 3 runs very stable and reliable on my Laptop, albeit a bit slow. I am also running Office 2007 which is slower than slow but well featured. My Laptop is a Panasonic CF-28 Toughbook with 1GHz processor, 768MB ram and 120GB had drive so it is not on the leading edge of technology.

The Vista Transformation stuff just makes the screen look a bit different and allows the transparency you get on Vista. It does pretty much nothing else useful.

The Windowblinds does it without so many changes, allows you to change the screen a bit, add some transparency and does pretty much little else of use.

Edit. This is Lucky by the way, just forgot I was logged in on my other test ID.
        Last edited by harveya11; 28 February 2008, 17:53.

Comment

i have been using vista transformation for about 6 months now without any problems and it doesnt slow my pc down at all.

Comment

Originally posted by harveya11 View Post
            I have apache loaded up on it
            OI!!!
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I clicked on the link, had a look @ it then decided it was not for me. Came out of it and my laptop was slow as hell, spyboted it and there was loads of spyware just from looking @ the page, so i dont think i will bother with it, ta very much...
              Working at last.......

Comment

Must be from the site hosting it. I havnt had any problems with it installed. You can allways try it and if you dont like it uninstall it.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  OI!!!
                  Wondered how long it would take you to notice you'd been loaded on my PC - you are now part of the Matrix!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X