Let Peace Return To The Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let Peace Return To The Forum

Just been reading the Amy Winehouse thread, and once again thought, why is it that when someone mentions a particular artist or group that they enjoy listening to someone else comes along and says they're cr@p?

I've never been able to understand it. I like this you like that, what's the problem? To criticise other peoples choices is extremely narrow minded, we are all individuals, that's what makes life so diverse.

I like to keep my truck clean others like theirs up to the eyes in mud. Fine. What's the problem here? We pay our money we make our choices. I would feel extremely annoyed with myself if I bowed to other peoples ideals, just because they differed from my own, to be part of the 'in' crowd.

The Tech thread has now got totally out of hand, people are losing their tempers and veiled threats are being made. Why? Because some people have taken a stronger stance than others and seem determine to try and force their views.

This is without a doubt the best forum I have ever visted. 99% of the time peace reigns and good advice is handed out with grace and good humour. How many times when the forum went down did people did people say how much they had missed it when it returned to our screens?

We have something special here people, lets not destroy it with petty power play.

'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

That particular thread started like this
    What a flucked up person, but she has to be the best female vocalist alive?
    He made a very unsubstantiated remark and finished by inviting responses to that remark.
    He obviously has a very strong opinion about this artist and wanted to hear other people's opinions.
    What is wrong with that?
    If all forum members kept their opinions and views to themselves, this forum would be a very empty and sterile place.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Its about freedom of speech and opinion.

If you come along extolling the virues of Amy Whine face, should I be duty bound to agree, or keep my mouth shut incase you are offended? I think not.

If someone says something I disagree with, I will say so.

However, I wont say something like "You are stupid cos you keep your truck clean" cos thats offensive (and also untrue) - there's the difference between opinion and insult.

I dont find it uncomfortable when people voice opinions, thats life. No one is attacking anyone else, just voicing opinion, chill mate

Re. the tech thread, its not out of control, it's just wandered as these things are wont to do. Koi voiced reasonable concerns, and there've been some reasonable suggestions. You need to weed out the cr@p to find the good stuff - much like a conversation in a pub - which forums are always compared to.

Have a happy day mate, and enjoy your Sunday drive
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I think a problem is when people communicate in text only, sometimes some of the message is lost.. abit of banter that would be said in the flesh in a certain tone with a smile and a wink may look like a genuine insult/threat/spitefull comment in text only form...

I have got to say this place is really friendly, Loads of people have helped me out with technical quearies, and I was really nicely suprised with all the kind offers of help when I got "A bit stuck" a bit back..

When there is a group of adluts all expressing opinions of any size it is impossible for 100% to agree with one another and be totally happy all the time... but this place seems damn close to me!
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Nobody understands me either................

I have to say I have posted stuff before now and people have got the totally wrong impression of me ! I really am short fat and fifty.plus !

There is no intonation in the print so banter really can get lost in the system

oh well back to barnsley and work

have a good day all

Oh and I'm not very good at navigating (ask Marky)
          Last edited by John h; 22 February 2008, 10:06.
          Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

There you go, reasoned, informed, intelligent responses. That's what I'm trying to convey in my post. As Karma Supra says it's so difficult trying to make a point in text form as it can always be miscontrude(?)

I've learned one valuable lesson in life - DON'T BITE. The more you bite, the more people bait you.

Andy, wasn't having a dig mate (well maybe a little one), I really would miss it if you didn't pounce on some of my threads. Out of 1200+ posts I can only recall 2 when I took offence and it was just my frame of mind at the time.

I enjoy the good humoured banter and p*ss taking, that's why I'm always here, I just feel that at times some people go a bit to far and that's when the ill feeling starts, but that's life.

I will enjoy my Sunday drive, thanks. Enjoy getting muddy!

Comment

Let Peace Return To The Forum ???

I thought the Amy thread was funny. Elkie Brookes indeed!

Couldn't see any problems with the banter at all.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Just a generalised heading mate. Maybe a bit to stong for what I was trying to convey. The Amy thread is funny and perhaps my comments have been taken out of context. It's so difficult trying to voice your opinions and have a structured disscusion without listening to the return comments of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                  The Tech thread has now got totally out of hand, people are losing their tempers and veiled threats are being made. Why? Because some people have taken a stronger stance than others and seem determine to try and force their views.
                  You misinterpret the meaning. Do you have nothing that you believe in, (and would defend), with a vengeance, regardless of whether others see it as reasonable, or even important, in their eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    However, I wont say something like "You are stupid cos you keep your truck clean" cos thats offensive (and also untrue) - there's the difference between opinion and insult.
                    Must.....resist........

What have I missed?
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      Must.....resist........

What have I missed?
                      Nothing mate, we were just keeping the thread warm til you got here.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        You misinterpret the meaning. Do you have nothing that you believe in, (and would defend), with a vengeance, regardless of whether others see it as reasonable, or even important, in their eyes?
                        Oh, don't get me wrong mate, I believe in all of the above and, to my cost, I have in the past defended my principles and beliefs to the utmost. Don't think for one moment I'm some smartarse pacifist who thinks we should all get along and not disagree with each other, that's impossible. We all have a right to voice our opinions and I'm with Andy on the stance that if you strongly disagree with something you should say so.

I love to start these threads as they always prevoke some strong replys. Keep 'em coming and don't hold back!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                          I love to start these threads as they always prevoke some strong replys. Keep 'em coming and don't hold back!
                          Just trying to decide whether you are masochistic or sadistic.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            Just trying to decide whether you are masochistic or sadistic.
                            A little from column 'A' a little from column 'B'!

Comment

If you want my opinion, which I doubt, the 'correct' thing to do is argue your corner as forcefully (but not abusively) as you want, be prepared to be argued back at and, most importantly, don't carry some stupid grudge just because someone disagredd with you. If people take everything I post personally I expect to be shot within a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X