Tech Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Section

With the possibility of having to go back to a dedicated server in the near future and the increased running cost with it, I was given an idea by a couple of people on here.
    The technical section of the forum to be hidden from non subscribing/paying members.
    Apparently a lot of other forums do this to help raise revenue to pay for the running costs.
    There are a lot of people on here that register find what they want and don't come back until they get another problem.

Obviously theres a gonna be a few who dont agree and those that will, as they say you dont get something for nothing and I can't keep forking out to subsidise this place.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

I totally agree with you Nigel.Do it and then at least then the newbies may start paying the measley £10 that is asked to subscribe which is nothing to what they save by getting the advice and help from here
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

How about starting a thread telling the non-contributing members to cough up or find your info somewhere else?

If they all paid up then maybe the site could remain as it is. If they don't then carry on as planned Nigel.

Comment

I can totally understand your reasoning behind doing this, even if I'm severely in two minds as to how good an idea it is. As a subscriber I won't be affected as such, but I do wonder how a potential new subscriber will be able to asses how worthwhile their subscription will be.

Still, if it brings the money in, and keeps the site going.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for the occasional donation. I'm pretty sure that many of the regulars won't mind throwing in a few quid every now and again.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Personaly I think we should ALL pay, £10 is nothing nowdays.

Also maybe make it so only people that have paid can post? Or you get a limited number of posts free after which you have to pay.
          My other cars a QUAD
          (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
          http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

as a paid up newbie i agree, most "visitors"save much more than £10 with the knowledge imparted by you good people. i know i have. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
              Speaking of which, where's your blue star?

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post

Also maybe make it so only people that have paid can post? Or you get a limited number of posts free after which you have to pay.
                Says the one without the blue star.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

36 veiws so far!

I wonder how many of them are subscribers?

Comment

Also the general section will become a technical free-for-all..............

How does the aus site and yotatec maintain free access??
                    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                      With the possibility of having to go back to a dedicated server in the near future and the increased running cost with it, I was given an idea by a couple of people on here.
                      The technical section of the forum to be hidden from non subscribing/paying members.
                      Apparently a lot of other forums do this to help raise revenue to pay for the running costs.
                      There are a lot of people on here that register find what they want and don't come back until they get another problem.

Obviously theres a gonna be a few who dont agree and those that will, as they say you dont get something for nothing and I can't keep forking out to subsidise this place.
                      HERE HERE what a great idea
                      my mum used to say that nigel
                      YOU GET OUT FOR NOWT YOU KNOW bless you mum
                      Enjoying Life after Cancer
                      Pops

Comment

Some other sites I frequent will not allow searching or posting until you subscribe. As said before £10 is washers these days - and the time. effort and money that I have saved over the past years - not to mention non surf related help and advice and general laugh-a-minute banter, has got to be worth £10 of anyones money!!

You could put a little banner at the bottom of a search results page with wording to the effect "Now you have found your answer - hows about a small donation??? " to prick the conscience and remind folk that this site requires constant maintenance and service etc etc...

Or even a trial period of 10 days or so, after which you have to subscribe??

Keep up the good work!
                        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

It's a tough one. There are some non-payers who are net contributors - i'm thinking Nifty Nev for example, no blue star but a useful bloke to have around.

I would personally remove searching from non-payers and also the ability to post anywhere but the technical section.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie View Post

Google ads would be my guess, always an option if things don't improve.

Not to keen on the idea of restricting access to the tech section to new members as that would probably just put them off, maybe the for sale/wanted sections but even then not convinced it's the best solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie View Post

But surely that can be self-policed by paid up members. People asking techy questions can just be referred to the tech section. No pay, no access.

Like others have said, £10 wont break ANYONES bank.
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X