Any other anglers on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loads of anglers, cool

I'm surprised by the heavy bias towards fly fishing on here!

Originally posted by Nick V View Post
    Hi Chris,

I do coarse fishing, mainly rivers - the Avon and the Stour.
    You're a very lucky bunny Nick, those rivers have to be the best in the country. I must make another pilgramage this Year

Cheers

Chris
    Signature stolen along with Surf...

Comment

I have fished all my life mostly for carp but kinda lost interest in the big carp scene so started fishing small intimate rivers for chub & barbel.I also sea fish about half a dozen times a year and have a weeks holiday in devon sea fishing. I have always wanted to fly fish but have never got round to it.I have a 7 or 8 weight rod and a reel which have never seen any action.
      [SIZE=5]A bad days fishing is better than a good days work[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by corsetts View Post
        Loads of anglers, cool

I'm surprised by the heavy bias towards fly fishing on here!

You're a very lucky bunny Nick, those rivers have to be the best in the country. I must make another pilgramage this Year

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

The rivers are great but they are not always the easiest to fish and a few years ago the Avon got very difficult The fishing club I use, Christchurch,now has the rights to The Royalty, one of the best Barbel spots in the country, but I just stick to all the other parts of the Avon and Stour and still get decent fish! So many good miles of river to fish in the area, you can walk all day and not bump into anyone else,

Cheers, Nick
        "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V View Post
          Chris,

The rivers are great but they are not always the easiest to fish and a few years ago the Avon got very difficult The fishing club I use, Christchurch,now has the rights to The Royalty, one of the best Barbel spots in the country, but I just stick to all the other parts of the Avon and Stour and still get decent fish! So many good miles of river to fish in the area, you can walk all day and not bump into anyone else,

Cheers, Nick
          Fantastic

I must admit I haven't fished either for quite a while now, I've never actually caught anything big but usually just end up trotting a stick float and catching stunning looking roach.
          Its just nice being there watching the streamer weed waving in the crystal clear water.........

Roll on summer

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by corsetts View Post
            Fantastic

I must admit I haven't fished either for quite a while now, I've never actually caught anything big but usually just end up trotting a stick float and catching stunning looking roach.
            Its just nice being there watching the streamer weed waving in the crystal clear water.........

Roll on summer

Cheers

Chris
            And why not!! There are some cracking roach in the rivers, and to be honest trotting a stick float could bring anything, chub, barbel, roach and I even had a small jack Pike once on a size 16 hook with maggots!! BTW there are some huge Pike in the rivers too!

Cheers, Nick

Comment

All the 'easy carp' lakes in my area mean that nobody bothers to fish the small rivers or canals around the Midlands any longer. There are now miles of deserted rivers which 20 years ago would have been full anglers. No-one wants to go more than 25 yards from their car any more either! Just leaves miles of empty river for me to fish! My village club has some great little waters available but there's rarely anyone on them as most prefer the overstocked carp lakes.

Would you prefer a day on the wonderfull River Leam stalking wild chub.....

....or day pulling out half tame, over weight, pond carp?

Comment

Are those pictures yours? they're superb

I agree entirely with what you're saying too. At my club, the lakes are shoulder to shoulder with bivvys while the rivers are left pretty quiet.
                We had one very small river, more of a stream really that no-one else ever fished. It was quite a walk to get there, scrabbling over fences and styles and you had to fight your way to the water but it was desolate and held some huge chub.

Unfortunately, because no-one fished it (except me) the club gave up the rights to it as well as to another river stretch where even I managed to catch some nice Winter chub from

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99 View Post
                  All the 'easy carp' lakes in my area mean that nobody bothers to fish the small rivers or canals around the Midlands any longer. There are now miles of deserted rivers which 20 years ago would have been full anglers. No-one wants to go more than 25 yards from their car any more either! Just leaves miles of empty river for me to fish! My village club has some great little waters available but there's rarely anyone on them as most prefer the overstocked carp lakes.

Would you prefer a day on the wonderfull River Leam stalking wild chub.....

....or day pulling out half tame, over weight, pond carp?
                  Brilliant mate, hit the nail on the head, and that's exactly why I can walk all day on the Avon and not bump into anyone!

Cheers, Nick
                  Last edited by Nick V; 31 January 2008, 03:27.

Comment

Working...
                  X