Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto to Manual (How Much?)

Hi guys,

How much roughly would the parts cost to change a 3lt auto from a 3gen to a manual.

How long could it take to do,? I'm a mechanical Engineer (not auto-mechanics) i have a bit of knowledge with motors but never done this before.

Would there be a lot of difference in cost and time wise to re-con the engine at the same time?

Thanks
    If it can be broken it can be fixed

I would imagine a hell of a lot mate!

Im not sure how the truck would like it, i know the ECU works the gearbox - if its gone an its sensors are missing it might mess something else up, plus theres the costs, would be really very high - plus finding the right trim other wise it would look absolutly shocking making resale value - fcuk all!!

Unless your seriously attached to your truck - I'd advise selling and buying a manual.

Sorry i cant be of any real useful help.

Comment

The only question I have is WHY??????

As Rod said, if a manual is that important (and I assume you don't do too much offroad driving) then sell the auto and buy one that was made as a manual.....

You may well lower the resale value of the truck by adapting it....
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
        The only question I have is WHY??????

As Rod said, if a manual is that important (and I assume you don't do too much offroad driving) then sell the auto and buy one that was made as a manual.....

You may well lower the resale value of the truck by adapting it....
        I haven't bought it yet, i have been looking for a manual 3gen in good condition for under £4000 but they seem to be like rocking horse s**t

There is one i have seen that i like but its an auto. I'm not keen on an auto and i will need it for off road use every day.

worst case ill get it and keep it as an auto, but i thought it might be possible to change it over without breaking the bank.

Comment

I have done this conversion on other toyotas, usually the auto ECU works fine without the gearbox, although *some* toyota management systems throw the diagnostic light.

Clutch pedal and master cylinder bolts in, you'll need a manual brake pedal, I'd imagine you would need need to bypass the anti hijack feature that won't let you remove the key unless you are in park, in some cases you need to bypass the neutral start switch too.

Not sure about Hilux specific, but in the cars I did I needed a manual propshaft too (Probably not an issue as I doubt the transfer box moves)

All in all, even when DIYing unless you can get the parts CHEAP its probably easier to get a manual truck! I had prices range from £350 to £700 from scrappied to sell me all the bits required to convert a supra to manual with the R154 'box. You'll also need to check the final drive ratio on the diffs.

I think the autobox works very well on the surf, especially in diesel form!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

I second Mudsurfers thoughts. Much prefer the auto box offroad. No farting about trying to keep in the power band or slipping the clutch, just let the torque converter do the work.

On the road, much more relaxing to drive - this isn't a sportscar so 'seat of the pants' performance isn't an issue.

Cant understand why anyone would want a manual in a Surf to be honest.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Drive an auto surf off road and you will never go back to a manual
              Brian

Comment

Have a chat with Plumb Bob and see if he rates auto over manual for offroad......

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  I second Mudsurfers thoughts. Much prefer the auto box offroad. No farting about trying to keep in the power band or slipping the clutch, just let the torque converter do the work.

On the road, much more relaxing to drive - this isn't a sportscar so 'seat of the pants' performance isn't an issue.

Cant understand why anyone would want a manual in a Surf to be honest.
                  I have just always had manuals, i thought a manual would be better off road?

Comment

No mate auto makes you an off road god well not in my case more like not as big an off road #### get an auto.
                    Brian

Comment

You'll recognise Plumb Bob, he's the one at 45 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by mckirdy-services View Post
                        I have just always had manuals, i thought a manual would be better off road?
                        Picture the moment. You have a 4ft high, 30 degree wet and slippery rock in front of you. It angles off so if you're not careful, you'll slide sideways fubarring your passenger door against another piece of million year old granite. You're in low 4 so you have nice controllable revs in the powerband. All you need to do is modulate the throttle and concentrate on your line.

Now picture doing the same thing with a clutch to worry about... uhoh... its bogging down... gotta slip the clutch to keep in the power... TOO MUCH! Sliding back!!! More revs, dump the clutch... STALLED!!! SH*****TTT!!!!! CRUNCH!!!!

Truct me, its much better because that torque converter will do its damndest to make sure you're on the power sweetspot.

Comment

This sounds hopeful,

I have just heard negative things about autos from people before (not on this forum) things like unreliability, and more juicy etc so i have always stayed away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by mckirdy-services View Post

This sounds hopeful,

I have just heard negative things about autos from people before (not on this forum) things like unreliability, and more juicy etc so i have always stayed away from them.
                            Not these ones mate!!!!

Talk to us - we use them every day!!!!

Comment

Slightly more juicy cos there's no such thing as a lossless torque converter, but these trucks are juicy anyway, and dont believe anyone who says they're getting 35mpg cos they're bullshitting you. They're never going to be cheap to run. However, bits are cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X