No announcement yet.

Auto to Manual (How Much?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honesty time...but with a good theme.i have just had an auto gearbox repair.the seals on the main input shaft were leaking,so i had the work done locally.i need togo offroad of some sort every day so i had a manual mitsubishi L200,nice machine but,.i cannot begin to tell you how much i missed an auto off road,as apache said always on the sweet spot.with regards to my repair it was the first time the box had had any form of repair in 17 years so overall it was ###### great.i could have done what i have for the last 2 years topping up the fluid once a month,but decided to treat the old girl to a repair.and plumb bob told me ,when we were in wales last year,that he sooooooooo wished he had an auto,as the manual made off roading that much harder
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I'm feeling happier already,

I'm going up to test drive on Friday and unless something is badly wrong with it, i will be the proud owner of a surf.. At Last..

I have been looking for ages and felt gutted when i realized this one was an auto..

Thanks for your advice guys.
      If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

I was a confirmed 'manual only' man until I bought the Surf. Now, unless I was buying a serious fun sportscar would always go for the auto option. Given the sheer weight of traffic on the roads these days, an auto is just so much more relaxing in heavy traffic than a manual.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Auto to Manual

Hi l am just waiting to do this change the other way "Manual to Auto" l have a Manual Surf which l do not want to part with, and l have all the parts to do the job just trying to find the time inbetween other projects. AS everybody else says get an "AUTO"

Regards Hilux Bob
          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            I was a confirmed 'manual only' man until I bought the Surf. Now, unless I was buying a serious fun sportscar would always go for the auto option. Given the sheer weight of traffic on the roads these days, an auto is just so much more relaxing in heavy traffic than a manual.
            my skyline was auto!and quicker than the manual!

Comment

I have a manual and find that i can go anywhere you guys go, with a similar spec auto. I don't find it hard to drive on or offroad.

just take it for a test drive and the auto box might surprise you i think its more down to how confident you feel with your truck and from what these guys say you can feel more than confident.

Just to add i am VERY happy with my manual and at the mo wouldn't swap it for anything even an auto!!!
              it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

I never owned an auto until my Surf and to be honest I wouldn't go back.

not unless I buy back my old Scooby WRX, now that was fun!
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Im pretty much in the same boat as everyone else on this mate, Id only been driving a little while when i got my 1st surf so wanted a manual as thats what i had learnt it! it was great, no doubt

BUT, the auto is soo much better!

Apache is spot on with the traffic remark. its not so stressful to yourself as well as components! Its easy to drive, smooth etc

an as mentioned Offroad is a hell of a lot easier!

Comment

In a vehicle like the Surf an auto is by far the best option. They are easy to drive and will not allow you to abuse them in the people treat cars with manual gearboxes (slipping the clutch, ridding the clutch peddle, crunching gears or labouring the engine in the wrong gear).

I’ve had several autos in the past and about the only way I’d go back to a manual was if it was fitted in a (fun) sports car.

What you propose to do (converting a Surf from auto to manual) is akin to ripping out your central heating in order to fit coal fires….
                    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                      What you propose to do (converting a Surf from auto to manual) is akin to ripping out your central heating in order to fit coal fires….
                      Yeah, but it's central heating that doesn't allow you to set the themostat and uses 10% more fuel to create the same heat as the fires.

Comment

Well have to admit that I steadfsly waited for a Manual box Surf Great truck good fuel economy ,joy to drive etc etc etc Even put a thread on the site to see peoples preferences etc etc etc
                        Changed to a nice shiney silver Auto
                        There's no going back ! the Auto is far better and driven with care has comparable fuel economy well close anyway !
                        keep the auto !
                        Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Working...
                        X