Towing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steved View Post
    Stick a extra litre of auto fluid in put i in neutral and keep below 40mph it will be ok to tow but not huge distances keep below about 70 miles if possible.
    And don't forget to drain out the extra litre before you dive it again.
    Its probably less hassle to just unbolt the rear prop from the diff end, tie it up securely to the chassis and tow till your heart's content.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      Its probably less hassle to just unbolt the rear prop from the diff end, tie it up securely to the chassis and tow till your heart's content.
      Is unbolting the prop as easy as it's being made out? Would have thought the bolt would be quite nicely frozen.
      @BDT: Have you used the 'skates' that attach to the wheels before? Any good? Would have though the only other way to professionally tow a Surf is with a full flat-bed -- they're not the smallest things!

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm View Post
        Is unbolting the prop as easy as it's being made out? Would have thought the bolt would be quite nicely frozen.
        @BDT: Have you used the 'skates' that attach to the wheels before? Any good? Would have though the only other way to professionally tow a Surf is with a full flat-bed -- they're not the smallest things!
        yep we have the "road skates,they aint bad but dont think they wud manage and u cant go more than 30mph with any of them or they solid tyres melt lol,if it looks near roadworthy,use yr breakdown cover,are u with rac?or anyone u know,cover is to name,not car

Comment

This gets complicated & I have to agree with BDT here.
          The problem is its Automatic!...now SOME auto boxes have a rear (output shaft) driven oil pump and can be towed....unfortunately most DON'T and so should not be towed as they will sieze up.
          Only recommendations I've seen were from Ford that said 20 miles @ less than 20mph.
          So its a flatbed or get under there and remove rear propshaft I'm afraid
          Or this http://http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j159/muddycarl/re-sized%20forum%20piccys/21.jpg
          What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Working...
          X