Towing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing??

Hi, can anyone tell me if it's possible to tow a surf? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone!
    If I press the red button near the gear stick and put into neutral is that ok?
    And if so should I keep it below 30MPH?

Please help!

Thanks all

sounds good to me....
    if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

put the transfer box in neutral also
      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

The Manual says no-way, no-how.
        I don't think that's really the case -- with the transfer box in neutral, there should be no drive to the torque converter.

Comment

it will be ok for a few miles at low speeds, the safest bet though is to drop the rear prop, it's only a few (4?) bolts at each end. This stops all of the transfer case internals moving, where as selecting neutral bit's of it will still turn i think?
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Yeah, the confusion is because its Automatic, they sieze up if the engine isn't running, pumping oil around and the rear wheels turning the output shaft, BUT with the T/case in Neutral, it should be OK as no drive will be getting to any part of the slushbox.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

do not do under any circumstances at all what so ever unless all 4 wheels off ground

Comment

Well old Mossups sure going to be confused now, Theres a few yes it should be OK if everythings in neutral and one dont do it or youll die.

My vote however goes to Tony N. theres enough evidence dotted around the forum that he has a vague idea of how it all works.
                And Id guess you dont plan on towing it very far anyway ??

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                  Well old Mossups sure going to be confused now, Theres a few yes it should be OK if everythings in neutral and one dont do it or youll die.

My vote however goes to Tony N. theres enough evidence dotted around the forum that he has a vague idea of how it all works.
                  And Id guess you dont plan on towing it very far anyway ??

Bogus
                  Yeah but he runs his dogs on veg oil!
                  http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                    do not do under any circumstances at all what so ever unless all 4 wheels off ground
                    Hah!

Comment

the auto trans man i just got my surf back from told me it was possible to tow a surf,but not to far and not to fast.if i wanted to exceed 30 miles or30 mph then take the prop off

and he told me not to give the surf any bob martins and feed the dog winalot !
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                        the auto trans man i just got my surf back from told me it was possible to tow a surf,but not to far and not to fast.if i wanted to exceed 30 miles or30 mph then take the prop off

and he told me not to give the surf any bob martins and feed the dog winalot !
                        Yeah, thats if you don't want mess around, 30m is the safe average most manufactures give before the back end of the autobox starts to get hot.

But if you have a transfer case first, thats in N, the tailshaft of the autobox won't be going round.

Its easy to take the prop off, especially in a lifted truck, and then you happily tow it where ever you want, as fast as you want, with no issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          Yeah, thats if you don't want mess around, 30m is the safe average most manufactures give before the back end of the autobox starts to get hot.

But if you have a transfer case first, thats in N, the tailshaft of the autobox won't be going round.

Its easy to take the prop off, especially in a lifted truck, and then you happily tow it where ever you want, as fast as you want, with no issues at all.
                          See, I knew he had a vague idea of what he was on about. Trying to run the dog on veg is a separate matter, and doesnt need to considered on a thread about towing.

Bogus
                          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                            Hah!
                            ty lol,well i can only go by wot i know,and wot i know is,u never ever front or rear lift a 4x4 period,not worth the risk

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                              See, I knew he had a vague idea of what he was on about. Trying to run the dog on veg is a separate matter, and doesnt need to considered on a thread about towing.

Bogus
                              just because the thread is towing related,does by no means, mean it will end on the same subject,im willing to bet in a page 's time we may be on to animal husbandry !
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X