help small tow car wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help small tow car wanted

freinds want to change caravan, but keep coming up against towing capacity limits. They drive a ford focus with 1500 tow wieght.

I've looked at the Rav. would be my choice, tow limit of 2000 which opens up the pick of vans

Any other surgestions for tow cars?

They don't want to go too big

Tony
    www.puppywalker.co.uk

swb landcruiser?

Comment

rav would be a good bet but I dont know what engines they do. probably fairly good weight to tow with.
      what about an estate?
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

one of the best tow cars available is the vauxhall omega 2.5 or 3.0 v6 auto would be an advantage and there are plenty about
        SILENCE........................I ... kill you

Comment

I'd go with a V6 Omega auto too. Lots of car for the money, and a sporty version available for much the same money as a standard one.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Problem a workmate had with his Rav was tow ball height, he had to lower it quite a lot to get a level van....& once its on the back, you cant open the tailgate.
            But apart from that it was apparantly very good to tow with.
            What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

If they don't want to go too big they won't go far wrong with a Mondeo estate, massive choice, loads available, go for the 2.0 TDCI.

Nissan X Trail is an excellent towing vehicle and 2.0TD (newer 2.2TD) very economical.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

As I'm banned for life from the caravan club (and proud of it) I think a volvo estate might be a good idea. At least then they can get moaned at for towing a caravan and/or driving a volvo!
                Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker View Post
                  As I'm banned for life from the caravan club (and proud of it) I think a volvo estate might be a good idea. At least then they can get moaned at for towing a caravan and/or driving a volvo!
                  how,why any tips ?
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

BTW Tonytom - you can't have a small 'safe' towing car unless they are going to tow a very very small van.

A tow car should not try and pull more than 85% of its weight as a guide.

See here for some info on cars for towing

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/towbars/index.html
                    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Daihatsu fourtrak every time for me, but i get the impression they want something newer? BMW then, preferably 5 series, but 3 series would be as good as any similar sized car, estate model would be better.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                        Daihatsu fourtrak every time for me, but i get the impression they want something newer? BMW then, preferably 5 series, but 3 series would be as good as any similar sized car, estate model would be better.
                        320d or 330d are both great engines.
                        Tim

Comment

http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp#tab1

compare any make of car on there
                          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                            how,why any tips ?
                            Went to deliver a small potted tree to my parents on their Ruby wedding anniversary. They were on holiday at a club site with a warden. I parked at the entrance and asked for permission to drive to their pitch on the far side of the site. He said as I was not a member I couldn't take a vehicle on site and would have to carry said tree (this was when I was recovering from a slipped disc). A discussion ensued about club rules during which several words were used......including facist, the c word (plural) prefixed bt "bunch of". Anyway he said he was going to ban me for life, so I gave him all my details (incuding national insurance number) drove around the stupid barrier and went to see my parents with the tree!
                            Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker View Post
                              Went to deliver a small potted tree to my parents on their Ruby wedding anniversary. They were on holiday at a club site with a warden. I parked at the entrance and asked for permission to drive to their pitch on the far side of the site. He said as I was not a member I couldn't take a vehicle on site and would have to carry said tree (this was when I was recovering from a slipped disc). A discussion ensued about club rules during which several words were used......including facist, the c word (plural) prefixed bt "bunch of". Anyway he said he was going to ban me for life, so I gave him all my details (incuding national insurance number) drove around the stupid barrier and went to see my parents with the tree!
                              how silly - good effort mind.
                              Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X