100%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100%

Whoops, stocked up on veg oil for crimbo visits... off to the in-laws so without thinking topped tank up with 45ltr of veg oil. Drove off with the kids in the truck following the wife in her car we were getting rid of it (her car) as become very unreliable. She set of first then I after a bit followed. I was struggling to get the truck upto speed then to my horror on the first hill the truck started to loose power and ended up crawling up the hill at 30kmph... got to the top and started to get better then ran fine. Then it dawned on me that I was running on almost 100% veg oil as 15lt of fuel already in was on a 75%mix of veg oil . I have not put any derv in and it's running fine..!! is this doing any unseen harm ??

It's probably stuggling as the oil is thicker. I had 20L in the back of my truck last week. I got it out to top up and it was too thick to pour in. I had to bring it in doors and put it next to a rad to thin it out.

Comment

i'd imagine if you let it run for 10 mins with idle up pressed then it would thin out a bit before you leave home... also gets the heater nice and toasty!!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i normally put in 1l of white spirit to 15l of veg and that way the veg stays thinner
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
          i normally put in 1l of white spirit to 15l of veg and that way the veg stays thinner
          Do you just run veg oil and nothing else? ok plus the white spirit...!

No heating mod or anything else?

Do you get the lack of power for the first 3/4 mins

Cheers Mark

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
            Do you just run veg oil and nothing else? ok plus the white spirit...!

No heating mod or anything else?

Do you get the lack of power for the first 3/4 mins

Cheers Mark
            i put in this time of year about 45l of veg with white spirit and fill up with fuel.I've got no heating mods at the mo and the truck seems to run ok after a couple of mins when its warmed up.I put the W/S in the veg oil drum and give it a good shake up first so its well mixed up before putting into the tank

Comment

i put in this time of year about 45l of veg with white spirit and fill up with fuel.I've got no heating mods at the mo and the truck seems to run ok after a couple of mins when its warmed up.I put the W/S in the veg oil drum and give it a good shake up first so its well mixed up before putting into the tank
              I take it the WS is t thin it down?
              how much does it cost WS per ltr?

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
                I take it the WS is t thin it down?
                how much does it cost WS per ltr?
                i get the b&q cheap stuff in a 4l container and i think its a couple of quid but keeps the oil thinner as you say.If you mix some in a drum of oil and give it a good mixing and leave it over night you can see the difference between mixed and unmixed oil

Comment

i get the b&q cheap stuff in a 4l container and i think its a couple of quid but keeps the oil thinner as you say.If you mix some in a drum of oil and give it a good mixing and leave it over night you can see the difference between mixed and unmixed oil
                  Thanks, will try that and put them out on a cold nigh to see the difference

Cheers

Comment

one thing i will say also tho Mark and we don't tend to get quite as cold weather down here so it may pay to do a mix of say 50/50 oil to fuel if its colder where you are.

Comment

I'm running 20L Veg, 2L Unleaded and 28L Diesel just now. Rough as a bag of ferrets for the first 5 minutes in the morning, after that it's fine.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach
                        I'm running 20L Veg, 2L Unleaded and 28L Diesel just now. Rough as a bag of ferrets for the first 5 minutes in the morning, after that it's fine.
                        Blumem heck from what I have read so far we can run our trucks on a number of diffrent blends of......

SVO, white spirits, diesle, Unleaded,WVO, bio diesel........wow

Comment

I popped me pump seal on 50/50, reduced it right down and it's stopped so till i get the second heated tank up and running and a new seal it's staying a thin mix, sodding stuff's expensive enough with out dripping on the road,
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

do you think the use of veg poped the seal????
                            if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

Originally posted by firefly
                              do you think the use of veg poped the seal????
                              Yes 3yrs no leak use veg oil then leaks
                              I have followed a lot of links where the same has happened

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X