No announcement yet.

Sat Nav advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been through all this a few months ago. Tried and returned several SATNAVs as most were rubbish. Halfords is good that way. Finally decided on best one which is the Garmin nuvi ( theres another suffix to donate its the larger screen, cant remember what it is), anyways best one out of 4 tried. TOMTOM was good, but only the 720. I returned it as the handsfree only works through the internal speaker and not through the bluetooth and therefore through the stereo speakers. I just couldnt hear over the engine and traffic noise. So my verdict is Garmin nuvi.
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

i invested in a road angel navigator sat nav , big screen, easy to use, gives all fixed and mobile camera sites plus black spots, only £110.00 off bid up tv

Comment

Halfauds reasoning is flawed, but I would deffo go with Garmin. They've been in GPS since GPS was invented. TomTom, well, they haven't!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Actually, must as I hate to say this about Halfrauds, they may be right.
          Until quite recently GPS mapping for Ireland was rather patchy. It generally covered major routes and one or two cities only. Even in those cities the mapping was somewhat sporadic, in places it appeared as though the mapping was done, then someone took an eraser to sections of it. There were places within Dublin city where brand new roads were shown, whilst roads 20 years old did not exist.

Traditionally Tom Tom units were one of the worst to use in Ireland. More recent units I believe may have switched to using mapping provided by Navteq and should be ok, any Tom Tom (or others inc Navman) units using Tele Atlas mapping should be avoided as they still have many gaps in rural areas particularly in the west of Ireland

I personally use an Airis GPS, despite purchasing this new less than 3 months ago it came with Q4/2005 Navteq mapping. It can be hard to find out what mapping is supplied on any particular unit, but its worth persevering to find out. With this I discovered many gaps, I have since upgraded to Q2/2006 mapping and found it to be far superior, at least the area I live is now on it!

The latest mapping available at present should by now be Q2/2007

Have a look at http://www.mysatnav.ie/ for units recommended for use in Ireland
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

A bit late, but thanks for the advice guys
            Stella Artois

Comment

Large AA road map £1.99 from Supermarket a piece of paper and a pen. that's all I ever use. plot rout on the paper and arrive at destination without the frustration of having to mess around with buttons and getting sent the wrong way by a computer.
              www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
                Large AA road map £1.99 from Supermarket a piece of paper and a pen. that's all I ever use. plot rout on the paper and arrive at destination without the frustration of having to mess around with buttons and getting sent the wrong way by a computer.

Does that piece of paper and pen know how far away you are from speed cameras??
                Stella Artois

Comment

Originally posted by jackster
                  A bit late, but thanks for the advice guys
                  wot did u get?

Comment

Originally posted by jackster
                    Does that piece of paper and pen know how far away you are from speed cameras??
                    You must remember I DRIVE A 2.4 Surf speed cameras are not a worry.
                    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2
                      wot did u get?
                      Went for the Garmin nuvi 250 widescreen .

Ordered it from Dixons on friday for £130( found a voucher on Hotdeals.co.uk),anyway not expecting it untill the new year, but you never Know, might come earlier
                      Stella Artois

Comment

Sat-Nav

Hi l bought a TomTom GO 510 best thing l ever bought besides my Landcruiser and Surfs, it is so easy to use its got "hands free" l can store numbers on and ring out on it, Speed traps on and l get constant updates from TomTom. FULL MARKS from me.
                        Live Life To The Full

Comment

Working...
                        X