France trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plumb bob
    We'll also have to comply with there road laws too, ie; carry all documentation for vehicle, carry driving license, waring triangle, spare bulb pack, etc. etc.
    when i was there, all i had was,
    spare bulb in ash tray (dont know what the bulb was for...), licence, green card insurance, documents v5, illuminous jacket (instead of triangle) and in side door was headlamp thingies so i didnt blind the french, i forgot to put them on so i still have them for another time.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
      as long as we stay well away from anywhere near nice or monaco etc.
      a pint of guiness is 10euros, so two pints is £14!!!!

when we were in the mountains, it was good off road up the side of mont blanc. we got as high as like the 3rd set of ski lifts we came to, but fuel light was on for ages so we came back down.. then went out when we got on level ground we stayed in les houches which is in between the two mountain peaks (google map it!) and about 15 min drive to the driving range was good hitting some balls down the green with the big peaks either side, and light drizzle rain, with clouds covering the peaks, and the odd cloud half way between..
      it was funny because i pretty much parked right behind where they hit the balls from and i wasnt supposed to. no one said anything but i thought thats what the french woman said.lol
      Yeah, once you get anywhere near a tourist resort the price of beer goes through the roof, so it's bets to stay nearer the out of the way towns and villages, where the cost is lower and the locals are friendlier coz you're putting money direct into their pockets.

I only came across one asshole in a whole year, and e was put in his place by a local French woman, and made to look real sheepish in front of the other french customers ( he was a shop keeper)

I found the French to be very hospitable on the whole, if you were courtious to them in the first place, ie observe their customs and be polite.

We met people who put us up and fed us without question, and one family who left us to use their house and swimming pool while they went to work!
      Would you do that for a couple of pikey looking forieners in 4x4's??
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
        when i was there, all i had was,
        spare bulb in ash tray (dont know what the bulb was for...), licence, green card insurance, documents v5, illuminous jacket (instead of triangle) and in side door was headlamp thingies so i didnt blind the french, i forgot to put them on so i still have them for another time.
        whats green card insurance? i dont know n spose i will have to check to see if my insurance company covers me when abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm
          whats green card insurance? i dont know n spose i will have to check to see if my insurance company covers me when abroad.
          Your green card is ( I think) your form E111, national insurance, which will cover you for doctors and hospital visits, although you usually have to pay up front and claim back when home, although rules may have changed since I was there.

In theory, as we are all in europe, you should just be able to get treatment and give your NI number and they should claim back off nhs for you.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

the green card is what i got given when i phone virgin insurance - my insurers. valid for 90 days..

i didnt need any of the preps we took or planned. driving over there was the same as driving over here, except i had to remember what side i was on when turning round or coming out a petrol station because i forgot twice.
            when we came out a petrol station and was on the left side heading straight for another car, they didnt flash, beep or anything. and when i figured out why they were on the same side as me, i quickly sorted it, and as we passed, they didnt even look at us.
            they are mad on overtaking. any chance they get they do it. gave me the hump actually.

and i swear a french woman drove off the cliff after she overtook me. i tried to keep up with her but as i slowed down for the sharp bend the front wheels just locked up, so i gave up. when we got to a clearing she was no where to be seen
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i remember when i went to france once on day trip we had a green card for the day to visit n i was thinking it was that as i know they stopped that years ago didnt they?

Comment

i think i found that crazy lake i mentioned earlier.
                go to http://maps.google.com/ and then copy and paste this name: chanteloube

look at the roads, the look straight enough, but each little squiggle is like coming to the end of the road and turning left or right.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                X