Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do websites.................?

.........Make money??

If they provide a service rather than sell something.

Like trip advisor,photobucket,youtube??? ? I know they get money if they have adverts etc on it,but not all sites do. Does it go by how many hits they get paid by service providers etc??????????

I want to be a dot com millionaire!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Advertising and e-mail address collection. There's always an advert somewhere, they get paid per click. Even at 3cents a click and only a 1% click through rate, if they have tens or even hundreds of thousands of users per day is a lot of money.

The e-mail address collection allows them to send targetted 'offers', depending on the users profile content. They can also 'rent' their list out to other 'carefully selected partners'. Go on to one of these sites and read the T&C, think laterally about what they tell you and you'll see where the money comes from.
    Last edited by Albannach; 21 November 2007, 20:34.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I am now in the middle of my third .com business. The first were both ecommerce (selling) and after along time studying online marketing and have found an un tapped area. Online communitys. its slightly ironic as we are chatting in one but these babies have huge potential. I have been commisioning an online gaming community based around a theme(which i cant really talk about) for the last 6 months. It will take at least another 6 months for it to be built and its costing me a fortune.
      My game/lifestyle will work on a subscription base. People can play for free but to really get the full experience you must pay a small ammount each month. Also competitions and the ability to puchase in game items etc.
      I know it will be a success as i have a nailed down business plan with start up/run through and exit strategies, my life revolves around this game and everyday i scan the net seeking out competition
      Watch this space
      Kite Surf

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar
        I have been commisioning an online gaming community based around a theme
        Don't you mean commissioning a (system|software|server|progra mme)? It's rather hard to commission a community last time I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy
          I want to be a dot com millionaire!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          The way to do that is to get rid of any morals you possess and abuse the internet rather than using it for the purpose, and in the way, for which it was designed.

Comment

I sense a green eyed monster lurking!

I wish I'd been the one who thought of selling pixels!
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
              I sense a green eyed monster lurking!
              Me? Hell no. Perfectionist I may be. Jealous, nope. I just hate the abusive use of good systems. All this Adsense and other cr@p is an abuse of the system.

Valid online commerce is fine. It's the insiduous methods I loathe.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Don't you mean commissioning a (system|software|server|progra mme)? It's rather hard to commission a community last time I checked.
                commision as in paying for it to be made
                Kite Surf

Comment

commision as in paying for it to be made
                  I know what commission means. I was saying that you can commission the software upon which a community is built, but not a community itself.

Comment

out of 8000 registered members on this site i believe 5000ish pay or have paid the £10 annual subscription. This info was what i was told by a few of the reuglars and is encouraging for anyone.
                    Kite Surf

Comment

Ok i get you! sorry bit slow on that one
                      Kite Surf

Comment

out of 8000 registered members on this site i believe 5000ish pay or have paid the £10 annual subscription. This info was what i was told by a few of the reuglars and is encouraging for anyone.

Whooaaa... Mega Deja Vu!!

Have you said that before??! Or am i going crazy?!

*Im not diggin or tryin to be a smart a$$, good for you for trying to give it a shot!! but ive read that before somewhere*

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                          Whooaaa... Mega Deja Vu!!

Have you said that before??! Or am i going crazy?!

*Im not diggin or tryin to be a smart a$$, good for you for trying to give it a shot!! but ive read that before somewhere*
                          I aksed "the question" months ago about how many paying members there were, thats about it
                          Kite Surf

Comment

I aksed "the question" months ago about how many paying members there were, thats about it

That was probably it then mate!

the figures rung a bell in my head for some reason!

Comment

Ok i get you! sorry bit slow on that one
                              No worries. I wasn't slating your idea, merely being a pedant over the meaning of what you wrote.

Online subscription systems are a good idea if you can build a large enough user base to make them at least self sustaining, and offer services that keep them subscribing. Anything above that is a bonus. Best of luck with your endeavour.

Comment

Working...
                              X