First off road trip advise please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First off road trip advise please.

Ok so I have had my Surf for about two years now and I am finally getting the chance to do some green laning in it.

I am off with two mates with Rangees and was wondering what I need for this venture. They have told me that its a fairly tame run they have got in mind.

I have got abot £300 spare to make some mods if i need to and buy any kit.

My surf is 2.4 diesel on a K plate.

Any ideas on mods or kit that I should consider taking would be very helpful.

The Surf is completely bog standard at this point.

They have suggested a tow rope but not sure if that was said as a $$$$ take.
    Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Yes, bring a tow rope... they might need your help!

But seriously; tow-rope, a first-aid kit, lump hammer, and wood saw.
    Maybe also a hand-cranked winch and steel rope w/ hook ends -- can be handy. Waffles or mats if it's gonna be muddy or sandy.

The Surf is a pretty capable off-roader even standard... from what I've experienced, I'd say it was at least equal to (if not better than) any stock Range Rover.
    Last edited by cataclysm; 15 November 2007, 12:32.

Comment

Definately tow rope, then a range rover recovery sticker lol My surf is un modded and still goes well off road, if you don't have any on at the mo then a nice set of off road tyres would be a wise investment.
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

90% of going off road is having good tyres
        I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
          Definately tow rope, then a range rover recovery sticker lol My surf is un modded and still goes well off road, if you don't have any on at the mo then a nice set of off road tyres would be a wise investment.

Originally posted by kiowa
          90% of going off road is having good tyres
          Totally agree

If it was me I would save my £300 (bar getting a tow rope) and see what you need after your first go

and remember the more fun your have, the more parts you will break in time
          I Love Wales

Comment

Laughing mu Nads off here. I love that idea tow rope and a sticker saying Range Rover recovery vehicle.

Ok tow rope - where from?

I take it the`usual type from Chavfords wont cover it as a stuck range`rover is possibly a wee bit heavier than a bodied kitted Saxo that has driven into a ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
              Un modded???? Really ???

Front valence has more ground clearence than most, specially after your trip out near Looe
              My other cars a QUAD
              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Boots
                Laughing mu Nads off here. I love that idea tow rope and a sticker saying Range Rover recovery vehicle.

Ok tow rope - where from?

I take it the`usual type from Chavfords wont cover it as a stuck range`rover is possibly a wee bit heavier than a bodied kitted Saxo that has driven into a ditch.
                i would get at least a 4 - 5ton sow strop to be on the safe side
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
                  i would get at least a 4 - 5ton sow strop to be on the safe side
                  and possibly a pair of decent D shackles
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Ok on the subject to tyres. My front ones are up for replacing currently running Yokos. What would bea good replacement?

This is my daily drive so dont want to run anything that resembles a bear taking a yawn.

How about tools to take?

Obviously I will be going with the two that bought Range Rovers.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                      and possibly a pair of decent D shackles
                      Rope and shackles bought from?

Comment

A camera?

(so you can record for prosperity the recovery of the Lame rovers)
                        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Something like this, I have got 10 tonne rated 4m and a 8m strap plus 2 4.25t bow shackles.
                          Wax on, wax off

Comment

Straps are the cheaper option and work well but if you have the cash go for a kinetic tow rope this is like a bungie rope it means you can pull away faster and the rope will take the strain slower meaning more power to pull out a stuck motor and with alot less chance of breaking something or it snapping
                            I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650
                              A camera?

(so you can record for prosperity the recovery of the Lame rovers)

I will of course be doing my best not to let the side down.

These guys are really getting into it. My best mate has taken a week off work to body lift, snorkel and generally tinker around with his Rangey.

I would love to get a few photos of my surf dragging his around though.

Comment

Working...
                              X