yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poorly Surf. Desperately Need Help Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poorly Surf. Desperately Need Help Please.

Got a real problem here, it's been there a while and thick sh!t that I am I've been ignoring it. But now it's got to the point where I must have something done a.s.a.p.

Front end has a wobble, feels like wheels are out of balance but I've had that checked. Another symptom is if you rock the steering wheel very gently side to side you can feel a vibration travelling up the steering column.

Worst of all is when you brake, it feels like the front end is going to rattle loose! The Surf had new pads and disks fitted last September and it's been fine for months. I have wheel spacers fitted but it did the wobble thing before that, but only when braking.

Now to make matters worse sometimes when I brake it feels like something moves. It's hard to describe but it's almost like the brake caliper or the pads jump forward a touch! This doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally.

I know I should have my ar5e severly kicked for letting this go on for so long but I need to get this fixed now!!!

I'm taking the wheels off tomorrow and I'll be using a dial clock indicator to check for run out on the disks and any obvious damage, can anyone give me any further advice what to look for while I'm under there? Could the steering idler arm be worn and would that cause a judder when braking?

Any help greatly appreciated (and no lectures please on how stupid I've been for letting this go on for so long).

Thanks in advance. Jim.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Too much play in the wheel bearings, or the bearings are knackered? If the wobble was there before, then fitting spacers would have made it worse!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Too much play in the wheel bearings, or the bearings are knackered? If the wobble was there before, then fitting spacers would have made it worse!
      Strangely enough fitting the spacers had no great effect at the time, but if the bearings were worn no doubt the spacers accelerated the wear. Will check out the bearings when I have it jacked up tomorrow. Cheers Vince.

Comment

is your steering ok,ie noises when u go from lock to lock?if not that check all bushes ie anti roll bar etc?and yes u shud be

Comment

Originally posted by Copycat
          Strangely enough fitting the spacers had no great effect at the time, but if the bearings were worn no doubt the spacers accelerated the wear. Will check out the bearings when I have it jacked up tomorrow. Cheers Vince.

They may need tightening up a little, as they are tapered. You'll need a 55mm I think socket.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...ringsfront.htm
          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 26 October 2007, 21:49.

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2
            is your steering ok,ie noises when u go from lock to lock?if not that check all bushes ie anti roll bar etc?and yes u shud be
            Just the usual creak from the bump stops when on full lock. Steering is very responsive with no signs of excessive play when cornering etc.

Comment

bought spacers and then steel wheels really bad steering vibration ,took spacers off all ok , put spacers back on when i bought apaches wheels everything fine
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

u do know wot happens when wheel bearings give up?
                Last edited by darkdezigns; 26 October 2007, 21:56.

Comment

u do know wot happens when wheel earings give up?

your ears drop off
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Comment

u do know wot happens when wheel bearings give up?
                      Yes, it's normally bl00dy expensive to fix!

Comment

depending on when your wheel falls off andf wot u hit and your wheel hits???

Comment

Hi Jim,
                          I re-packed and adjusted the outer front bearings yesterday. Mine were very loose as in both lock-nuts and tab-washer were loose and being held only by the circlip on the stub-axle. The signs were a clunking noise when going over bumps/potholes. You dont need a 55mm socket- you can get away with a hammer and screw-driver/chisel as the 2 lock-nuts are not tightened too tight.
                          cheers,
                          chris