EGR Valve on 4 Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR Valve on 4 Runner

Looking at the EGR valve mod for my 4runner 3ltd 1995.

The truck runs great, good power/no smoke, so a bit apprehensive on doing it but reading the write ups it seems a sure fire mod to carry out with little or no risk.

I have read the write ups and looked at two different sets of images however mine does not seem to resemble either.

There is one similar shaped valve sitting directly above what looks like the fuel pump/manifold. About halfway up on the right side of the engine

There is a rubber tube coming from it which feeds into a small plastic cylinder (about the size of a 2 pence piece and bracketed off the inlet manifold, filter?) a rubber comes out of this and into the inlet manifold.

Half way up is a tee section with a further rubber tube feeding into an electrical connector again bracketed off the inlet manifold. Not sure what type of control device this is or what function it performs? Has 3 wires feeding it.

So is this the EGR valve and is it safe to pull off the tube and blank off as described elsewhere. What is the effect on the electrical componenent.

Seriously do not want to compromise the existing good performance.

UK 4Runners don't have a EGR valve.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      UK 4Runners don't have a EGR valve.

and thats then end of this thread
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
        and thats then end of this thread
        almost
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie
          almost
          Yup, you're right.

(no, I'm not trying to boost my post count at all, honest)
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

not quite the last post as I will complete the thread by saying a quick THANK YOU for pointing that out.

I thought the 4 runners where the same as surfs, maybe continuing on slightly then:

What else is fundamentally different?

Comment

Surfs and 4Runners are fundimentally the same, various trim/gadgets options aside, the biggest difference is how the engine is managed. Surfs are 'fly by wire' there is no direct connection to the fuel pump by the throttle cable, fuel delivery is regulated electronically depending on various sensors around the motor.

4Runners have a throttle cable operated manual fuel pump, with less electronics running the motor.

Comment

Which is better.

Is there some regulation that meant they changed them for the british market?

Like I said truck runs good (touching the wood) so didn't want to mess that up anyway!!

Comment

Originally posted by hilly64
                  Which is better.

Is there some regulation that meant they changed them for the british market?

Like I said truck runs good (touching the wood) so didn't want to mess that up anyway!!
                  The Surf should in theory run cleaner and better as its more monitered, BUT...... UK MOT dosn't test for NOx emissions, which is what the EGR valve regulates, lowering NOx emissions means you have to lower combustion temps by mixing a little inert gas (exhaust gases) when the motor is under heavy throttle, in effect lowering the quality of the fuel mixture, so ditching the EGR in a Surf means the mixture is better under heavy load, getting you less smoke and more power, at the expense of higher combustion temps and NOx emissions.

I've not noticed much difference between a 4Runner and Surf when driving them, apart from the Surf has a Cupholder and interier lights by the rear veiw mirror!!

Also I think the Japs didn't think they could trust us with overly complicated electronics!

Comment

cup holders!!

I knew I was missing something

Comment

I have cup holders and interior light in my 4Runner
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                        I have cup holders and interior light in my 4Runner
                        And a Auto window up!

Comment

Down but not up but do have electric sunroof
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Working...
                          X