No announcement yet.

Do you offroad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bensonsnuts, I used to live in Kirklevington and did the 16 mile farm track across the moors from Rosedale to Stokesly in the Disco. A bit stupid to do it on my own I know but it was great fun. Also did some off roading at Robin Hoods Bay. Now I am down in Wales with the Surf I can not seem to find out where the greenlaning places are apart from the ones you have to pay for. I will try to get to a meet next time it is in the South Wales area.
    Malcolm
    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Having just returned (ok returned 2 hours ago, and have only just finished jetwashing) from Pingewood. I can say without doubt that it is not nesesary to damage your vehicle and have fun. This was my second time offroad with the beast, both times have been at organised events, the first was at Langdale Quest in North Yorkshire where I did manage to remove the fog light and trailer electrics. Whereas today I've managed to come away with no damadge. This is my only vehicle, and I have a zero budget for repairs, so why do I take the risk? because in my opinion Toyota designed the vehicle for offroad use, and not doing it would be a complete waste of my vehicle. I could have saved myself alot of money and bought an estate car.
      All you have to do is go slow, watch others, and trust your Surf. Most of the time it is better at this than you are.
      If you haven't tried it just join in with others, you will find out that you were missing out on a great time.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Haven't done as much as I'd like but that is due to the Surf being my everyday vehicle - but more improtant, I put road tyres on it when I first got it - soon be changing then for Mud Terrains. The tyres have limited me more than anything, been a few times to the Pit but have only been round a couple of times becuase it was hard enough just getting to the carpark. Still manage to go around with someone else though. It's great fun, and you are fairly unlikely to do any real lasting damage if you aren't a complete nutcase. You can have lots of fun and not damage the Surf cos it is a pretty stong machine really.

Cheers

Comment

I would love to and will

I used to green lane on a trail bike and loved it...blooming hard work though. As soon as I have figured out what is up with my engine that's where I am headed..along with a neighbour who takes his Vitara up them!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

warning : the loss of the rear fog light is compulsory and must be acomplished on the first visit or you will be asumed to be cleverer than us and a smart ass.

sumo

I saw a Surf leave Pingewood today still intact. Maveric I think.??????

Geoff.
            Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Here's an image from today:
              You folks have to PAY to offroad? Hah!

Comment

Originally posted by Scofco

I have to agree with maveric, my surf is my only "vehicle" I can't afford lengthy repairs and did spent to me a relativly large amount of money on it.
                I have now clocked up quite a few days of green laning, where the worst damage is a few light scratches from undergrowth.
                This is what the car is designed for, maybe not to the limit in standard form as the modded suzi's 90's etc.. but if you look at the "standard" terrain in much of Australia's outback, where the toyota's are king its worse than some of the green lanes Ive been on.

Pingewood was my first organised off road site day, and I didn't break anything, I got muddy and had to be towed out by a SJ!!! (Damaged pride) but had a great time.

Basically its whatever floats your boat.

When you can off road in a surf, you are doing it in much more luxury than a heavily modded dedicated off roader.

Go on - give it a try!
                2 Tone Mud Master!
                http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Scofco

Yeah but you're a luck SOB. I dream of living somewher like the Yukon or Alaska. But then my wife hates the cold so I guess that's out.

Came out to Toronto in the winter a couple of years ago, hired a 4WD expecting to have some fun - it just rained, what a dissapointment.

Cheers

Comment

Not........

Well I got to agree with Elvz.......

I like my Surf as it is way too much to start throwing it around the place. I needed a large load carrier for camping equipment with occasional off road capability for muddy camp sites, car boot sale car parks and getting up my drive in the occasional snowy times.

Other than that, I don't need 4wd.

It seems to me that many Surf owners have described off road manouvres which may not cause immediate damage, but may cause problems long term - these include over revving (low traction = lower engine load), overloading the transmission system when climbing steep gradients and wading through water which is way too deep to keep the starter motor, alternator, exhaust manifold, aerial motor, window winder motor and a whole host of other stuff in a dry condition.

All these activities may be fun and ok if the car is new, under warranty and you intend to change it in 3 years. However, I am planning to keep mine for a long time to come.

I've been on these 'off road' days, damaged a transmission and blown 2 cylinder head gaskets on my every-day car - never again!!

Whilst I agree that the Surf may be ok off road - it's certainly not All-Terrain, being way too big and heavy. I agree with the other owners who think that the Surf is ideal for towing one of these small 4x4's on a trailer to get hammered around the off road course and then cart the poor little beggars, bent and battered, back home.

That's my 2p's worth.

Rob

Comment

I would have to disagree very strongly with the opinion that the Surf is too big and heavy to be a good off road motor. For people who drive off road all the time in countries with little good infrastructure, farmers, game wardens etc big is generally better.

In the Southern hemisphere the Landcruiser is king and that is certainly no lightweight making a Surf look like a Suzuki in comparison.

Remember with a Surf, a lot of the weight is in the strength with components being considerably stronger than your average car. They can also be considerably bigger and stronger than a lightweight 4x4 like a Suzuki.

However in certain conditions lighter is better - sand racing, really deep mud. However by good tyre choice the extra weight disadvantage is negated somewhat.

Also a lot of people rate the Disco, however it's bigger, heavier and guess what Nigel seems to be making a habit of pulling out of trouble at the Pit?.

I agree that when you need a car for everyday and you spent a lot of money on it, you don't neccessarily want to really try some of the more damaging courses or lanes, however you don't need to baby these beasts. Short of keeping the radiator clean and getting that protruding exhaust bent into a new position, they are strong, well built and reliable machines. They certainly are a match for pretty much anything else out there in most conditions and will surprise you every time.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X