Show us your dog guards!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show us your dog guards!!

OK - I'm looking for a new dog guard - one that actually keeps my labs in the rear of the car this time.

I do not want one of the ones with floor to ceiling pillars than "wedge" in. The labs just lean against the bottom of the pillars and then the guard falls on top of them. I need one that either just goes from the top of the back seats to the roof, or slopes parallel to the back seats and cant be pushed over.

I do not want cages either, just a grill.

So - suggestions please - preferably with pics and where they came from.
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

This would do it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Couldn't you fix some brackets top and bottom of the rear seats, then just wedge the guard into place. The brackets would hold it in place better, rather the conventional wedge in place and hope for the best
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

You need to find someone who can bend bits of metal and weld stuff - get him to make some brackets that slip over the back seats and weld the old guard to them. Don't know where you'd find someone like that tho'
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

I use the standard dog guard from Roughtrax, I had the same problem with the hound knocking it over. Came up with a nice easy solution - very small luggage padlocks, lock them to the metal bars on the rear seatbelts. They are small enough to do this whilst keeping the seatbelts operational and is strong enough to stop my 9 stone rottie knocking it over. It is also dead easy to remove that way, without having to undo any knots on string or anything.

Comment

I've been giving this a lot of thought

Sorry 'bout the pic but the best I can find ATM, it looks nothing like I have in mind other than it has 1) a guard area, 2) bottom legs with brackets that fit onto the seat clips and 3) top retaining brackets.

Form guard area in 10mm section with 100x100mm mesh welded on it.

The bottom brackets fix onto the back seat securing rings, on the Surf you'd have to make a c section plate that fits over the ring and pointing to the back of the truck so that when the seats are then clipped back in place they secure the bottom of the guard.

The top brackets extend forward and are fitted into the front two headlining retaining studs. Maybe just a plain pin will go in far enough that it stops the guard moving back/forward at the top. Or tap and screw the rib where the plastic stud goes.

That's the plan, can you picture it or shall I draw it?

Just need to find someone to make one
            Wax on, wax off

Comment

we have an old paddy hopkirk one, similar to this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-DOG-...QQcmdZViewItem , only where the guard joins the legs there is a join, and i'm sure it came with different angled pieces to join the legs and the guard we only appear to have the straight join left, but i'm sure a bit of copper pipe or something bent to the right shape would do the job.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
                Couldn't you fix some brackets top and bottom of the rear seats, then just wedge the guard into place. The brackets would hold it in place better, rather the conventional wedge in place and hope for the best
                Nope - they still easily knock it down when they want to get into the front. I don't want a wedge in one.
                Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy
                  I've been giving this a lot of thought

That's the plan, can you picture it or shall I draw it?

Just need to find someone to make one
                  I can picture it and I know a man who can make it , but I was hoping for one I can buy as it will be much quicker than waiting for Dr Anglegrinder....
                  Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                    we have an old paddy hopkirk one, similar to this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-DOG-...QQcmdZViewItem , .
                    ahh I have one of these, but black dog can push the horizontal bars in and squeeze through so I want a weldmesh one.

I've seen these - I'm sure I have. I thought there was a surf one somewhere that someone had made - might have been Barco? or something similar.
                    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Ahhh found it - Barjo not Barco.
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Could you modify this to take the dogs ???

http://www.ticktin.com/picts-Funny/p...atcarrier.html

My other cars a QUAD
                        (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                        http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

With my lot I've found that the only way is a custom built item that secures to the vehicle, pressure and wedge ones always give way (eventually).
                          Barjo will make anything to your specs, but they aren't cheap (they are good tho).
                          Probably your best bet would be to get a mesh guard and get Tony (bribe him if need be) to find a way of securing it to the sides.
                          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

How about a guard dog???

Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                              OK - I'm looking for a new dog guard - one that actually keeps my labs in the rear of the car this time.

I do not want one of the ones with floor to ceiling pillars than "wedge" in. The labs just lean against the bottom of the pillars and then the guard falls on top of them. I need one that either just goes from the top of the back seats to the roof, or slopes parallel to the back seats and cant be pushed over.

I do not want cages either, just a grill.

So - suggestions please - preferably with pics and where they came from.

If you can draw these people will make it
                              http://www.hamsterbaskets.co.uk/ or so they say.
                              Trust your Hound.

Comment

Working...
                              X