No announcement yet.

Show us your dog guards!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Linda, I've got the "wedge-in" variety of dog guard in the surf and a Boxer and Newfoundland that try to push it out of the way on the way to the park, unmodified they would be able to as it is impossible with those guards to get the compression required to make them secure for boisterous dogs.
    However, with a very simple modification they're very secure and the "twins" haven't managed to move it.

All you need do is use the major adjusters to get the legs of the guard to approx the right size and lock them off, then carefully slide the guard out of the car (I did the one in our surf in-situ, but you may find it easier to do removed) and drill a hole though each leg, make sure the hole is drilled where it will go through the inner and outer sleeve of the leg then place an appropriately sized nut and bolt through that hole.
    Obviously you could do the same to secure the horizontal bars from moving also.

Then you put the guard back in the car and use the minor adjusters to secure the guard in place and you will find it compresses firmly into place and the dogs won't be able to move it.

The problem with these "wedge-in" guards has always been that the minor adjusters cause the leg to shorten at the major adjuster point before suitable pressure can be achieved to keep them in place, but the above mod cures that flaw.

Hope that helps and if you want a pic of what I have described, just hollar.
    L3M.
    Last edited by L3Mm1n6; 27 September 2007, 18:12.
    Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!!!

Comment

I'm thinking of adapting one of the "guard on a roll" type ones, or maybe one of those twangy cargo nets

Mark......
      Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
        How about a guard dog???

Aaawwwwwhhhhh - sooo sweeeeet

Jacqueline

Comment

What you want is one of these...
          Attached Files
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            Looks good where did you get it or did you fabricate it yourself?
            Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
              Hmm but that wastes about a foot of spave at floor level doesn't it? I'd prefer it flat against the back seat really. What make is this though as it looks good if a little heavy with the big tube rails.

L3Mm1n6 - I know what you mean - but believe me Poppy and Gemma can and have moved them even when they are wedged tight ! I want a bolt in one this time!!

Maverick - I think it will be Barjo custom made - awaiting a quote.
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
                Looks good where did you get it or did you fabricate it yourself?
                Its out of a ML, but er.. modded.. It was very cost effective
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                  Hmm but that wastes about a foot of spave at floor level doesn't it? I'd prefer it flat against the back seat really. What make is this though as it looks good if a little heavy with the big tube rails.
                  Its the perfect space for tie downs and all the $$$$ I cant live without, like a street map of portsmouth and such like
                  Last edited by Chillitt; 27 September 2007, 23:26.
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

dog guard

Hi Linda, we had one like you need in our truck when we bought it, it was secured to the rear quarter panels by a bolt each side at the bottom and the rear seatbelt anchors secured it at the top. I will try and get a picture posted tomorrow morning.I have just removed it this week to allow us to move some of my sons Uni stuff for him, not sure if we will be putting it back in or not as our dog is really quite well behaved in the car. If the wife decides we dont need it, you are welcome to have it .
                    My other car is a Red Hot Mini !!!

Comment

Originally posted by jofestus
                      Hi Linda, we had one like you need in our truck when we bought it, it was secured to the rear quarter panels by a bolt each side at the bottom and the rear seatbelt anchors secured it at the top. I will try and get a picture posted tomorrow morning.I have just removed it this week to allow us to move some of my sons Uni stuff for him, not sure if we will be putting it back in or not as our dog is really quite well behaved in the car. If the wife decides we dont need it, you are welcome to have it .
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

sorry

Linda, Sorry for the delay but we had a sudden death in the family,so were a little pre-occupied. however i hope these images upload OK.Still not very good at this kinda thing,but here goes...
                        IMG]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc106/jofestus_95/flowersanddogguard003.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

pics

they appear to be a little on the large side,but hopefully you can see how it fits and it makes some kinda sense. Diane (my wife) is still deciding wether or not she wants to keep it for when the dog has to come on long trips with us. So far he has only been on short trips but has been fine. I will let you know as soon as i can.
                          Regards Joe

Comment

barjo

barjo is wot you want lynda . there in basingstoke and have made my guards for years . if i remember they might have the pattern for the 2nd gen . i have full double cages but they will do just the back grill with 1 or 2 doors il go out n take a pic hang on lol there ya go and def rattle free . top quality . oh take no notice of the rubbish in the back he he
                            Attached Files
                            black n tan
                            black n tan
                            yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Working...
                            X