Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears

Chaps,

Before I get a virtual slap for asking a question that has probably been covered several times already, allow me to explain - The 4x4 section on the FAQs page does not work and the search box won't let me type in Gears and "L" or "2" as it appears to ignore the single letters!!

I have had the surf for over a year and have never used Gear "2" or "L", not only that but I have no idea when one would consider using them!! Any advice would be great!!

I have never slammed the car into 4x4, I am aware from reading posts on this page that one should be careful with this on a normal road as there is major potential to damage the gear box Is there anyway I can check to see if the 4x4 works without taking it into a field??

Muchos Thankies!!

Originally posted by Nellington
    Chaps,

Before I get a virtual slap for asking a question that has probably been covered several times already, allow me to explain - The 4x4 section on the FAQs page does not work and the search box won't let me type in Gears and "L" or "2" as it appears to ignore the single letters!!

I have had the surf for over a year and have never used Gear "2" or "L", not only that but I have no idea when one would consider using them!! Any advice would be great!!

I have never slammed the car into 4x4, I am aware from reading posts on this page that one should be careful with this on a normal road as there is major potential to damage the gear box Is there anyway I can check to see if the 4x4 works without taking it into a field??

Muchos Thankies!!
    'L' is low or first gear, '2' is second gear.
    You can pull away in 'L' then shift to '2' when the revs build up then shift to 'D' if you wanted to.

Comment

Chaps,

Muchos Thankies!!
      There is the run at Dorking in a fortnight's time

Trev
      Last edited by That Ruddy Squirrel; 23 September 2007, 21:45. Reason: Just read Vince's post and got wrong end of stick
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

(insert colourful metaphore here) I will be back in Afghanistan then Anything local around December time?? I want to take the beast of road somewhere but don't want to kill it because I don't have another car!!!

Originally posted by UDTrev
        There is the run at Dorking in a fortnight's time

Trev

Comment

(insert colourful metaphore here) I will be back in Afghanistan then Anything local around December time?? I want to take the beast of road somewhere but don't want to kill it because I don't have another car!!!
          Nothing organised as far as I am aware.

KEEP your bonce down in Afghanistan

Let us know what dates you will be available for in Dec and we will see if we can include you in a run.

Trev

Comment

Will do, I tend to find the foetal position works miracles!!
            Have you changed cars or something??? Have not seen you about for a while?? The only Surf I have seen recently is a purple one hanging out in Sainsburys.

Nothing organised as far as I am aware.

KEEP your bonce down in Afghanistan

Let us know what dates you will be available for in Dec and we will see if we can include you in a run.

Trev

Comment

You can test the 4wd by pushing the button on the side of the small gear lever, unless you are in a gravel carpark, then make sure you keep going straight.

It's the going round corners in 4wd on tarmac that can do the damage.

You should be able to press this button at speeds of up to 60kph, and engage 4wd without any adverse effect.

By stopping the vehicle and then shifting the small lever forward, you will select 4wd and low range which you would use in more difficult conditions, ie deep mud/snow, or towing a heavy object on soft ground.

Or you could read the back of the sun visor.
              Last edited by plumb bob; 23 September 2007, 22:00.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Cheers matey, might give this a whirl. Not sure about the sunvisor thingy, my Japanese is a bit rusty

Originally posted by plumb bob
                You can test the 4wd by pushing the button on the side of the small gear lever, unless you are in a gravel carpark, then make sure you keep going straight.

It's the going round corners in 4wd on tarmac that can do the damage.

You should be able to press this button at speeds of up to 60kph, and engage 4wd without any adverse effect.

By stopping the vehicle and then shifting the small lever forward, you will select 4wd and low range which you would use in more difficult conditions, ie deep mud/snow, or towing a heavy object on soft ground.

Or you could read the back of the sun visor.

Comment

Will do, I tend to find the foetal position works miracles!!
                  Have you changed cars or something??? Have not seen you about for a while?? The only Surf I have seen recently is a purple one hanging out in Sainsburys.
                  Nope, still got the Hippo, she was there Saturday Afternoon

Comment

Doh!! I go in the mornings!!

Nope, still got the Hippo, she was there Saturday Afternoon

Comment

Doh!! I go in the mornings!!
                      I usually end up there around 2:30ish playing hunt the space within trolley shoving distance

Comment

I always, without fail, end up parking right at the bottom because I still am unable to find a space big enough (or with cars either side not at a 45 degree angle) to get into.

I usually end up there around 2:30ish playing hunt the space within trolley shoving distance

Comment

So anyway, as I was saying, 'L' is low or first gear, '2' is second gear.
                          Is that clear, or would you like a second opinion?

Comment

nah that's cool matey. Why would anyone want 1st and 2nd gears on an auto, does the gearbox not shift through these as standard or is this for offroad type activity??

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            So anyway, as I was saying, 'L' is low or first gear, '2' is second gear.
                            Is that clear, or would you like a second opinion?

Comment

...............or is this for offroad type activity??

Correct. If you shift into 'L' and the shorter lever forward into 'L4' you can take both feet off the pedals and the truck will creep along at tick-over. It's a kind of hill decent mode or rock crawling mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X