Calling all tree surgeons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all tree surgeons

I have just taken delivery of about 20 ton of oak from a road contractor who was going to bury it in the road construction site (it was in their way)

Anyway I have now got it home using home made trailer and surf.

My trusty partner 400 chain saw about 20 years old is really struggling to get through it. I'm getting there but have to sharpen the chain every 5 minutes.

If I use the teeth and try to rotate the saw around the large branches it just gets too much for the saw.

I seem to have found using just the tip and pushing it though the most successful method any tips before I wreck my saw.

The wood will largely be turned and used for my wee pot belly stove.
    Better than getting buried on the hill side.

Cheers JB
    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Go to B&Q and get a new chain they are about £12.99 look at the old chain and it should have it marked on the side the size and length of the links off hand i think they are about 42 links long but check to make sure
    Last edited by kiowa; 23 September 2007, 21:26.
    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Buy a tungsten carbide tipped chain for your saw, or something designed for hardwoods, probably cost less than £15-£20
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Cheers Guy's The file is a 3/16" for the teeth. Knackered now have Aching muscles I haven't used in years and forgotten I had.

Comment

The wood is too 'green' to cut up yet . It needs to be stored for a year before you can cut/machine it smaller without professional tools .
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I've done work with tree surgeons who cut down live Oak trees, it don't get much greener than that.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              The wood is too 'green' to cut up yet . It needs to be stored for a year before you can cut/machine it smaller without professional tools .
              I think Mrs Highlander would have kittens if I leave it for a year in front of the house and my head would be in the chopping block Here she comes.

PS someone once told me the longer it gets left the harder it get's!

Comment

BEECH TREES are a beech to cut up so think yourself lucky.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

DONT EVER USE THE TIP OF A CHAINSAW BLADE!!!! It's a really good way to make the saw kick, and then you will have a nice long stay in hospital, and have go get your food cut up for you!
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Heres a thought, when you sharpen the saw, are you taking the tops off the rakes with a flat file, as well as using the rat tail on the cutting part of the blade? if not, the the rakes will be keeping the edge away from the wood, and no matter how sharp the thing is, you are cutting by friction. Are the cuts you are making discoloured? (the saw working on the nose usually means rakes are too long..)
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

20 ton, thats got to be worth a few bob.

last time i bought oak it was £38 per cubeic foot

you should go to your local sawmill and see what price you would get,

it would buy you a new chainsaw

cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                        20 ton, thats got to be worth a few bob.

last time i bought oak it was £38 per cubeic foot

you should go to your local sawmill and see what price you would get,

it would buy you a new chainsaw

cheers scotty
                        That's a thought maybe I could sell bits on ebay too

Cheers Scotty

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                          Heres a thought, when you sharpen the saw, are you taking the tops off the rakes with a flat file, as well as using the rat tail on the cutting part of the blade? if not, the the rakes will be keeping the edge away from the wood, and no matter how sharp the thing is, you are cutting by friction. Are the cuts you are making discoloured? (the saw working on the nose usually means rakes are too long..)
                          I think you may have a point there I'll give it a go I have taken the rakes down but maybe not enough cheers JB

Comment

You can take it to Drumclog this weekend for our fire
                            There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Originally posted by onlynik
                              You can take it to Drumclog this weekend for our fire
                              $$$$ this weekend $$$$$$ hell time flies can I bring the wee fella with his trails bike so he can follow us?

Comment

Working...
                              X