Spacers, Cool or Carp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacers, Cool or Carp??

A guy came round to do some work on the house in a Mitsubishi thing which looked like it had massive ole wheels on it. Turns out the wheels are the same as mine but he had spacers fitted to make them come out a bit more.

What's the deal with Spacers?? Are they a good thing to have or do they do bad things to your car?? And where would one go to buy these (have looked at roughtrax to see what they look like but they have none in stock).

A general consensus on whether spacers are cool or carp??

Originally posted by Nellington
    A guy came round to do some work on the house in a Mitsubishi thing which looked like it had massive ole wheels on it. Turns out the wheels are the same as mine but he had spacers fitted to make them come out a bit more.

What's the deal with Spacers?? Are they a good thing to have or do they do bad things to your car?? And where would one go to buy these (have looked at roughtrax to see what they look like but they have none in stock).

A general consensus on whether spacers are cool or carp??
    Cool ol bean

But for gawds sake make sure you get the right ones - you want the ones like this, NOT like these

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
      Cool ol bean

But for gawds sake make sure you get the right ones - you want the ones like this, NOT like these

Trev
      cool,have just orderedsome on surfensteins recomendation
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

spacers are cool.although they do amplify any sloppyness in the steering joints.
        Last edited by surfenstein; 18 September 2007, 19:05.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

What effects do they have on the drivability of the vehicle, steering, axles and drivetrain etc.??
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Cheers chap!! Sorry for being thick, I can see they are both different, but er what is the difference?? So I know what I am asking for (,")

Originally posted by UDTrev
            Cool ol bean

Trev

Comment

they dont have any detrimental effect on the vehicle,that i know of.however people have said they have sheared the studs off of the spacers getting the wheels off,but maybe thats because they did the nuts up to tight.they give you a wider stance so giving you more stable road holding.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cheers chap!! Sorry for being thick, I can see they are both different, but er what is the difference?? So I know what I am asking for (,")
                The better set are steel, so are much stronger
                Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

You need spacers that bolt directly to the hubs, NOT the spacers with extension bolts as they can snap.

TonyN
                  LAsupertrux
                  Roughtrax, all sell the proper spacers.

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
                    they dont have any detrimental effect on the vehicle,that i know of.however people have said they have sheared the studs off of the spacers getting the wheels off,but maybe thats because they did the nuts up to tight.they give you a wider stance so giving you more stable road holding.
                    Also, they can accelerate wheel bearing wear, so make sure the wheel bearings are in good condition.

Comment

The ones with the extended studs carry the risk of the studs snapping, the steel ones have new studs bolted to the spacer, which then bolts to the original wheel studs.
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

cool !!!! they dont make spacers for fish though

they will exaggerate any probs you have ie wheel balancing ,

have took mine off for the moment as they are making steering wheel tremor [have play in n/s wheel bearing]
                        Last edited by joker??; 18 September 2007, 19:17.
                        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I got mine from L.A.Supertrux ebay auction... £100 delivered!

Fitting them when i get my lift an new tyres finished. I dont think i have clearance with my current offset.

The quality of the L.A.S ones is superb!!

Comment

that answered my question bout dem too, cheers guys
                            He who dies wit the most toys WINS!

Comment

I bought a set of the cheaper ones a while back. When they arrived I took one look at them and decided that they were going nowhere near my Surf as the build quality was awful.

I did do a temporary fit on one wheel at one point (I had the wheel off for something else) to see what the truck looked like with them on. It looked like the existing studs were too long for the extension studs, so the wheel was just sitting on them, and not butting up tightly against the spacers as it should do. This has some potentially very dire consequences for stability and handling. The only fix would be to take an angle grinder to all 24 studs and cut 2-3mm off them.
                              Paul </Slugsie>
                              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X