Hub Nut nightmare.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub Nut nightmare.

Well, I've got all the bits I need to replace my rubber boots. I've also got 2 brand new vented OE brake discs with all new oil seals, dust seals, pads, retaining pins, anti rattle plates etc,etc, all from Toyota. I was going to start the job today, but I've looked everywhere for the correct size socket for my hub nuts.

I called my mate at Toyota and he went into the workshops to see what the size was. He told me it's a 55mm socket that fits the hub nuts (but most threads on here mention a 54mm socket.)

In the end, I've ordered a 55mm Box Spanner which will arrive Monday. This looks just like the Land Rover aftermarket hub nut box spanners. This should do the job just fine. I've noticed an Australian aftermarket hub nut socket on ebay for a reasonable price, but it would take too long to reach me. I'm not going down the chisel and hammer route, as in my opinion, you can't seat the bearings in properly that way as your unable to tighten them up enough initially. I will see if I can take a photo diary when doing the job, so long as my phone doesn't get covered in grease.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by M35A2; 13 September 2007, 19:36.

I think i used a 54mm socket, huuuge. I kinda put the job in the "P.I.T.A" box, Its not reallllly hard!

Just that, a couple of weeks before i did my sisters astra's discs! Took no time at all. Surf took a lot longer.

Comment

Most TOYOTA Mechanics use Hammer & Chisel method. FACT
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Its a 54mm mate but a flat head and a hammer will do as they are very low torque and held by the tab washers.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Most TOYOTA Mechanics use Hammer & Chisel method. FACT

Most mechanics do it that way mate, but it's not their truck they are working on, I wouldn't be that bothered either if it wasn't mine.

I've done Land Rover hubs loads of times and they are almost the same as the Surfs in layout, and they too had the hub nuts hammered to fu*k. I had to replace most of the nuts on those. I decided to go down the safe route.

The sockets are another matter. I never found a 54mm, but did find a 56mm. It was HUGE and looked to be about 10-12mm thick. This might not fit into the hub as it was too thick, so a box spanner is ideal. Just want to get the job done now.

Comment

I visit a few TOYOTA DEALERS from time to time with my JOB & ive asked them what their method was.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Hi mate. What are the part numbers for the hub nut and the outer circlips please. And do you have the washer, bolt and dome shaped cap for the end of the stub axel, if so, can i have the part number for them too please.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                Well, I've got all the bits I need to replace my rubber boots. I've also got 2 brand new vented OE brake discs with all new oil seals, dust seals, pads, retaining pins, anti rattle plates etc,etc, all from Toyota. I was going to start the job today, but I've looked everywhere for the correct size socket for my hub nuts.

I called my mate at Toyota and he went into the workshops to see what the size was. He told me it's a 55mm socket that fits the hub nuts (but most threads on here mention a 54mm socket.)

In the end, I've ordered a 55mm Box Spanner which will arrive Monday. This looks just like the Land Rover aftermarket hub nut box spanners. This should do the job just fine. I've noticed an Australian aftermarket hub nut socket on ebay for a reasonable price, but it would take too long to reach me. I'm not going down the chisel and hammer route, as in my opinion, you can't seat the bearings in properly that way as your unable to tighten them up enough initially. I will see if I can take a photo diary when doing the job, so long as my phone doesn't get covered in grease.
                Can I ask where ya got ya CV gaitors, do they come as a pair (Inner & Outer Kit) & how much ?
                Ta very much .....

There's always a Payback .... Ya just won't see it Comin !!!!
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Surferjess
                  Can I ask where ya got ya CV gaitors, do they come as a pair (Inner & Outer Kit) & how much ?
                  Ta very much .....

There's always a Payback .... Ya just won't see it Comin !!!!

Hi. I got the rubber boots and all the other parts from Inchcape Toyota, Oxford. A main dealer. My mate is the Parts guru there.

They come as kit to do one side. You need to buy two kits to do both sides. You can't beat genuine parts. The rubber is very thick and looks like it will last for years. The kit comprises the inner and outer rubber boots for one side, two tubes of grease (these are two different types of grease, one for the inner and one for the outer joints on the drive shaft as they run at different temp ranges) the metal bands that go on each end of the gaiter and the circlip that holds the tripod joint to the driveshaft.

The kit retails at £68.09 each + vat.

Comment

Originally posted by clayton8798
                    Hi mate. What are the part numbers for the hub nut and the outer circlips please. And do you have the washer, bolt and dome shaped cap for the end of the stub axel, if so, can i have the part number for them too please.

Sorry mate, I haven't got those parts apart from the circlip, I've only ordered the non re-usabe parts to do the job. I will list the parts below.

Comment

Part Numbers

Here is a list of the part numbers to replace the rubber boots on the driveshafts and also the brake discs, pads, etc.

Y04465-35140 04A06 DISC PAD, FRONT X1
                      Y90240-06014 N/STK PIN X4
                      Y43422-60010 N/STK GASKET, HUB X2
                      Y90215-42025 N/STK WASHER X2
                      Y90214-42030 N/STK WASHER X2
                      Y90520-27023 N/STK CIRCLIP X2 (these come in boot kit)
                      Y04428-35010 N/STK KING PIN KIT X2 ( RUBBER BOOT KIT)
                      Y90311-66003 N/STK OIL SEAL X2
                      Y43512-35200 N/STK BRAKE DISC FR X2
                      Y47748-60030 N/STK SPRING, RATTLE X2
                      Y90468-12019 N/STK CLIP X2
                      Y90304-76003 N/STK SEAL, DUST X2

Comment

Working...
                      X