roof mounted lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof mounted lights

some of you may recall i was looking at some roof mounted lights which i wanted to fit to a bar in front of the roof line above the screen.

I bought a set of these off ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDROVER-DEFE...QQcmdZViewItem , and figure i may not need to even build a bar, as i can turn the lights upside down in the brackets so the drain hole will still be at the bottom of the light if i fix the bracket directly above the windscreen, any thoughts as to whether i should fix directly above the screen or is it better to have a bar?

Things I am considering at the moment are, roof shape means they will point outwards slightly, but as they are fogs they should be a fairly wide beam anyway. strength, i don't want the front of the roof to dent if the lights take a knock. Adjustability, one of my main concerns is reflections on the screen, one of the reasons i wanted fog lights (although i didn't know these were fogs until they arrived!!) as i'm thinking the beam pattern should be better suited to aiming over the bonnet thus hopefully eliminating reflection off the bonnet and screen.

Anything else i should be thinking about? Other than making sure it looks good!
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Personaly i'd fit em to a bar but see what there like when you get em, i would'nt site em to close to the front as you'l probably get glare through the screen, especially if their defused beam fogs, if you fit a bar and want to be able to remove it easily (which i cant) you could use wing nuts to fasten it down and to unplug the wireing (which i cant) get some weather proof connectors from vehicle wireing products, some pics of mine might give you some ideas,
    i used some alloy plate and alloy sq box from b&q
    Attached Files
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I've been looking at these for a while.........Ideal for a exo cage, but looking at a tubular light bar
      http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Lite.asp
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
        I've been looking at these for a while.........Ideal for a exo cage, but looking at a tubular light bar
        http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Lite.asp
        I looked at them, but changed my mind when i saw them at the donny show, i've seen brighter candles, they use domestic low voltage reflector bulbs.

I got the ebay ones through, they came while i was away last week, i'll get some photos tomorrow of them offered up where i'm thinking about putting them.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

right these are what they look like taped in position(ish) for fixing directly to the roof. This section of roof is double skinned so all i could do in terms of fixings is get everything marked up and in place then use self drilling screws. But i think they look OK and i'm tempted to go this route anyway, i'm no fabrication genius and any brackets i make at home for a bar isn't going to look any better. I guess the telling thing will be how much glare/reflection there is on the screen.

I have 4 lights, but only taped 2 up to get an idea of what they're gonna look like.
          Last edited by nero279; 4 September 2007, 14:38.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

I have a set of Ring micro fog lights mounted under a bar on mine. They provide a good pool of light around the front of the car. I have them mounted about 6 inches back from the windscreen, and there is no screen glare. The reflections off the back of my bull-bar are the worst problem (not much). I'm looking to add some spots too to get a better long-range beam as well.

The main problem with most roof bar lighting systems is that they usually mean you can't use a traditional roof-rack system. With mine being so small (probably not much smaller that those ones) they fitted under the Thule bar, which means that I can still carry loads on the top of the bar.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

(You posted the pics while I was still typing )

They do look quite good there, but being fogs you probably will get quite a bit of glare on the screen. You could either mount them back an inch or so, or put in some form of dark sun visor strip. Wait until tonight, and then jerry-rig them up so they come on (couple of wires and a fuse!) then you'll be able to tell if there are any problems.

My only other comment is that two look a little lost, get two more if possible.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
                (You posted the pics while I was still typing )

They do look quite good there, but being fogs you probably will get quite a bit of glare on the screen. You could either mount them back an inch or so, or put in some form of dark sun visor strip. Wait until tonight, and then jerry-rig them up so they come on (couple of wires and a fuse!) then you'll be able to tell if there are any problems.

My only other comment is that two look a little lost, get two more if possible.
                Yeah that's what i'm planning to do, temporary rig them up then adjust them to see if i can eliminate any glare, i've got 4 of them, but only taped 2 up at the mo.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

you could fit eight on there! tested em yet?
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

been out and tested them about half hour ago and i was suitably impressed, hardly any glare and decent light output. Will check again when it's properly dark, but so far so good. probably be fixed on tomorrow and wired up if the next test goes to plan.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                      you could fit eight on there! tested em yet?
                      think of my poor alternator, got a set of 6" spots with 130w bulbs in the garage, 100w bulbs in the headlights, i may be tempted to put 100w bulbs in these 4 too.

That lot adds up to about 70 Amps, what's the alternator rated to??
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                        think of my poor alternator, got a set of 6" spots with 130w bulbs in the garage, 100w bulbs in the headlights, i may be tempted to put 100w bulbs in these 4 too.

That lot adds up to about 70 Amps, what's the alternator rated to??
                        Hmm, is your MOT tester blind? (If he isn't already, he will be when you next get it tested ).

Where did you get the 100w headlight bulbs?
                        Paul </Slugsie>
                        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Got the bulbs from halfords, fitted an upgraded loom before i put them in though. I got 100/80w in at the mo, they do 130/90w aswell.

Got the 4 lights all fitted up today and went for a drive tonight, the fecker's are glaring on the screen like mad. Typical, they were fine when i trial fitted them yesterday and jerry'd them up, guess it must just be coz it was on the driveway and too much other light around being in town. Sure i can sort it though, might try fibreglassing up a sun visor type thing tomorrow or just bending some sheet metal round the lower edge of each light.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

How come everyone else gets the electrical mods done before i do! How sloooow am i! I still aint wired my roof lights up! an ive STILL got to wire my new dials, Help!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                              How come everyone else gets the electrical mods done before i do! How sloooow am i! I still aint wired my roof lights up! an ive STILL got to wire my new dials, Help!
                              Coz i'd rather be playing at fitting lights than studying for my ADI theory test. Although at this rate i ain't gonna be earning any more money to throw at the surf til I get my ADI badge, now if that's not motivation enough i'm screwed.
                              =========
                              =SOLD UP!=
                              =========

Comment

Working...
                              X