fuel economy 2.4td 27mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel economy 2.4td 27mpg

i forgot to mention this earlier but ive got a new break through!
    from calais to lyon took us 20 hours solid drive with only 1 stop to fill up and another to grab some food. we got lost an ended up in belgium so its why it took so long

but from 6:30am til god knows when i did just over 500km on one tank full of 40 litre veg and about 10-15 litre diesel.!
    i worked this out to be just over 27 miles per gallon.
    roughly constant speed of about 55- 60mph through the country lanes.

and that was on veg! if i was on diesel im sure to get another mpg or two!

Beat that!

even through the mountains (turbo pretty much constantly at 5-10psi) i got 430km to a tank
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

The old 2.4 doing ok then, thats pretty good mpg for the model, make sure you take lots of pics, and post a trip report when you get back.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
      i forgot to mention this earlier but ive got a new break through!
      from calais to lyon took us 20 hours solid drive with only 1 stop to fill up and another to grab some food. we got lost an ended up in belgium so its why it took so long

but from 6:30am til god knows when i did just over 500km on one tank full of 40 litre veg and about 10-15 litre diesel.!
      i worked this out to be just over 27 miles per gallon.
      roughly constant speed of about 55- 60mph through the country lanes.

and that was on veg! if i was on diesel im sure to get another mpg or two!

Beat that!

even through the mountains (turbo pretty much constantly at 5-10psi) i got 430km to a tank
      if I want my surf to go anywhere my turbo runs pretty much flat out unless im going downhill
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

from dover to croydon i kept it almost flat out at 7-8psi at about 80mph. and 90 on the overtakes. it drunk 1/4 tank of fuel in no time
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i just did newbury-bracknell-torquay... then a week driving around torquay... torquay-bracknell-newbury-bracknell-sandhurst-bracknell-newbury...

the red light just turned on... just over 550miles

all with aircon running
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

If i drive on eggs, I have also seen 550 km. on 100% veg oil aswell. Will be going down to torquay from blairgowrie next month, 540 miles each way, am going to sit her at 60mph cos thats a long way and theyre not designed for speed, and we'll see what the economy is like. Im hoping for 28 - 30 mpg based on what i get already i can see it as achievable, as long as it dont rain or get windy.

By the way slip streaming lorries makes a massive difference to fuel in my truck.
            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

550 miles? you mean KM?
              it seemed that the first tankful i just got over 400km. but after that i dunno what happened but the economy shot right up. you can notice the power decrease with veg though.
              on one point, we filled up with 40 litres veg in chamonix, and the night temp was about 10 degrees. next morning car started then cut out. so i restarted and was fine until glow plugs stopped heating then it miss fired very badly. so idle up came on and it sounded like a train. chug.. chug,,. chugg.. so i just drove it slowly and it wouldnt accellerate hardly at all until temp needle was on the gauge.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Thats why i like the two tank system, illiminates that problem, and cos the oils then hot on delivery, no power loss, in fact an increase for mine. Then switch back to diesel for the night and off you go in the mornin, no chugging, just smooth running. That also ensures that the injectors get a good flush every night.
                Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

i never thought of it that way. you make a good point.
                  one thing i was thinking of whilst driving for that length of time, and up through the mountains is that a v8 conversion would have come in handy there. but then i just thought to myself why not just get a lexus v8 instead... but then i couldnt run veg
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    i just did newbury-bracknell-torquay... then a week driving around torquay... torquay-bracknell-newbury-bracknell-sandhurst-bracknell-newbury...

the red light just turned on... just over 550miles

all with aircon running
                    Hi Matt,

Sorry, but there is no way you've gone 550 miles on one tank (unless you've extended your tank) with a 2.4.

Thats 880kms on a normal tank. 16kms/ltr. errrr

Maybe you happened to get to 550 kms ??????
                    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 28 August 2007, 00:52.
                    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Running on a heavy Veg mix, I've just got my best ever mpg result.
                      26.44mpg
                      And this was going from Sinnington to Southampton (282 miles) fully loaded, towing the folding camper (which was also fully loaded).
                      Pretty good as her average usage since being imported is 21.04, I do believe that the Veg is having an effect (and not just in causing lumpy start ups).
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

On the 640 mile round trip to Wales at the weekend, my average mpg was 24, on a 75% veg mix, and that consisted of two long motorway runs (to and from Wales) and two days offroading, using 4WD low about half the time, so I'm quite pleased.............. ..........
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                          On the 640 mile round trip to Wales at the weekend, my average mpg was 24, on a 75% veg mix, and that consisted of two long motorway runs (to and from Wales) and two days offroading, using 4WD low about half the time, so I'm quite pleased.............. ..........
                          what am i doing wrong then - i'm only getting 20 mpg, mrs b reckons i drive like an old man too
                          Bunkle
                          Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
                            what am i doing wrong then - i'm only getting 20 mpg, mrs b reckons i drive like an old man too
                            I get 18-22 normally, which is mostly town driving, and on the motorway last w/end I kept her to about 60mph, and did the whole trip for about £90 in fuel cost.
                            Rob

Comment

I clocked mine recently, 900+km including the drive to skegness and back,with45ltrs veg oil, 23MPG. Not too dreadful.!!!!

But i get 30+mpg out of my 2.4TDi van.!!!
                              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X