Cr@p internet connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cr@p internet connection

Something gone a bit weird with our broadband.

A couple of days ago, it started being a bit flakey.

Lights on router all correct, but sometimes I cant get on to anything, or it takes a few goes to get into websites. Sometimes a page will partly load then just stop, and refresh just gets the old 'website not available' message. This can last 10 - 15 minutes, then it just comes back and works OK for a while.

Its not the PC as the laptop is exactly the same via wireless to the router. The PC is directly connected to the router so it's not the wireless part.

I did the speed test on http://www.speedtest.net/ and the speeds and ping were OK, but there was a big delay before the test started, then a big delay after the download test before the upload test.

Anyone any clues as to what is happening? I want to understand whats wrong before I get onto Orange's clueless 'tech help' phoneline.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

I had the same thing with my wireless router (Belkin 54) via tiscali BB.
    It is VERY frustrating!

All I could do is to reset the router by turnig it off for a minute, and then back on.

This went on for about a month, and then miraculasly cured itself.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
      I had the same thing with my wireless router (Belkin 54) via tiscali BB.
      It is VERY frustrating!

All I could do is to reset the router by turnig it off for a minute, and then back on.

This went on for about a month, and then miraculasly cured itself.
      Hmmm... ours is a Belkin 54g. I'll see if I can borrow something and swap it out...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
        Hmmm... ours is a Belkin 54g. I'll see if I can borrow something and swap it out...

AFAIK all belkin gear has a lifetime warrenty, but check the box (if you still have it)
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Just had a problem with a laptop at my dad's - wouldn't connect to Google, but connected to everything else....

Changed the DNS on the laptop to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 all works fine now....
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
            Just had a problem with a laptop at my dad's - wouldn't connect to Google, but connected to everything else....

Changed the DNS on the laptop to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 all works fine now....
            S'funny that. I can connect to google and some sites consistently, but navigating from google is patchy.

Hotmail and eBay are very poor.

Help!!!

Comment

I want to understand whats wrong before I get onto Orange's clueless 'tech help' phoneline.

The word Orange springs to mind, I know a few people who have come off Orange BB due to the same issues your having.. basically its cr@p !
              -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

S'funny that. I can connect to google and some sites consistently, but navigating from google is patchy.

Hotmail and eBay are very poor.

Help!!!

Try the DNS change and see what happens!

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                  Try the DNS change and see what happens!
                  Same problem with two PC's though?

Re Orange being no good. Been faultless and fast for 5 years. First problem we've had.

Comment

Orange BB was only launched last year wasnt it.. how have you had it for 5 years then ?

Comment

Orange bought Wanadoo, who had previously bought Freeserve. Been using it for years with hardly a problem ever since I kicked NTL into touch - now that WAS cr@p
                      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

This might help... you are not alone..

http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/

Comment

With regards to the belkin router I would go the the stauts page
                          (192.168.2.1) and check for firmware update as there are a lot of upgrades going taking place.

Pages not opeing correct missing pictures and text the best soultion is for a java update www.java.com cures most problems, Once done remove any other java updates in the add and remove programs as these are no longer needed and just taking up space.

Poor connection to Hotmail and ebay could be down to the server's (overload peak times 5pm till midnight, or maintance happening on the server that you are connected too (relaunch IE)

Comment

Lots of suggestions...

Firmware update. Surely this would only improve things which have ALWAYS been bad? Problems only appeared last few days.

Java Update? Had an automatic one on PC in home office a few days ago, but both PC and laptop displaying identical problem so not that. Anyway, the problem is pages not completing loading, or not loading at all. Not just missing bits.

Tried reloading IE. Makes no difference, and access to Hotmail and Ebay patchy at random times all day. Other sites that are normally fast are either randomly dead or slow.

Re. Max. Yep, we've been with them since the Freeserve days and they've always been trouble free. I appreciate that under Orange ownership, things may have got worse, but I am starting to suspect the router is a bit duff. I'll try setting factory defaults and setting it up again tomorrow.

Comment

Same problem with two PC's though?

Re Orange being no good. Been faultless and fast for 5 years. First problem we've had.
                              Yup - did it with dad's and his mates....

Comment

Working...
                              X