Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache
    Lots of suggestions...

Firmware update. Surely this would only improve things which have ALWAYS been bad? Problems only appeared last few days.

Java Update? Had an automatic one on PC in home office a few days ago, but both PC and laptop displaying identical problem so not that. Anyway, the problem is pages not completing loading, or not loading at all. Not just missing bits.

Tried reloading IE. Makes no difference, and access to Hotmail and Ebay patchy at random times all day. Other sites that are normally fast are either randomly dead or slow.

Re. Max. Yep, we've been with them since the Freeserve days and they've always been trouble free. I appreciate that under Orange ownership, things may have got worse, but I am starting to suspect the router is a bit duff. I'll try setting factory defaults and setting it up again tomorrow.

Firmware updates are there to cure problems with routers it may be that there is a update too cure the problem you dont know till you try.

Regards to the pages not completely loading then in IE on the task bar on the left do you get a message says error done but errors on page??

Hotmail is having problems now anyway as changing from hotmail to windows live
    Ebay is also have a make over too as you may of seen and it like anything new there is teething problems.

Comment

i help to run a couple of gameservers (counterstrike....coffin-dodgers clan ) and this has been a massive issue with all our members using wireless routers (packet loss makes the game unplayable) the simple solution most of our members found worked was to simply wire their routers (those that had ethernet ports)

Comment

Originally posted by wasp132
        i help to run a couple of gameservers (counterstrike....coffin-dodgers clan ) and this has been a massive issue with all our members using wireless routers (packet loss makes the game unplayable) the simple solution most of our members found worked was to simply wire their routers (those that had ethernet ports)
        As I said earlier in the thread, one of the PCs is hardwired but displays the same problems.

Seems OK this morning (and the router gets left on). I'll see how it goes today.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Belkin stuff is not to good you would be much better of with a linksys or netgear...i have had them in the past and am using one temp at the moment... they seem to crash alot and. Have you tried to clear the security log ? some times this can help, or i just usually restore factory settings.
          Edit......
          Also have you cleared your browser cache/cookies etc... ? and checked for spyware and run A/V scan. and have you tried a dfferent browser ?
          about the java, i would also delete temp files in java control panel
          Last edited by evil_jesus; 20 August 2007, 15:10.

Comment

Router or actual broadband connection. They're the only common points, and you have the problem across multiple machines. Knowing the Belkin kit, I'd change that anyhow, even if it's not the cause of the problem. One less item to bite you in the arse at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              Router or actual broadband connection. They're the only common points, and you have the problem across multiple machines. Knowing the Belkin kit, I'd change that anyhow, even if it's not the cause of the problem. One less item to bite you in the arse at some point.
              Seems fine today, so I'm inclined to agree Matt.

If it starts playing up again, I'll borrow another router and try that. Dont really want to 'knee jerk' and change provider just yet as they've been 100% good for five years.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I'm with orange also and i haven't had any problems with the connection here and i have got the live box and 3 computers connected thru it
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

One other thing to consider is the fact that it could simply be good old BT knacking things up at/from the exchange. I'd give it a few days to see if it improves if I were you. Also, check Orange's site to see if they have any tech tickets issued for your area. They may be working on a known problem.

Comment

Ive had BT out today as i was getting alot of Static Noise on the phones. Theyve replaced the wire outside cause it was knackered & fitted a new Box.
                    Its alot better now.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      One other thing to consider is the fact that it could simply be good old BT knacking things up at/from the exchange.
                      Apparently Talk Talk have just installed their own servers so they dont route through BT's exchanges and the connection speeds are what you ask for unlike what you get when you route through BT.
                      -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                        Something gone a bit weird with our broadband.

A couple of days ago, it started being a bit flakey.

Lights on router all correct, but sometimes I cant get on to anything, or it takes a few goes to get into websites. Sometimes a page will partly load then just stop, and refresh just gets the old 'website not available' message. This can last 10 - 15 minutes, then it just comes back and works OK for a while.

Its not the PC as the laptop is exactly the same via wireless to the router. The PC is directly connected to the router so it's not the wireless part.

I did the speed test on http://www.speedtest.net/ and the speeds and ping were OK, but there was a big delay before the test started, then a big delay after the download test before the upload test.

Anyone any clues as to what is happening? I want to understand whats wrong before I get onto Orange's clueless 'tech help' phoneline.
                        i get this a lot at home with blueyonder/virgin. i have come to the conclusion that somone is downloading a lot of stuff and stopping us having our service. virgin tell us nothing is wrong with our service - even though i get timeout after timeout. lately its just been happening for a few minutes but if it happens for a whole weekend like it used to then im calling the free number and not the 25p per min, and im ending the service.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                        X