@Fatfires and/or ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Fatfires and/or ...

any other Firefighters or saftey officer types .
    I want to kit out our new house with some fire extinguishers in the event of the worse . Had a fire blanket and extinguisher for kitchen in old house but need alot more for the new place . Wot type for lounge and bedrooms would be best ? There is too many different ones from water to CO2 .
    They will be out of site but easy to get at.
    Any advise?
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

For the class of fire you would expect in a dwelling, plain old water is fine. Kitchen would warrant a fire blanket and you could go for foam or dry powder in there too.
    Garage , where you might store paint, oils, even petrol, Foam would be good

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
      For the class of fire you would expect in a dwelling, plain old water is fine. Kitchen would warrant a fire blanket and you could go for foam or dry powder in there too.
      Garage , where you might store paint, oils, even petrol, Foam would be good

Bogus
      Garage I got a big foam jobby , kitchen has the blanket and dry powder .

Comment

I reckon you have it covered then. Plain old water is fine everywhere else. Rest of the house is basically what is known as class A materials, paper, wood, cloth, solid type stuff. If you cant put a fire out with a gallon or two of water its time for a quick exit

Bogud
        Сви можемо

Comment

Cheers
          I'll invest in some water ones then. Better safe then sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
            any other Firefighters or saftey officer types .
            I want to kit out our new house with some fire extinguishers in the event of the worse . Had a fire blanket and extinguisher for kitchen in old house but need alot more for the new place . Wot type for lounge and bedrooms would be best ? There is too many different ones from water to CO2 .
            They will be out of site but easy to get at.
            Any advise?
            Yep
            latest reccomendation is to have sprinklers fitted but being realistic if you have not been trained in fighting fires then
            1 get out
            2 call the fire service out
            3 stay out
            I am fully aware that fire can cause a lot of misery, but not as much if you were to get burned or worse, material things can be replaced, you can't
            I know that sounds a bit glib but unless you are in the same room when the fire starts and you have the correct extinguisher to hand and you know how to use it - forget it. You need good warning so a smoke alarm in every room if you are that concerned. Formulate an escape plan and ensure everybody knows it, remember where your keys are, get a fire proof document case for all your important papers and keep it closed
            good housekeeping, if you smoke be aware of where your dog ends go, make sure your electrics are up to standard with trips on the fuseboard and avoid adaptors like the plague.
            if you are out in the sticks be able to give your grid ref to the emergency services and if you have called them be ready to attract their attention as they approach. time saved is vital, most fire services will carry out a (free)home safety check for you.
            Remember firefighters wear safety equipment for good reason - you havn't got any! all houses have in them stuff that could need any one of the many extinguishers availlable and bet your bottom dollar the one you need would not be to hand!
            Proactive is better than reactive, avoid the causes and you won't need to react with anything
            I could go on for hours just talking generalities and possibly getting you all confused, if you want a chat about specifics or you do have concernes PM me your land line number and I will give you a bell to try to aleviate your fears
            Rick, I would be suprised if you need any fire extinguishers.
            The biggest cause of fire.........human beings - their stupidity and failings
            lecture mode off
            same goes for all, any advice, be glad to, give me a PM
            look forward to hearing from you Rick
            Last edited by fatfires; 29 July 2007, 21:54.
            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
              Yep
              latest reccomendation is to have sprinklers fitted but being realistic if you have not been trained in fighting fires then
              1 get out
              2 call the fire service out
              3 stay out
              I am fully aware that fire can cause a lot of misery, but not as much if you were to get burned or worse, material things can be replaced, you can't
              I know that sounds a bit glib but unless you are in the same room when the fire starts and you have the correct extinguisher to hand and you know how to use it - forget it. You need good warning so a smoke alarm in every room if you are that concerned. Formulate an escape plan and ensure everybody knows it, remember where your keys are, get a fire proof document case for all your important papers and keep it closed
              good housekeeping, if you smoke be aware of where your dog ends go, make sure your electrics are up to standard with trips on the fuseboard and avoid adaptors like the plague.
              if you are out in the sticks be able to give your grid ref to the emergency services and if you have called them be ready to attract their attention as they approach. time saved is vital, most fire services will carry out a (free)home safety check for you.
              Remember firefighters wear safety equipment for good reason - you havn't got any! all houses have in them stuff that could need any one of the many extinguishers availlable and bet your bottom dollar the one you need would not be to hand!
              Proactive is better than reactive, avoid the causes and you won't need to react with anything
              I could go on for hours just talking generalities and possibly getting you all confused, if you want a chat about specifics or you do have concernes PM me your land line number and I will give you a bell to try to aleviate your fears
              The biggest cause of fire.........human beings - their stupidity and failings
              lecture mode off
              same goes for all, any advice, be glad to, give me a PM
              We ot 4 hard wirred smoke detectors fitted with battery back up. I just want something to hand just in case . Dont smoke , but fart alot .
              Going to change some of the circuit breakers as incorrect for the circuits fitted to !
              We are a little remote down a lane with only 1 (strange) neighbour near us.
              Thanks for advise.
              Last edited by Vagrant No2; 29 July 2007, 22:03.

Comment

We ot 4 hard wirred smoke detectors fitted with battery back up. I just want something to hand just in case . Dont smoke , but fart alot .
                Going to change some of the circuit beakers as incorrect for the circuits fitted to !
                Thanks for advise.
                Are you sure it's the neighbour thats strange and not you Rick Glad your settling in ok
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                  Are you sure it's the neighbour thats strange and not you Rick Glad your settling in ok

Comment

Going to change some of the circuit beakers as incorrect for the circuits fitted to !
                    Thanks for advise.
                    rick
                    farts are fine just don't light them! as you are a bit remote your local firefighters are probably retained, find out where the station is give them a visit and have a chat on their drill night (ensure they know where you are) you could even think about joining up - age and fittness dependant (bit of extra dough as well!) Oh yes and make sure your house name or number is clearly visible
                    dont forget my offer!
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                      rick
                      farts are fine just don't light them! as you are a bit remote your local firefighters are probably retained, find out where the station is give them a visit and have a chat on their drill night (ensure they know where you are) you could even think about joining up - age and fittness dependant (bit of extra dough as well!) Oh yes and make sure your house name or number is clearly visible
                      dont forget my offer!
                      Cheers Tony
                      The Fire brigade are 4 mins up road and are a full time set up . They got an open day in 2 weeks , went to 1 in Southport when on hols before and very imformative .
                      I put a new light above the house name and number on Friday.
                      As for being a fireman I dont like heights so unless they want roofs cut off cars all the time I wont be much good .

Comment

Cheers Tony
                        The Fire brigade are 4 mins up road and are a full time set up . They got an open day in 2 weeks , went to 1 in Southport when on hols before and very imformative .
                        As for being a fireman I dont like heights so unless they want roofs cut off cars all the time I wont be much good .

Hey rick ........would you back stand up to doing the firemans lifts
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Go for a co2 they dont cause a mess when used and they are safe on electrics and you cant use water on chip pan fires i no you said you have a fire blanket but when in a panic it is all to easy to forget.do not use dry powder indoors you wont be able to breath and you will ruin everything
                          Last edited by kiowa; 30 July 2007, 00:08.
                          I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

i wouldn't go for water... they're huge, and in 99.9% of cases are only used as doorstops!

powder is horrible if you breath it in!... but you get a lot in a small can!
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Cheers Tony
                              You can also get them round to do a FIRE SAFETY inspection, They will also give you Recommendations & info
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X