aftermarket steering wheel not self cancelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket steering wheel not self cancelling

i posted ages ago regarding my new steering wheel, and i looked at it propperly these last 2 days.
    after sussing that the indicator cancelling mechanism is still there just not engaged by the new boss i thought about how i could get it to be pressed down into the correct position whilst the steering wheel was on, and still get the steering wheel to turn it to turn off the indicators.
    so last night we got some old coolant hose that happened to be just the right size, and cut it to about 1cm. this was way too thick and although i had my indicators back, there was some resistance in the steering wheel, and if i didnt have my indicators on and went lock to lock, you could hear and see the rubber just touching the indicator arm and moving it slightly.
    so after trimming it off, trying it again, then trimming it off some more and getting it just right by this point there was enough force pressing down between the boss and the mechanism to grip the rubber piece of hose (thats now about 5mm thick)
    i felt beaten by it. and was going to try something else. but, if i can super glue the coolant hose to the boss, then bolt it down in the correct place im hoping the cut-outs we made in the hose will be strong enough to grip the mechanism and work as it should!
    i remember niftynev saying about how he done his, but at the time i couldnt picture it.
    nev is what ive described different to yours?
    my mechanism is sprung so that when the steering wheel is off its not never going to work unless its pushed all the way in place. so this is why the new steering wheel does not make use of it, its simply not deep enough by about 5mm
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Sorry mate I don't remember when that was (oldtimers disease) but did help someone recently on another Aussie 4WD site and suggested he re-cut a slot in his boss to get it working. This is what I did to mine to get the indicators to switch off at the right time. He, I think, decided to redrill the two holes for the plastic pins on the mechanism so they again align. This is done at 180 deg to the original boss holes. The resistance you feel is because of the hose you have in there and this is because the mechanism should spring back into the boss locating holes so may cause damage if not able to do this. Is this what I explained to you at the time. If not have you got a link to the old post so I can have a look?

Nev

Comment

cheers, http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ighlight=wheel
      i was known as tonyppe then..

my boss already has the holes cut in to match the mechanism. but its not long enough to make the notch on the mechanism touch the main part of it. the rubber hose pushed the sprung loaded mechanism back to where it should be.
      may be i should just buy a new boss...
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Here's the other discussion I mentioned on an Aussie site.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2...highlight=boss

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
          cheers, http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ighlight=wheel
          i was known as tonyppe then.
          Now I remember.

Nev

Comment

cheers. my probs different though as for the indicators to be turned off, the sprung loaded thingy has to be fully seated. if the wheel is off and you turn the mech with your fingers it wont turn off the indicators unless you push it down/in.

ill keep this posted if i manage to superglue the hose to the boss to extend the boss.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

How do you turn the indicators on?
              Couldn't you just use the same method to turn them of?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                my boss already has the holes cut in to match the mechanism. but its not long enough to make the notch on the mechanism touch the main part of it. the rubber hose pushed the sprung loaded mechanism back to where it should be.

Now I understand.

Nev

Comment

Use a sterring wheel off a Celica if you dont like the Surf one.. and they make your indicators self cancel..
                  -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    How do you turn the indicators on?
                    Couldn't you just use the same method to turn them of?
                    yeah but thats too easy!
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                    X