Oil Catch Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Catch Tank

Fitted a factory oil catch tank from a Jap. nissan Pulsar / Sunny (Fitted to sports models, GTIR, Ect) and used some heater hose I had lying around to hook it up at the weekend . I preffered this to the Aluminum accessory types as it looks like it was factory fitted.

The reason for fitting is my intake pipes were filled with oil and I was seeing a puff of blue smoke when coming off the throttle and back on again (Dont like Blue smoke!)

So, I am now smoke free all the time The Acetone trick (Search Acetone Diesel) fixed any black smoke I had, Now the blue is gone as well

I dont get any smoke anyway... only thing I've done is the EGR mod.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      I dont get any smoke anyway... only thing I've done is the EGR mod.
      Join the club.

Comment

I read somewhere on the Aussie site that the diameter of the pipe and connection on the catch can needs to be no smaller than the existing breather pipe.

If it is it will shaft your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet
          I read somewhere on the Aussie site that the diameter of the pipe and connection on the catch can needs to be no smaller than the existing breather pipe.

If it is it will shaft your engine.
          Correct. Around 15mm, I believe. One connector has a slightly larger diameter than the other.

Comment

is this because if its too small the engine cannot breather sufficiently?
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
              is this because if its too small the engine cannot breather sufficiently?
              Yup. Too small a diameter and the back pressure builds up. Can't remember exactly what it can damage, but it ain't nice. There's a big warning thread on the OZ site somewhere about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Yup. Too small a diameter and the back pressure builds up. Can't remember exactly what it can damage, but it ain't nice. There's a big warning thread on the OZ site somewhere about it.
                At least it will blow seals, gaskets etc & cause loads of oil leaks, I suppose the oil control rings will not like the extra load as well
                Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ight=oil+catch

Comment

That's the one.

Comment

godammit! i better check my K&N style breather filter
                      i'll have to work out if there is the same or less resistance in that filter compared with standard piping
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Don't you just love it when you do something and someone comes along and spoils it for you?

Comment

as the breather pipe is conected to the air intake the crankcase gas must be sucked out to some extent, or so i would imagine so wouldn,t there be a lot more resistance with a breather filter?

Comment

Originally posted by jamsironwork
                            as the breather pipe is conected to the air intake the crankcase gas must be sucked out to some extent, or so i would imagine so wouldn,t there be a lot more resistance with a breather filter?
                            The only reason it's connected to the intake is because in most countries it's illegal to vent directly into the atmosphere, hence the recirculation.

(Christ, I've become one of those sad anorak type geeks, ain't I).

Comment

Well ditto tonyppe!! i aint fitted a catch can yet but i did have to replumb the hose to the inlet and i used 1/4" silicon and 10mm microbore connectors, better rework that in heater hose then, cheers
                              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                              X