Auto gearbox oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto gearbox oil cooler

Hi all , a question. When I bought my 3 rd gen 3.0 TD Surf I asked about towing with the auto box as when I had an automatic Granada I had to have an extra oil cooler fitted to the autobox for towing. I was told that the Surf already has an oil cooler fitted as standard. Is this correct?. if not should I need an extra oil cooler to stop the box being damaged. I tow a twin axle caravan with an all up weight just over the ton and use it all the year round. Are there any points I should be aware of when towing with the Surf as not yet had the opportuinty to hitch up and try it out.
    Malcolm
    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

My 2.4 pulls my bailey ranger 510/4 1200kgs loaded with no problems no overheating or dramatic noises
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Malenibo
      Hi all , a question. When I bought my 3 rd gen 3.0 TD Surf I asked about towing with the auto box as when I had an automatic Granada I had to have an extra oil cooler fitted to the autobox for towing. I was told that the Surf already has an oil cooler fitted as standard. Is this correct?. if not should I need an extra oil cooler to stop the box being damaged. I tow a twin axle caravan with an all up weight just over the ton and use it all the year round. Are there any points I should be aware of when towing with the Surf as not yet had the opportuinty to hitch up and try it out.
      Malcolm
      it does have an oil cooler but only in the bottom of the rad, you can buy i kit to fit one with a small rad if you think it necessary
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by Malenibo
        Malcolm
        This is an idea posted by someone on our Aussie site in response to overheating with the 3 litre Auto Surfs.

Replace auto radiator with the one from a manual and install an independant transmission cooler.

Something to do with the pipes for Auto restricting coolant flow through bottom hose.Wonder if this applies to 2.4 Autos?

I have a Manual so can't check this myself but may be worth a bit more investigation by Auto owners.

Nevile

Comment

I tow a swift conqueror 580 (1600kg all in) and our '94 3.0ltr tows it no probs. Not even a shift a water temp. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're gonna climb alot of hills etc whilst towing.
          Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

I'm Planning to tow about a 1500kg caravan around europe (mountains etc)With my 3.0 auto td & have bought a tranny cooler from demon tweeks. I havn't fitted It yet but I'm told It is relativley easy They can be plumbed in to the existing fluid line, cant remember if it's before or after the rad, and It looks like It can just shoehorn in by the bumper and bottom of rad! It's well documented on the USA 4-runner forum although they have mounted the cooler in a different place( Under the sump guard plate parallel to the ground!!!) . I'll let you know how It goes when Iv'e done it!!
            Neil
            www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

When I picked up my 3litre Turbo I/C from the gearbox rebuilders last week, I asked the head honcho about fitting one. He said that a big engine with all that power should never need one.
              John
              http://members.dodo.com.au/burston/drinkofbeer.gifA pint of lunatic soup please!

Comment

I also tow a heavy caravan 1400kg plus whatever I put in it. My Surf is a 2.4 auto 1991 and it tows it very well. Surfs are noted for running hot under the bonnet and the transmission tunnel can get rather warm. I fitted an ATF cooler last year as the last thing you want is to goose the gearbox. The difference in running temperature is obvious. The transmission tunnel remains cool which can only be good. The extra radiator fits just in front if the existing radiator on the left hand side looking from the front.

Keith

Comment

All Autos run a small cooler though the bottom of the rad, heat is the only thing that will normally kill an auto. Definatly a wise investment. I cooked 2 Borg Warner autos in my pickup (with a aftermarket cooler and manual radiator), by running 35" tyres and a V8 each end of the slushbox. Bigger cooler cured it. Yank forums have mutterings about newer Toy autos and high milage heavy towing woes.

I'd run one in line with the standard one, and have piece of mind. You could fit a tranny temp guage, before buying a cooler, then you can tell if you need one.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Trans temp isn't the problem!

The trans seem to cope okay, but the oil cooler plumbing severely restricts the water out of the bottom of the radiator on some models. Don't trust the water temp gauge too much, they're notorious. Best option is a rad from a manual truck, and an aftermarket oil cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzz67
                      The trans seem to cope okay, but the oil cooler plumbing severely restricts the water out of the bottom of the radiator on some models. Don't trust the water temp gauge too much, they're notorious. Best option is a rad from a manual truck, and an aftermarket oil cooler.
                      wouldn't it be best to use the standard rad AND an aftermarket one?
                      nowt wrong with the one you got, just want a bit more cooling for peace of mind.
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Muzz67
                        Not sure i understand the significance of the manual rad. surely if the auto rad has a sealed pipe running throught the bottom of the rad that dosen't interfere with the water flow (just exchanges heat) then an additional cooler matrix plumbed in series shouldn't affect water flow. It may have a small adverse effect on water temp if plumbed in the wrong way (cant remember if before or after rad) but should be fine!

Or am i missing something, I am a bit Tired!! or

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
                          Not sure i understand the significance of the manual rad. surely if the auto rad has a sealed pipe running throught the bottom of the rad that dosen't interfere with the water flow (just exchanges heat) then an additional cooler matrix plumbed in series shouldn't affect water flow. It may have a small adverse effect on water temp if plumbed in the wrong way (cant remember if before or after rad) but should be fine!

Or am i missing something, I am a bit Tired!! or

Neil
                          With the use of a rad from a manual Surf you will have a slightly increased cooling water capacity due to single core , therefore a second benefit . I can see your concerns as towing in Europe with some of the inclines and mountains could increase the 'box temp .
                          My opinion , fit a separate after market auto cooler rad designed kit , autobox temp gauge and a recon manual rad .
                          Fit the auto box rad in front or side of cooling system rad if poss , not behind as this would be useless .
                          Then drive with no worries . Increased cooling capacity and a dedicated autobox cooling rad .
                          Happy towing

Rick
                          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                            With the use of a rad from a manual Surf you will have a slightly increased cooling water capacity due to single core , therefore a second benefit . I can see your concerns as towing in Europe with some of the inclines and mountains could increase the 'box temp .
                            My opinion , fit a separate after market auto cooler rad designed kit , autobox temp gauge and a recon manual rad .
                            Fit the auto box rad in front or side of cooling system rad if poss , not behind as this would be useless .
                            Then drive with no worries . Increased cooling capacity and a dedicated autobox cooling rad .
                            Happy towing

Rick
                            Yeah!!

Now that makes sense! Might get a manual rad if i need replacement' as i mentioned in another post. i have had the rad repaired a few months ago as it had a couple of pinholes! Thanks rick

Neil

Comment

RE Manual radiator

Next time you have the bottom hose off on your auto 3.0 Surf, stick your fingers into the rad and youll understand why you should fit a manual rad if you intend heavy towing etc. On some models the outlet is severly resticted by the cooler pipes.

Comment

Working...
                              X