intercooled realy worth the extra dosh?? no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IIIrd
    do you need to do anything with the ecu , like having it chipped as i read somewhere that this can make the fuel air mix a bit lean?
    or am i completely wrong?

No need to adjust anything, the sensors work it all out automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Excellent, that answers the question for me too

Cheers, Nick
      "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

You only have a air temp sensor in the intake side. The rest of the EFI is on the fuel side, and that doesn't know how much air your putting in. And only a O2 sensor in the exhaust will tell the ECU if the truck is running lean or rich, which you also don't have.

Just fitting an intercooler leans out the mixture so it burns better, and hotter, giving you more power per piston charge, that why the truck feels quicker for the same throttle position.

Lean dosn't matter apparently on deisels, but you won't get as many gains as altering the fueling to match the intercooler suppling more air.

In an ideal world you want uprated injectors, then something like a Bobbox so you can tune the fuel pump to supply more fuel. Then you can up the fuel supply till it starts to smoke under load (overfueling) then when you fit a intercooler, you'll find you can increase the fuel even more before it starts overfuel again.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

[quote=ian619]
          Originally posted by TonyN
          I'd rather debate how we can improve your english so the posts so arn't painfull to read!

Ahahah top reply that,

Re the intercooler i dont really give a f**k if it works or not, i enjoy fiddleing with stuff like thak and "intercooler turbo" on the badge sounds the nuts,
          need i say more , am talking about the one that comes with the truck and the silly price with it and your reply is even beter

Comment

[QUOTE=mrsurf]
            Originally posted by ian619
            need i say more , am talking about the one that comes with the truck and the silly price with it and your reply is even beter
            How much is the silly price that comes with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
              How much extra do people pay for intercooled ones then? A few hundred or silly money?
              at last some one that understands my point there all going on about fiting there own yes that way its going to be worth it ` but am talking about the silly money that you would have to pay for one already fitted to the surf , they are a lot dearer to buy and some blokes pay all the extra cash and then say i cant tel any diferance and most would be right ,
              Last edited by mrsurf; 30 May 2007, 11:52.

Comment

looked on autotader you can get gen 3 1996 from £3600 + ,
                intercooler was about £5000 +
                so yes i suppose you do end up paying a lot more,
                if i was after a 3rd gen and the intercooler was a couple of hundred more i'd be tempted but wouldnt pay to much over the top

or would i
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

i sold one even cheaper the other wk it was a one off` got it extremly cheap so i passed my good fortune on
                  Last edited by mrsurf; 30 May 2007, 12:29.

Comment

thanks joker again some one understands exactly what am talking about only last wk some guy was teling me he would pay 2 grand more for a intercooled one and this has been the trend for a very long time no mater what i say `its no no i want the intercooled one most of them dont know why and because they are harder to find than standerd ones they then think the intercooled is going to be super duper fast and so on` and in plain words its a load of bolocks and any body that has paid a grand or two more for one worth is sallt would tel you exactly the same ` and as a dealer i have had them ring me back after a wk saying could i change it for the non cooled one so there you go`

Comment

Two grand? If you wanted to go fast(ish), you could buy a 3.4 petrol for the same as a non-cooled TD and either spend less than 2 grand extra on petrol over the life of it or spend 2 grand on getting it gassed and make all the money back on fuel.

No-one's going to go fast in a (standard) Surf.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                        Two grand? If you wanted to go fast(ish), you could buy a 3.4 petrol for the same as a non-cooled TD and either spend less than 2 grand extra on petrol over the life of it or spend 2 grand on getting it gassed and make all the money back on fuel.

No-one's going to go fast in a (standard) Surf.
                        I'd pay up to £1K more for an intercooler 3rd gen, if you add up the price of a proper intercooler kit its almost that, and you don't have any messing around fitting it.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo

And yes, what would a forum be without opinions!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          a lecture?

Comment

ok, i've trawled all the way through this thread and am still none the wiser......what i want to know is which is the best intercooler to top-mount with the least amount of hassle? basically all i want to do is fit a mounting bracket and 2 hoses (is a fan really necessary?)

Comment

You need a decent SCOOP front facing.
                              Mine comes as standard so i dont know anymore on the MOD side.
                              Attached Files
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                              (")_(")

Comment

More info here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/se...earchid=447422
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                                (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                                X