American insurance (NOT SPAM!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American insurance (NOT SPAM!)

How does car insurance work in america??? When the top gear lads drove half way across they must have been insured!! But obviously they had no address as such in america which is a requirement here! (at least i think)

I'd love to import a truck over to here! Ive found a company that can ship from new york to southampton for £700! but id love to pick it up in say vegas or san francisco an then drive it to new york!

My uncle was telling me he had always dreamed of doing what he called "sea to shining sea" Basically a road trip from one side of america to the other!

I shared the exact same dream before he mentioned it to me! and id love to bring home the truck it was done it!

Soooo.....to round it up in a sentance!
    what is required to get car insurance in america for a vistor to the country??

bit long winded wasnt it!

same as driving in europe i guess?
    you just insure the car here with cover for US driving?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
      How does car insurance work in america??? When the top gear lads drove half way across they must have been insured!! But obviously they had no address as such in america which is a requirement here! (at least i think)

I'd love to import a truck over to here! Ive found a company that can ship from new york to southampton for £700! but id love to pick it up in say vegas or san francisco an then drive it to new york!

My uncle was telling me he had always dreamed of doing what he called "sea to shining sea" Basically a road trip from one side of america to the other!

I shared the exact same dream before he mentioned it to me! and id love to bring home the truck it was done it!

Soooo.....to round it up in a sentance!
      what is required to get car insurance in america for a vistor to the country??

bit long winded wasnt it!
      Covered on the BBC's mega insurance policy and got a green card to drive abroad?
      -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
        same as driving in europe i guess?
        you just insure the car here with cover for US driving?

Yeah i guess that would work! Only problem is i guess i would have to buy the truck before i go out there really rather then choose it out there

Comment

I think that in the US, Australia, New Zealand and some others, compulsory insurance is included in the annual licence/tax/registration. You can certainly drive anyone's car in Australia or New Zealand without your own insurance; primarily to drive your very inebriated boss and his jag home in my experience.
          Last edited by Sancho; 22 March 2007, 01:33.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
            Yeah i guess that would work! Only problem is i guess i would have to buy the truck before i go out there really rather then choose it out there
            Or phone back to the UK or buy your insurance online once you chosen?
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
              I think that in the US, Australia, New Zealand and some others, compulsory insurance is included in the annual licence/tax/registration. You can certainly drive anyone's car in Australia or New Zealand without your own insurance; primarily to drive you very inebriated boss and his jag home in my experience.

ahh!! ...well on a plus side you got to drive a jag!

Comment

Originally posted by nero279

yeah good point!!

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                  i'd go for that option... a couple for quid for a phone call, get them to fax a cover note to US... just in case...

then at least you won't have a nasty surprise when you try to insure the extortionate truck you've bought

Comment

i'd go for that option... a couple for quid for a phone call, get them to fax a cover note to US... just in case...

then at least you won't have a nasty surprise when you try to insure the extortionate truck you've bought
                    and i'll go with the flow
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Sounds brilliant! I've driven in bits of the USA, and done some fairly long trips - Grand Canyon down to Yuma (AZ/CA/Mex border), Yuma to LA, loads in NM, loads in TX, loads in AZ, drove NYC to Boston. Driven down a bit of route 66 through Albuquerque (though most of it is now the I-40)

I'd LOVE to do a coast to coast trip. That would be awesome but would take a fair while. I reckon over a month if you want to soak up the sights and vibes on the way. Fuel is cheap though, as are stuff like Motel 6, Days Inn, Super 8 etc. Food is dirt cheap too, and if you stay south until TX and then go up, loads of great mexi food too!

I envy you if you do it!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                        Sounds brilliant! I've driven in bits of the USA, and done some fairly long trips - Grand Canyon down to Yuma (AZ/CA/Mex border), Yuma to LA, loads in NM, loads in TX, loads in AZ, drove NYC to Boston. Driven down a bit of route 66 through Albuquerque (though most of it is now the I-40)

I'd LOVE to do a coast to coast trip. That would be awesome but would take a fair while. I reckon over a month if you want to soak up the sights and vibes on the way. Fuel is cheap though, as are stuff like Motel 6, Days Inn, Super 8 etc. Food is dirt cheap too, and if you stay south until TX and then go up, loads of great mexi food too!

I envy you if you do it!

My uncle had a plan written out that he made up a few years ago that he would do if he ever did the trip!
                        His plans show its possible to do it in 3 weeks at a bit of a rush several hundred miles a day but i would prefer stay longer and take in the sights!!
                        Id love to go to the gibson guitar museum in TX!

The trip wouldnt be for a little while yet but its on my list of "things i must do"

Comment

how far is it?

Comment

how far is it?
                            honestly dont know!!
                            Last edited by RodLeach; 22 March 2007, 01:23.

Comment

how far is it?

Total Est. Time: 41 hours, 31 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 2795.58 miles
                              There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Working...
                              X