Brighter lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brighter lights

Just made up an upgrade loom for my headlights, wow what a difference I can now see where i'm going at night, I'd recommend this mod to anyone.
    If it aint broke dont fix it

got my loom from here

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...taOnlyProducts

and also put brighter candles in too from e-bay
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

gary what did you upgrade? power to the relay, relay to lights and lights to earth? and i assume power comes from one of the fuse boxes to the relay? Did you have to do anything the other side of the fuse box?

i've been thinking about doing it for a while now.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
        gary what did you upgrade? power to the relay, relay to lights and lights to earth? and i assume power comes from one of the fuse boxes to the relay? Did you have to do anything the other side of the fuse box?

i've been thinking about doing it for a while now.
        See the attachment for circuit, what you have to take into account is the fact that the origional headlight wiring is negative switching with a common live, so for it to work correctly the relays have to be connected as in the attachment
        Last edited by Wild Thing; 18 March 2007, 19:57.

Comment

Originally posted by pops
          got my loom from here

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...taOnlyProducts

and also put brighter candles in too from e-bay
          Made it up myself, including Fuse box, relays and wire cost me £10

Comment

so you replaced all the relays and fuses and literally the whole loom bar the switch?
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

so you replaced all the relays and fuses and literally the whole loom bar the switch?
              No if you look at the pic you'll see that the relays are wired to the original headlight plugs that go on the bulbs

Comment

oh bugger yeah, i was looking at the diagram the wrong way round, seeing the headlight plugs as the switch, it makes a bit more sense now!

I might have some more questions for ya later in the week, I'll have a look at the loom on the truck and see if that helps me to understand a bit more, normally i'm ok with electrics and diagrams but i'm confused.

It'll click and suddenly all become clear when i look at what's already there.

Thankyou
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

oh bugger yeah, i was looking at the diagram the wrong way round, seeing the headlight plugs as the switch, it makes a bit more sense now!

I might have some more questions for ya later in the week, I'll have a look at the loom on the truck and see if that helps me to understand a bit more, normally i'm ok with electrics and diagrams but i'm confused.

It'll click and suddenly all become clear when i look at what's already there.

Thankyou
                  You only need to use the original wiring from one of the headlight plugs, these 3 wires trigger the relays, one for high beam and one for low beam, the rest of the wiring is heavy duty, power goes from the battery to the relays, when either relay is triggered depending if high or low beam, power then goes to the fuse box, where the high and low beams are individually fused to each of the new headlight plugs, the common of each of the new headlight plugs go to earth/body.
                  I got the new headlight wires and relays from the Sc rapyard, just looked around for a car with heavy wires to the headlights then cut them off with as much wire as possible.

Comment

Why not use existing lights feeds as drives for relays, then power lights via those relays from left and right batteries. Very short cables = very low loss due to cable resistance. Just fit inline fuses for the lights to protect against any muppetry.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      Why not use existing lights feeds as drives for relays, then power lights via those relays from left and right batteries. Very short cables = very low loss due to cable resistance. Just fit inline fuses for the lights to protect against any muppetry.
                      I quite like that idea and if it looks like a lot more work than what it's worth to do it properly through the fusebox and original relays i'll go that method i think i'll have a look this week i'll understand it better with it live and a tester in me hands to see what's what.

Would the original relays be upto taking 130/90w bulbs?
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

I'm sure this has all been done before -
                        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ded+headlights

Is the set up you guys are on about similar to the above?
                        NO WORRIES!
                        Rusty

Comment

I did a loom upgrade a while ago
                          Very complex and took a while to fit but that is how i usually design and fab my stuff.
                          Very worth while.

Slightly off-topic Good to see you are still around Rusty, I was thinking the other day that we had not heard a lot from you for a while.
                          Simon.O.
                          '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

(apologies for the hijack) - I'm still about, stay in contact will Jotto a lot, mainly gas on the phone. am going to post a "I still here..." thread in a minute
                            (am currently on duty in Ambulance Control in Staffordsire & it's snowing heavily - bl**dy indecisive British weather!!)

Is the loom similar to what Andy had built 2 years ago? if I recall he was looking at charging around £40 for it...
                            NO WORRIES!
                            Rusty

Comment

I quite like that idea and if it looks like a lot more work than what it's worth to do it properly through the fusebox and original relays i'll go that method i think i'll have a look this week i'll understand it better with it live and a tester in me hands to see what's what.

Would the original relays be upto taking 130/90w bulbs?
                              If you do it the way Apache suggested, it don't matter what the existing wire can cope with. You'll only be using it to switch the new relays.

Comment

Working...
                              X