Referendum Petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referendum Petition

In view of the fact that our lovely government appear to be prepared to ignore the 1.7 million people who voted on the road pricing petition there is a new petition raised to

"Make it legally binding on the government to hold a national referendum on any e-petition that accumulates 100,000 or more signatures. The result of that referendum to be binding on the government. It is unacceptable in a country that calls itself a democracy that the government can ignore the will of the people stated through one of the few channels available to them. Rule by the people means the government serves the people by doing what they are asked to do by the majority. What we seem to have is a situation where once elected, the government has a blank cheque until the next election. That has now become untenable, and the people must be allowed to speak and be listened to, and be able to sanction the government if this is not done to their satisfaction."

Link here http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/EPetitonsbinding/

Ok - they will probably ignore this one too... but eventually they will have to listen to us....
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Totally agree and signed...

Comment

Holy cow!

It would be way too easy to generate 100k signatures! Thats only (very roughly) 0.1% of the population! We'd be constantly snowed under with referendums. Absolutely crazy proposition!

Perhaps if the number were higher (say 5 million?) it might be workable.

Anyway, if anyone isn't happy with this governments policies - DONT VOTE FOR THEM!

PLEASE DONT VOTE FOR THEM!!!!
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by humero
        Totally agree and signed...
        <ozzy>You're all feckin maaad!

Ok, if you want 75% of your tax to be spent on referendums (referendii?)
        , go ahead!

Comment

totaly agree and signed
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Signed
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Got my vote.
              Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                Holy cow!

It would be way too easy to generate 100k signatures! Thats only (very roughly) 0.1% of the population! We'd be constantly snowed under with referendums. Absolutely crazy proposition!

Perhaps if the number were higher (say 5 million?) it might be workable.

Anyway, if anyone isn't happy with this governments policies - DONT VOTE FOR THEM!

PLEASE DONT VOTE FOR THEM!!!!

Thinking about it that makes sense...100,000 is a bit low it would be a referendum everyday. But I do think that if they put something like this up on the web then they should pay attention to the petitions and do something about them, and I will not be voting for them at the next election - didn't at the last and won't do in the future.

Comment

I can see no-one's really thought of the cost and time implications of holding a referendum every time 0.2% of the population come up with a crazy scheme.... (0.2% is conservative)

Whilst I cant stand Mr B Liar, I really hope he ignores this one!

Comment

Whilst I cant stand Mr B Liar, I really hope he ignores this one!
                    well he seemed to ignore the previous petition, so i don't suppose this one will be taken up, i've signed it and i've dropped a link off to a number of forums.

after 9/11 and 7/7 we will never have a free democracy again. fact
                    The benchmark....

Comment

Got my vote, but apache does have a point, anyway this will be ignored as all governments ignor the will of the people once elected (Thatcher did the same) it would need to be thrashed out in parliament.

Anyway I think this e-petition malarky is just a way for the gov to get names and addresses of possible subversives and general trouble makers!! Think about it!!
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                        Anyway I think this e-petition malarky is just a way for the gov to get names and addresses of possible subversives and general trouble makers!! Think about it!!
                        <X-Files Music>

Jeez, this forum used to be a fun place. Everywhere I look now there's either moaning about the govt (fair point, but depressing) or almost overt racism (disturbing)

Comment

<X-Files Music>

Jeez, this forum used to be a fun place. Everywhere I look now there's either moaning about the govt (fair point, but depressing) or almost overt racism (disturbing)

Not from me.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                            Not from me.
                            Bless you my son.

Comment

It's still a fun place, but occasionally people need to vent their frustrations among friends, or they'd probably go and blow something up.
                              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                              X