No announcement yet.

Redundancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have a strong working relationship with your clients, I would strongly suggest going into business yourself.

I did this 5 years ago when the company I joined went belly up. I should really have looked at them a lot more carefully as I had been with my previous employer for 7 or 8 years & had the pension plan etc, etc. I ended up being tempted by the big salary & the big car, what a mistake, 6 months later - no job!

Practically all of my clients were very sympathetic & supportive & it was actually one of them that suggested branching out on my own. I'm glad they did as I've now been self-employed for 5 years. I've resisted the temptation to grow the business to the point where I need to employ people, I now just take on staff as I need them and treat them as self-employed too, paying them a daily or weekly fee as required. It's up to them to declare their own tax. Although I keep pretty busy most of the time, I still get the opportunity to make my hours suit my lifestyle so I'll work on projects during the day & maybe do some paperwork in the evening as I'm a bit of an owl. If I lie in 'till 9.00 next morning, it's not a problem, I don't have someone looking over my shoulder.

In case you're wondering, I design & build exhibitions for companies. I take them all over the UK & Europe. I work for a few fairly well known Scottish companies & have also built fairly large stands for Shell.

Because I'm a small business I have to try & provide something unique & I think thats the key to being sucessful. If there is a particular niche in your line of business you can exploit then go for it. I recon you'd never look back! And if you ever get big enough to need to exhibit, remember who told you first

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      $$$$$$ POLES nicked em all

Join the club. They are nicking all our jobs too (Artics)

AND because they work for less than us you can kiss goodbye to any wage rises.

Thank god I'm emigrating.....

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
        Mark

I'm sorry to hear about that, I hate to see/hear this kind of thing happen. Send me your CV, while I can't promise anything, my firm has a huge number of Dell laptops and servers in use globally, although HP won the supply contract for this financial year. If I can't find something, I'll send it on to some friends and IBM, their contract agency and Fujitsu.

send it to andrew.griffiths@accenture.com

Like I said, I can't promise anything will happen, but worth a shot, right?
        Andrew you don't work for GE do you as they have gone over to HP.
        Accenture i see it now, They have an office near M/cr Airport.
        I will email my CV over as soon as i've updated it. CHEERS
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          So is it the admin side of things that you do, Jessie? If so, and I were you, I'd seriously think about trying to contract to small businesses.
          Matt im totally HARDWARE no Microsoft Certs MCP or MCSE FISH call me back
          Last edited by marky; 16 February 2007, 11:50.
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

Ive been for a Meeting today with my Manager to discuss the possibility that my position within the Company (UNISYS) is at risk.

I work on the DELL Computer contract & have been for the last 8 Years for this Company Previously to that i worked for DEC (Digital) on the same Contract up until Compaq bought them out. DELL pulled the plug as they were a rival. In all i have worked with DELL for 10 Years. Laptops, Desktops & Servers. I am DELL DCSE Certified and ESF Certified on there Servers & Storage. They are still keeping the Contractors on.

Just as i was getting my head together after the loss of my Father & this Happens.
            Aint Life a Bitch!
            i was made redundant a few years back and can honestly say it was the best thing that ever happened to me, someone on here just the other day was saying the same thing, they had been made redundant, found new employment and are now very happy http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30553, it may not seem like it at the moment and is easy to say but sometimes and lets hope so in your case these things can do us a favour - good luck mate
            Bunkle
            Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Thanks Graham. Its not easy when your MORTGAGE is £1000 a month, Ive not been laid off yet so im keeping myself busy Contacting my existing Customers.
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

i've managed to get my own business up and running recently, it involves print, marketing etc so if you do go the self employed route i'll sort you out some freebie business cards (plastic ones) - not much in the scheme of things but let me know
                Bunkle
                Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
                  i've managed to get my own business up and running recently, it involves print, marketing etc so if you do go the self employed route i'll sort you out some freebie business cards (plastic ones) - not much in the scheme of things but let me know
                  Will do thanks!
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Will do thanks!
                    All the best in your search Mark. The self employed route can be damned tough if you go down that route, and there are no guarantees of income, but I would side with the others who have suggested it. I wouldn't change back to being employed.

Comment

Try this for size...

The people I work for are relocating south. For one reason and another, I cant do that.

However, because I'm whats known as a 'mobile grade' (something I never signed up for, but arrived unknown to me during a promotion) I either move or am classed as resigned. No redundancy payment, not so much as a thankyou.

This is happening in about a year and a half, so I have a bit of time to sort something out, but it's a bit of a dark cloud on the horizon!

Systems Engineer For Sale!

Extensive experience in military aviation hardware environment...

Any takers? Thought not...
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

This COUNTRY SUCKS
                        Last edited by marky; 16 February 2007, 14:51.
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                          Try this for size...

The people I work for are relocating south. For one reason and another, I cant do that.

However, because I'm whats known as a 'mobile grade' (something I never signed up for, but arrived unknown to me during a promotion) I either move or am classed as resigned. No redundancy payment, not so much as a thankyou.

This is happening in about a year and a half, so I have a bit of time to sort something out, but it's a bit of a dark cloud on the horizon!

Systems Engineer For Sale!

Extensive experience in military aviation hardware environment...

Any takers? Thought not...
                          surely that would come under "constructive dismissal"??

and they can't do that... it's where you have no option but to resign
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

This COUNTRY SUCKS
                            can't you just get another job??
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                              can't you just get another job??
                              I'm LOOKING
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                                surely that would come under "constructive dismissal"??

and they can't do that... it's where you have no option but to resign
                                You would have thought so wouldn't you? It will affect around 250 people on the site I work for. Cant go into it too deeply on a public forum really, but it appears to suck like an Electrolux!
                                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                                X