tweaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tweaking

can anybody give me any advice on whether its worth adjusting the little screw under the thimble(technical term)on the injection pump ,read a couple of threads and some folk recon it gives you a bit more power and the truck runs better is this true?

if it aint broke...

unless you know exactly what you're doing i wouldn't adjust anything that i couldn't put back to original setting if i were to encounter a problem. but it's up to you, if you feel confident you know what you're doing, go for it.
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Some folk on the forum have done this tweek with varying degrees of sucsess, but no terminal failures yet.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by brian88883
        can anybody give me any advice on whether its worth adjusting the little screw under the thimble(technical term)on the injection pump ,read a couple of threads and some folk recon it gives you a bit more power and the truck runs better is this true?
        Yes it is
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Tweak it, deffo worth the ten mins effort to take you very close to 3ltr range and still better MPH.

Comment

go for spaceing out the turbo actuator while you are at it
            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
              go for spaceing out the turbo actuator while you are at it

You mean the wastegate John!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                oh is that what it was i stuck the washer behind then, as usual silly ol me
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

What is this mod please, is it worth doing?

Comment

Originally posted by brian88883
                    Without doubt this is worth doing. I had a running problem that felt like mild fuel starvation while cruising between 30-40 mph. Since turning the adjuster about seven clicks clockwise this has gone and performance is better. I drove a 3ltr 3rd gen last week and this had no more umph than mine so definately think it worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by beaufighter
                      What is this mod please, is it worth doing?

I done mine over a year ago now with no problems.
                      It increases the boost pressure of the turbo, or rather it lets the turbo spool up higher before the waste gate opens.
                      It's advisable to fit a boost gauge, but I didn't. I think the spring in the wastegate actuator weakens over time, and packing it out with the washers brings the boost pressure back to where it was when the truck was new.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cheapboost.htm

Comment

Vince, how many washers did you pack it out by? I did 3x3mm and noticed an immediate improvement. Did you do the fuel pump mod as well?

Thanks

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet
                          Vince, how many washers did you pack it out by? I did 3x3mm and noticed an immediate improvement. Did you do the fuel pump mod as well?

Thanks

Simon

The same amount of washers as you and a quarter turn clockwise on the screw.

Comment

I done mine over a year ago now with no problems.
                            It increases the boost pressure of the turbo, or rather it lets the turbo spool up higher before the waste gate opens.
                            It's advisable to fit a boost gauge, but I didn't. I think the spring in the wastegate actuator weakens over time, and packing it out with the washers brings the boost pressure back to where it was when the truck was new.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cheapboost.htm
                            I'll try this. Thanks for your help Vince.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet

Thanks

Simon
                              Do you mean 3 washers total, I assume that you don't mean 3x3 i.e. a spacing of 9 mm in all. Sorry if this seems an odd question but have not taken cover off so don't know what is inside.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X